CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

17 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Evans and ScarJo have explicitly stated that they wanted them to be Work Spouses.  That was the dynamic everyone came up with on The Winter Soldier.  (Which is why the script flips the typical love interest and sidekick/best friend roles; Falcon is the love interest, Widow is the Best Friend/Sidekick).  What's so god-damn frustrating is Widow and Hawkeye were suppose to be together.  But Joss Whedon decided in AOU he wanted to show "that men and women could be friends" and forced BruceNat on on us -- instead of just having Widow/Hawkeye be dating and expand on Cap and Widow's friendship that was developed in TWS.

But BruceNat gave us this...

Which then gave us this.. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Box Office Freak said:

Wow, when I was watching Infinity War, I was really surprised by how well the Russos wrote the Guardians but if Gunn really wrote them then that makes so much more sense because it really does show. 

The Russos are not writers.  Marcus & McFeely  (The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier, Civil War) are.  Gunn wrote some dialogue but AFAIK far from most of it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Okay, I'll give you that. But stuff like "I should have joined you in the shower" made me want to die. Considering what's come to light of Whedon since that movie, it seems obvious he doesn't really understand romancing women.

Here's a hot take on Bruce and Nat that I came up with while trying not to punch my TV during our MCU Countdown rewatch of AOU:

She's manipulating him.  She wants to control the Hulk.  That husky voice Scarlett uses in Age of Ultron is NOT how Natasha normally talks.  It's how she talks to men she's trying to manipulate (ala "you think I'm pretty, Hi Sailor.").  Know who does talk like that?  Liv Tyler's Betty Ross.  If you view the whole thing as a mark, it ALMOST works.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's not fair, the acting was still good.

True but they lacked chemistry. I never bought them as a couple.

It says something that I noticed Vision/Scarlet, their first scene in IW....I bought their relationship from the get go. 

• Like 2

Yall can drag other stuff. But I won’t stand for slandering of Ultron, who is easily top-tier MCU villain.

@Chewy look at all these misguided folks.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

Here's a hot take on Bruce and Nat that I came up with while trying not to punch my TV during our MCU Countdown rewatch of AOU:

She's manipulating him.  She wants to control the Hulk.  That husky voice Scarlett uses in Age of Ultron is NOT how Natasha normally talks.  It's how she talks to men she's trying to manipulate (ala "you think I'm pretty, Hi Sailor.").  Know who does talk like that?  Liv Tyler's Betty Ross.  If you view the whole thing as a mark, it ALMOST works.  

The sad thing is in a single post you put more thought into Widow's character than Whedon did the whole movie.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Yall can drag other stuff. But I won’t stand for slandering of Ultron, who is easily top-tier MCU villains.

@Chewy look at these misguided folks.

I mean he's... fine? He didn't really get a chance to shine and the movie leaned way too much into his comedic nature, turning him into a punching bag most of the time. I wouldn't put him in a top 5 list or anything like that, but he was enjoyable enough. It'd be nice to see him again, Spader was great in the role. 

52 minutes ago, Box Office Freak said:

There's going to be more Avengers films tho right? I can't imagine that they would let that franchise go.

Plus it's become a huge part of the marvel formula. You have a few solo movies and then an Avengers movie....a few solo movies and then an Avengers movie.....etc.

What would they do if Avengers 4 really is the last one?

A billion X-Men movies and X-Men spin offs.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The Russos are not writers.  Marcus & McFeely  (The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier, Civil War) are.  Gunn wrote some dialogue but AFAIK far from most of it. 

There's a Hollywood Reporter Interview with M&M where they say:

Markus: James' contributions were primarily voice-related, to make sure that we are not rolling out people who bear no resemblance to people in the preceding Guardians movies. He was on board everywhere we were taking them. He adjusted one choice in the movie that didn't really affect how the movie played, but it affected character a little bit. It was a very interesting choice, and first we wavered on it, and then [Guardians star Chris] Pratt backed him up. And we acknowledged, if anyone knows these characters, it's them.

McFeely. That's the benefit of all of this. The filmmakers who spent a lot of time with these characters get to come in and help us make sure we are getting it letter perfect. There are 23 people on that poster, so there are going to be people who are slightly more expert at those characters than we are. So, we did that with everybody. [Doctor Strange director Scott] Derrickson and [Black Panther director Ryan] Coogler and Taika and [Ant-Man director] Peyton Reed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Uh if it makes 80 it is a lock to do 245mil plus. I'm honestly expecting a 15-18% Sunday drop.

Who knew Gitesh was more pressed than a grilled cheese sandwich?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yea this is breaking the opening weekend record for sure lol. Every single mega opener like this has had Sunday spillover business to mitigate drops

After $185m of business in 2.5 days, there is bound to be some pretty good spillover. Would be stunned if Gitesh's prediction of a 30% Sunday drop comes true. I think maybe around 17-21% drop for Sunday. 

• Like 1