CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Evans and ScarJo have explicitly stated that they wanted them to be Work Spouses.  That was the dynamic everyone came up with on The Winter Soldier.  (Which is why the script flips the typical love interest and sidekick/best friend roles; Falcon is the love interest, Widow is the Best Friend/Sidekick).  What's so god-damn frustrating is Widow and Hawkeye were suppose to be together.  But Joss Whedon decided in AOU he wanted to show "that men and women could be friends" and forced BruceNat on on us -- instead of just having Widow/Hawkeye be dating and expand on Cap and Widow's friendship that was developed in TWS.

The Russos wanted them as work spouses and also said in a movie that spanned three days they didn't want to get into a romantic relationship even though they spent more than half of it together.  Evans and Scarlett  said they liked the friendship aspect but also thought the door was left open to possibly more later.   Now I gather it's closed because being friends who respect and enjoy one another with a ton of chemistry is obviously a poor foundation for an actual romantic relationship. ^_^

Whedon is the one who wrote Nat and Clint in Avengers (where they shared about 5 minutes of non romantic screen time) so he knows what he had planned for them.  But by doing Nat/Bruce he just traded in one younger woman/older man relationship with little romantic chemistry for another - but his usual Beauty & The Beast spin. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Only way I see Feige leave the MCU in the foreseeable future is if Disney offers him Star Wars

I could see him leave if any of the major studios hire him to run their film divisions. Think Universal, Paramount, WB, whatever. Basically what he’s doing now (studio mogul) but on a much larger scale. 

Bruce/Nat was one of the worst attempts at romance I've ever seen in a blockbuster. AOTC level bad.

But seriously, people trying to downplay the Russos/McFeely/Markus' hand in IW's success are ridiculous. 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Bruce/Nat was one of the worst attempts at romance I've ever seen in a blockbuster. AOTC level bad.

But seriously, people trying to downplay the Russos/McFeely/Markus' hand in IW's success are ridiculous. 

That's not fair, the acting was still good.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

That's not fair, the acting was still good.

Okay, I'll give you that. But stuff like "I should have joined you in the shower" made me want to die. Considering what's come to light of Whedon since that movie, it seems obvious he doesn't really understand romancing women.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Opposite of the Russo Brothers according to how they interacted with the other Phase 3 directors and even had James Gunn write dialogue for the GOTG in Infinity War. And it shows

Wow, when I was watching Infinity War, I was really surprised by how well the Russos wrote the Guardians but if Gunn really wrote them then that makes so much more sense because it really does show.