CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, LonePirate said:

Now that Baumer has chimed in as liking the film, I am almost tempted to go see it this weekend instead of next weekend. We desperately need the voice of someone who didn't like the film and given my general indifference to most comic book and MCU movies, that might just be me. I would almost definitely need to follow it up by seeing something I know I will like so there goes my Saturday it would seem.

Hmpf.

Leave it to me.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Now that Baumer has chimed in as liking the film, I am almost tempted to go see it this weekend instead of next weekend. We desperately need the voice of someone who didn't like the film and given my general indifference to most comic book and MCU movies, that might just be me. I would almost definitely need to follow it up by seeing something I know I will like so there goes my Saturday it would seem.

There are several people who didn't like it. They're just not posting here, they're in the review thread.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm going to go watch it just for the laughs.

I might have to ask someone to take it outside if they start clapping though...

With that attitude, you will just be wasting money go rather donate that money to a worthwhile cause.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manny1234 said:

I wish their was a counterprgramming film to IW opened today in wide release also so that Tele would like since he is not into the MCU.

If they can have counter programming for Star Wars I don't see why they couldn't for MCU releases. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

With that attitude, you will just be wasting money go rather donate that money to a worthwhile cause.

Good idea i'll buy a ticket to the lowest budget film and sneak into avengers (not hard by the way)

5 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

I wish their was a counterprgramming film to IW opened today in wide release also so that Tele would like since he is not into the MCU.

Well moving the release date effed that up.

11 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

:lol: I likely won't have a chance to see any movie this weekend. But perhaps I can finish up a couple things I've been watching on streaming.

22 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$39m is an awesome preview number. If it has a similar multiplier over the weekend compared to Civil War, it would end up close to $280m for the weekend. Even if it's more frontloaded than Civil War over the weekend, it probably still has a very good chance to make a run at TFA's $248m weekend number. Should be fun to watch.

The history of 200M+ openers says that it'll end up somewhere right around 230M. They differ greatly in Thursday numbers, but true FSS performance is nearly identical.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

:lol: I likely won't have a chance to see any movie this weekend. But perhaps I can finish up a couple things I've been watching on streaming.

You could check out the new Adam Sandler Netflix movie. :sparta:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murgatroyd said:

The history of 200M+ openers says that it'll end up somewhere right around 230M. They differ greatly in Thursday numbers, but true FSS performance is nearly identical.

Interesting point. We'll see how it goes. Should be fun to watch the numbers roll in over the next month with this one.

2 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Really? What was the last relevant record? Just Curious...

Well physical sales declined a lot in recent year's

Frozen is I think the last physical media record setter, it is possible the best bluray sellers in the US (beating Avatar) and in some markets:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-16/frozen-blu-ray-1st-day-in-japan-tops-evangelion-all-time-sales-record/.76732

Anything involving DVD or combined with them has absolutely no chance, bluray alone I imagine maybe LionKing remake could do something but still unlikely.

Not fair to expect movies to beat record in that context:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/584980/finland-annual-dvd-sales-by-revenue/

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/home-entertainment-spending-2017-1202658638/

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/home-entertainment-2016-figures-streaming-eclipses-disc-sales-for-the-first-time-1201954154/

2016 disk sales: 5.4 billion

2017 disk sales: 4.7 billion

If you look here:

https://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

Force Awakens sold less than a movie like despicable me 2 and in 2017 nothing sold 85% than a movie like Hunger Games, Rogues One sold less bluray than Hangover, about the same has Fast and Furious 6, will be hard to beat any relevant record (i.e. most in the US, most Worldwide).

Maybe the first Lion Kings that is already high could get close at the release of the new one or the new one too.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

Getting Hard to Be a God into theaters was sadly a no go.

• Astonished 1