CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't lie, I thought that after Ultron and Civil War had their respective drops that another big team up wouldn't be such an event, and even less GA appeal because of the continuity stuff. But when you factor in Guardians and Black Panther (and Spider-Man and Strange I guess, I don't think they added much in terms of BO though), it clearly ended up being this massive event. Plus, people didn't take it as a Part One, and they didn't market it as such, which is huge and not what I expected. After that first trailer dropped and I get all those views I knew I was kinda fucked tbh.

You don't think Spider-Man, one of the most popular and recognizable superheroes across the planet for the last half century, helped Infinity War? He was in all the posters and trailers and had a surprisingly sizable role in the movie. Don't downplay the webhead.

• Like 1

I do think the ending is helping this movie in a weird way. Everyone's talking about it. You almost feel like you need to see it just so you get what other people are talking about even if you yourself aren't that into this universe. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I think AoU just wasn't an event. The Avengers and IW are both movies that EVERYONE won't shut up about. AoU was just a regular sequel. 

Regardless of whether it was an event or not it still doesnt answer my question. 

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I already said that the fight hurt the film for one day and only one day but you had fanboys claiming that it somehow hurt the film during it's entire run. 

But I never said that

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

May I ask, if is that 78m-83m Saturday inclusive of 39m Thursday preview?

Saturday numbers never include thursday previews

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't lie, I thought that after Ultron and Civil War had their respective drops that another big team up wouldn't be such an event, and even less GA appeal because of the continuity stuff. But when you factor in Guardians and Black Panther (and Spider-Man and Strange I guess, I don't think they added much in terms of BO though), it clearly ended up being this massive event. Plus, people didn't take it as a Part One, and they didn't market it as such, which is huge and not what I expected. Also the reviews were good, better than I expected them to be (though honestly, if you had show me the same movie and not told me the RT score, I would have thought that it was like 55%) After that first trailer dropped and I get all those views I knew I was kinda fucked tbh.

Phase 3's quality is not getting enough credit.

It played a huge factor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At this point I'm gonna predict like a 100m OW for freaking Ant-Man, plenty of people are gonna be waiting for anything Marvel after this movie and what happens in it. All I have to say about that is all hail Paul Rudd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I do think the ending is helping this movie in a weird way. Everyone's talking about it. You almost feel like you need to see it just so you get what other people are talking about even if you yourself aren't that into this universe. 

This.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

At this point I'm gonna predict like a 100m OW for freaking Ant-Man, plenty of people are gonna be waiting for anything Marvel after this movie and what happens in it. All I have to say about that is all hail Paul Rudd.

I've been banging that drum for a while. Ant-Man 2 is gonna do Winter Soldier numbers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I mean he's... fine? He didn't really get a chance to shine and the movie leaned way too much into his comedic nature, turning him into a punching bag most of the time. I wouldn't put him in a top 5 list or anything like that, but he was enjoyable enough. It'd be nice to see him again, Spader was great in the role. 

Ultron was a fantastic villain until he made that dumb children joke 10 minutes after his intro. I could feel his villainous credibility drop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Captain Marvel is gonna get the boost from IW rather than AM, or atleast a bigger boost. People already know and have seen AM and unless it somehow ties into IW directly then it wouldn’t receive much of a boost. CM on the other hand s new, and the first MCU female SH and if it ties into all the IW shenanigans then people will flock to it to get some idea about what is going on. 

• Like 2

Avengers 4 is also in a good spot right now. It'll have Ant-Man and Captain Marvel as the new marquee draws, along with everyone wanting to see the follow-up to Infinity War's ending. I don't think it will beat IW's opening, but it should come close. 

Goddamn I'm the only one in my family who liked it. But I fucking loved it.

My cousin whose 10 said it was too long. My mum had never seen a marvel movie other than Guardians 2 didn't get it, and my dad is the most cynical moviegoer I've ever met. Hasn't liked a movie since Jumanji

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

*cough shamelessplug cough*

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 1

Okay I just did more MATH. If Ant-Man has the same increase as Thor to Thor 2, it does about 74. If it follows Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3, it does about 77. And if it does the same as Captain America 1 to Captain America 2, it does about 83. Those are the three sequels that got the immediate post Avengers bounce. So while it should definitely be high, 100 seems....kinda tough.

• Thanks 1