Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

8 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Love, Simon finally passed a 3.0 multiplier on Friday, something that the much more hyped TR and PRU will not do and AWIT may barely achieve. Still, it's disappointing given the A+ Cinemascore and with ICOI only days away from reaching a 4.0 multiplier after opening on the same day. I'm not sure if LS was too young for adults or too gay for straight people or possibly both. Then again, rom coms are a tough sell nowadays for some reason.

My friend refused to see it with me even though I said it was good because of the setting. I said he should still see it, but nope - still refused lol. 

• Sad 1

There have been a lot of truly legit blockbusters comparable in adjusted gross to the big event movies of the 70s/80s in the past few years. Heck, we had two in the last five months and it's looking very possible that we'll have another in due time.

Comparing the two using a simplistic adjustment system makes the feats all the more impressive, imo

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There have been a lot of truly legit blockbusters comparable in adjusted gross to the big event movies of the 70s/80s in the past few years. Heck, we had two in the last five months and it's looking very possible that we'll have another in due time.

Comparing the two using a simplistic adjustment system makes the feats all the more impressive, imo

And much like back then, there are also far less movies that are hitting the blockbuster mark at all. Since last summer, we’ve had IT, Thor, Jumanji, TLJ, and BP for genuine blockbusters. Of course back then it was simply a matter of nowhere near the volume of big budget type popcorn flicks as today. Now it’s more of a feast or famine dynamic.

Edited by MovieMan89

Saw AQP. Really freaking good. Who knew Jim from the office had such great directing abilities?? Top 5 thus far this year.

1. A quiet place

2. Ready player one 

3. Black Panther 

4. Hostiles

5. Game Night

Havent seen Blockers yet

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The sound categories seem like a given for A Quiet Place. Original Screenplay probably stands a decent chance as well because of how fucking empty that category is. Everything else is a bit early to judge.

I disagree about Original Screenplay. It'll be an uphill battle with its lack of dialogue, even in a low-competition race.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slambros said:

I disagree about Original Screenplay. It'll be an uphill battle with its lack of dialogue, even in a low-competition race.

Agree, AQP is kind of the movie that it doesn't look great in words, and rely how director visualize the tension of its screenplay.....just like dunkirk, imagine how poor it would be in written form.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slambros said:

The writer members nominate screenplays, though, so they may appreciate the difficulty and novelty of it.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Let’s be honest, just getting one great blockbuster nominated should be considered a win

It let’s be honest there has only been a couple of great blockbuster this decaded. 

14 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

It let’s be honest there has only been a couple of great blockbuster this decaded. 

That’s true but a lot of the Oscar noms aren’t much better so?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

A Quiet Place:

Apr 6: 54M (21.6M weekdays, 75.6M Total)

Apr 13: 37.8M (12.9M weekdays, 126.3M Total)

Apr 20: 22.5M (7.5M weekdays, 156.3M Total)

Apr 27: 11.2M (4M weekdays, 171.5M Total)

May 4: 7.6M (2.6M weekdays, 181.7M Total)

May 11: 4.7M (1.3M weekdays, 187.7M Total)

May 18: 1.8M (600k weekdays, 190.1M Total)

May 25: 900k (500k weekdays, 191.5M Total)

Final Total: 194M (3.59x)

Is this better for you fuckers? :apocalypse: 

Blockers:

Apr 6: 23.2M (7.7M weekdays, 30.9M Total)

Apr 13: 12M (4.4M weekdays, 47.3M Total)

Apr 20: 7.6M (2.6M weekdays, 57.5M Total)

Apr 27: 3.6M (1.3M weekdays, 62.4M Total)

May 4: 2.3M (900k weekdays, 65.6M Total)

May 11: 1.4M (400k weekdays, 67.4M Total)

May 18: 500k (100k weekdays, 68M Total)

Final Total: 70M (3.02x)

The B Cinemascore makes me think Game Night legs are out of the question, but it'll end up with a very good total. If there weren't two comedies and Infinity War coming out later this month, 80M would've been in reach.

$54M seems like an awful optimistic weekend # to start from right now...Sunday night is gonna be dead, and Saturday will be hard pressed to beat overall Friday (Friday + previews)...so, I'm not sure how you get to that OW number except a little faith?:)

I mean $19, $19, and $12.5 gets me to $50.5M...are you even more optimistic than a 30% real Friday jump today and a 34% drop on Sunday?

(Now, that being said, I hope you're right b/c I love that this year all these premier movies are just doing great...and the only real disappointments are the reboots and sequels:)...

16 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

The writer members nominate screenplays, though, so they may appreciate the difficulty and novelty of it.  Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I know that. But the lack of dialogue does not hurt a movie’s chance like Slambros said. 

I dunno. There's no denying how difficult it is to tell a story with minimal words or no words. But I do think this would be a Dunkirk situation rather than a The Artist situation. But I'd love to be proven wrong; I haven't seen the film but I can tell that it's groundbreaking stuff. We'll see.

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

That’s true but a lot of the Oscar noms aren’t much better so?

Yeah I honestly would be okay with them not nominating blockbuster films much if they would actually nominate films that were better than those blockbusters more often. 

• Like 2