Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

Captain Avengers, Infinity Stone trailer has dropped...😁

This would have been funny if he was actually trying to name the characters and not pretending to not know who the characters were... now all we have is a lame sketch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Holds are comparable to BatB, Cinderella (2015), and Oz, which all had a smidge under 50% drops:

Oz: -47.9%

Cinderell0a: -48.5%

BatB: -49%

IF Disney hasn't overestimated it again, that is.  Still, it does look to be in the right ballpark.

Now in regards to 100m, Disney isn't in the habit of fudging, but it is kinda/sorta in the habit of leaving films in theaters for a long time if it wants to.  

I could see a scenario where they keep AWiT in a handful of theaters late into the summer unless it utterly and completely self-destructs later on.  Take Cinderella (2015).  It stayed in theaters until September.  Now that was gunning for 200m, so yes it is a different situation.  But we're not talking about a huge money maker here those last four months:

Even after it hit 200m, it still was in theaters inching along.

So I'm not going to quite bury AWiT's 100m possibility, if only because it is exactly the type of kid/young girl friendly movie that can find a niche and burrow there for a while in some theaters, even as it does a pittance.

Tangled stayed in theaters for the same reason

• Like 1

Pacific Rim was a cool movie with a real different take on giant robots than the usual Transformers take and I could watch that over and over.

Pacific Rim 2 just looks like a cheap Transformers rip-off, sadly.  I enjoy Transformers just as much as the next guy but I'm not really there for a cheap Transformers rip-off that looks nothing like the first Pacific Rim and apparently feels nothing like it either. And if someone like me is not excited about it at all then you know it's gonna flop real badly, at least in places outside of China anyway.

On a fun semi-flopping-related note I've just re-watched Warcraft this afternoon and it's real fun and I still find it disappointing how badly it failed in most markets, I'd really have loved a sequel.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Pacific Rim was a cool movie with a real different take on giant robots than the usual Transformers take and I could watch that over and over.

Pacific Rim 2 just looks like a cheap Transformers rip-off, sadly.  I enjoy Transformers just as much as the next guy but I'm not really there for a cheap Transformers rip-off that looks nothing like the first Pacific Rim and apparently feels nothing like it either. And if someone like me is not excited about it at all then you know it's gonna flop real badly, at least in places outside of China anyway.

On a fun semi-flopping-related note I've just re-watched Warcraft this afternoon and it's real fun and I still find it disappointing how badly it failed in most markets, I'd really have loved a sequel.

Arlborn.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Pacific Rim really wasn't a good film for me, all it had was the premise, which I have already seen done executed a 100x better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

I'm not doing anything to myself....I haven't seen the movie and doubt I'd like it so nothing vested there.  But it has been beating TR on MT.com, is a family movie and should have decent Sat/Sun after a Friday that was better than what I expected so... I'm making a semi-bold prediction which is what we do here?

It also was beating Black Panther on MT last weekend and made 8 million less. Obviously that means nothing.

I loved Pacific Rim when it 1st came out, but I did kinda Phantom Menace myself into believing it was dope and awesome. Watching it these many years and far more maturity as a film buff later, yeah, it's not a particularly good movie. Way too much dull exposition, terrible main character and performance, couple of plot holes, and honestly just a drab, bland movie apart from the pretty colors everytime the big fights went down. However, it's still fun to watch in parts. There were a couple of pretty memorable characters (Perlman/Day/Elba/Riko... Reiko... something like that), AND the actual fight scenes between the robots and the monsters were pretty awesome... yeah, they were slow and heavy - which isn't exactly Gundam Wing style by any means - but, to me, that only emphasized the colossal scale and scope of these sequences. PR is a meh movie overall, but it's entertaining just enough for my tastes to get by.

PR2, however, looks HORRIBLE. Like, absolutely horrendous. It looks like Bayformers V2, or at worst, The Asylum's Bayformers (actually, that already exists for real.... but this would be a remake version). It was cartoonishly bad looking, and I have no hopes that it's a good movie by any means. It's made entirely to make big bucks in China, and nothing else. Well, I hope the Chinese people love it, because I'm really not feeling it.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

5 years is such a weird gap for a sequel to come out. Too long to take advantage of any momentum from the first while too short for people to start having nostalgia for the first. 

Not that Pacific Rim 2 would have done much better if it was released in 2016 or 2023. 

I have seen the Pacific Rim 2 trailer twice this weekend (once before Tomb Raider and once before Hurricane Heist). The trailers’s remix of the 2Pac song is effing terrible (which is a crime in itself). The “War-ing” sounds like BOOOORING. All I could think is this movie is subliminally trying to tell me something. 

YM next week openers predictions:

Sherlock Gnomes: $20M - With rampant marketing, a while since there’s been an animated movie, Time didn’t make a spark however it looks awful. An OW around IA5 and Storks.

Pacific Rim Uprising: $18M - This is going to bomb so hard. Not even the fans of the original are interested.

Paul, Apostle of Christ: $8.5M - I feel opening so close to ICOI will hurt it’s OW also I don’t see big numbers in the first place.

Midnight Sun: $4M - That seems pretty fair imo. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Well TR is selling nice tonite..  20/ min on pulse.. the fantasy of some about LS  to take down the weekend crow is melting hour by hour..

What does that even mean?

People need to stop thinking studios fudge numbers other than very, very, very, very rarely.  

Yeah, there are times where it happens like Spectre, but there is no fudge happening with Fifty Shades right now.  Universal only has one movie in the market place at the moment and they are asking theaters to hold onto a show per day of it.  That is how the theater count is staying up and how the gross is still going.  

There is no conspiracy, they simply helping the film out by keeping it going by offering theaters an incentive to play it.  

There can be manipulation, but everyone reports to the same service that everyone can plainly see not only the numbers but where exactly they are coming from.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

People need to stop thinking studios fudge numbers other than very, very, very, very rarely.  

Yeah, there are times where it happens like Spectre, but there is no fudge happening with Fifty Shades right now.  Universal only has one movie in the market place at the moment and they are asking theaters to hold onto a show per day of it.  That is how the theater count is staying up and how the gross is still going.  

There is no conspiracy, they simply helping the film out by keeping it going by offering theaters an incentive to play it.  

There can be manipulation, but everyone reports to the same service that everyone can plainly see not only the numbers but where exactly they are coming from.  

A lot of people claim fudge when they don't like a film and want it to fail as much as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sliver Legion said:

C U L T U R A L P H E N O M E N O N

And no major competition. :P 

No knack to WBs but they should have put RPO in TR spot. I've seen better marketing for that movie and it actually has decent reviews comparing both films when they both had around 25 reviews. But I guess around Easter was better for all parties. 

Edited by Belle