Eric is Quiet

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

38 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not saying you're wrong, but if it opens #3 of 3 of the openers, you really think Love Simon will last long enough in theaters to hit a 3.93x?  Do teen rom-coms normally pull that kinda multiplier, especially when another teen movie, RPO, is coming in 2 weeks?  I mean, there are lots of movies to fit the next few weeks, and not lots of open screens right now (and I can't see BP or the Rabbit getting punted, especially before Easter:).  I mean, I hope you're right...but I can see ICOI getting a longer tail from the heartland and Love Simon getting a shorter run in the metros to fit everything that needs to fit, leading to some adjustments on both your multipliers...

RPO and LS are appealing to two different segments of the teen audience, males and females, respectively, with some crossover, of course. RPO will also draw in the action going crowd and maybe more depending on its reviews. LS has the comedic market locked up plus it has that high RT score working in its favor to attract adults. 

As for ICOI, I think we’ll get a better sense of where it is headed after Saturday’s numbers. I have no idea where it is headed. After scanning Twitter reactions for both ICOI and LS, their respective audiences love their films. It will be fun to see which film has the better WOM.

• Like 3

Deadline's Weekend Estimates http://deadline.com/2018/03/tomb-raider-black-panther-love-simon-box-office-weekend-1202339172/

1) Black Panther (DIS), 3,834 theaters (-108)  / $7.4M Fri  (-26%) / 3-day: $28.5M (-30%)/Total: $606.8M/Wk 5

2) Tomb Raider (MGM/WB), 3,854 theaters  / $9M Fri (includes $2.1M of previews) /3-day: $23.5M /Wk 1

3) A Wrinkle in Time (DIS), 3,980 theaters (0)  / $4.6m Fri (55%)/3-day: $17M (-49%)/Total: $61.5M/Wk 2

4) I Can Only Imagine (RSA/LG), 1,629 theaters  / $6.2M Fri /3-day: $15.1M /Wk 1

5) Love, Simon (FOX), 2,402 theaters  / $4.6M Fri /3-day: $11.7M /Wk 1

6) Game Night (NL/WB), 2,686 theaters (-375) / $1.7m Fri (-22%)/3-day: $6M (-24%)/Total: $54.5M/Wk 4

7) Peter Rabbit (SONY), 2,725 theaters (-387)  / $1.4M Fri (-5%) /3-day: $5.9M (-12%) /Total: $103.1M/Wk 6

8) Strangers: Prey at Night (AVI), 2,464 theaters  (0)/ $1.5M Fri (-62%) /3-day: $5.1M (-51%)/Total:$18.9M/Wk 2

9) Red Sparrow (FOX), 2,583 theaters (-481)  / $1.3m Fri (-43%)/3-day: $4.8M (-44%)/Total: $39.9M/ Wk 3

10) Death Wish (MGM), 2,676 theaters (-206)  / $954M Fri (-45%)/3-day: $3.4M (-48%)/Total: $30M/Wk 3

11)7 Days in Entebbe (FOCUS), 838 theaters  / $544k Fri /3-day: $1.8M /Wk 1

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I Can Only Imagine’s debut is amazing. Under 2,000 theaters and mid to high teens.when was the last time a film did that wasn’t it Borat or Hannah Montana?

Flight opened to $24M in less than 2,000 theaters six years ago.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Love, Simon:

4.6M

6M (+30%)

3.9M (-35%)

14.5M Weekend

Oh fuck, that's what I put in the Derby :ohmygod: 

Maybe it could happen, but Saturday going to be $6m after a $3.75m true Friday?  Sunday bigger than true Friday?

• Sad 1

Not surprised that Tomb Raider was pretty much a non-starter. Any amount of '90s nostalgia attached to the brand name was probably cancelled out by the poor reception the Angelina Jolie films got in the early-'00s.

I'm stunned that I Can Only Imagine did so well. I remember hearing the song all the time during my sophomore year because my math teacher played the Christian radio station while we worked (betcha can tell I went to Catholic school, huh?), but I didn't know it had this much pull with audiences. It may well have just killed whatever potential the next two weeks' Christian films might have had.

It would have been nice to see Love, Simon go higher, but the fact that a mainstream teen comedy with an openly gay protagonist even exists (and that the MPAA didn't do something stupidly homophobic like slapping it with an R just for gay content) already feels like a big win.

But above all, it's cool to see that Black Panther will be #1 for the fifth weekend in a row. Hell yeah.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Flight's theater count situation was so strange, why hedge your bets on a strong Denzel performance and a big action sequence?

I guess the studio thought the fact it was a drama about alcoholism would turn people off.

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Anyone know? 

don't know about that. china is $12.3(78 yuan) + $16.1(102 yuan) on fri + sat. 30% drop on sunday will give it $39.7 ow! despite PRU releasing next weekend $60+ total is locked in china. imo both dom and china could do $60-65 for $120-130 from these 2 markets. if $106 prod budget 'rumor' from deadline is true then 2.5x that is $265 which it should manage ww. maybe more. but dom performance is a bit off unless it shows non-video game legs. after all...

Spoiler

...it's the best video game movie ever

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But then Blockers opens in its fourth week 🤔

I believe someone tweeted out that John Cena's bare ass also appears in the film, so that movie will also take away some of Simon's gay audience members.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

3 hours ago, straggler said:

It very clearly depicted what was going on as a bad thing and in no way condoned it. It was a classic lifeboat situation. Good scifi makes us think about the human condition, and that involves placing characters in unusual situations. There is a big difference between depicting and condoning. What contemporary film critics can no longer handle is a film that depicts something deplorable but that then does not turn it into a heavyhanded lecture, that leaves the moral unpacking to the audience which is more than capable of handling it. If Paths of Glory were made today, the court martial scene would have to be like A Few Good Men with Kirk Douglas's character shouting "I want the truth!." LOL. Was Passengers underwritten? Yes. Could it have been better? Sure. But the idea that it did not know what it was depicting is wrong. It just did not become a morality play.   

Thank you!

Passengers GOOD movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I believe someone tweeted out that John Cena's bare ass also appears in the film, so that movie will also take away some of Simon's gay audience members.

I remember seeing his ass in some movie with Amy Schumer and I never seen a man with such a tight ass

Deadline always says "secretly this movie cost this" when it disappoints or flops. They did it with A Wrinkle in Time and they are doing it with Tomb Raider. I don't know what to think about that because I almost never see them do that with out and out hit films. 

• Like 2