CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

You are absolutely right. Films that break the OW record tend to hold better than your average mega-opener. This was the case with the original Avengers, Jurassic World and The Force Awakens. 

Well then you have the one exception (DH2) that had such shitty legs it still leaves room for doubt 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

But BruceNat gave us this...

Which then gave us this.. :rofl:

When I rewatched Thor:Ragnarok I was pleasantly surprised to see Thor was still saying it when they were walking on the busy street of Sakaar.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Not to mention the majority of them in the 90's on RT and all of them above 80%.

It's really no coincidence that Infinity War is opening as big it is. It's the culmination of several well-received films from a cinematic universe that has proven to be overall consistent in quality. It's quite remarkable and extremely impressive. Marvel built-up the trust of moviegoers everywhere, and they're being rewarded for it. 

• Like 7

I’m not surprised at all by these numbers. Hype for the movie has been unreal.

What did shock me were the last minute reports of some posters which indicated the movie had no chance of hitting $240 million+. That just didn’t make sense to me because the last movie to have this level of hype was TFA. This is an Avengers movie (not a Captain America one) that’s bringing in the recently introduced heroes from pretty successful movies to colossal blockbusters (Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther), there was literally no way the movie could open to less than $230 million.

I’ve watched it once but I will probably wait for some weeks to see the next one because there were a lot of irritating people in the theatre (movies with this level of hype tend to bring in a ton of non-cinema frequenting individuals, not that it’s a bad thing but still...). Between, the excessive laughter and howls every time someone did something cool, I didn’t hear some important dialogue details and I was really getting wound up. What eventually drove me over the line was when a young woman in the row behind me placed her foot on the seat next me, I had to stand up, turn around and ask her to put her foot on the floor. She looked at me for a bit and wanted to say something but the look of anger and frustration convinced her to gently put both of her feet on the ground.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Avengers 4 is also in a good spot right now. It'll have Ant-Man and Captain Marvel as the new marquee draws, along with everyone wanting to see the follow-up to Infinity War's ending. I don't think it will beat IW's opening, but it should come close. 

Avengers 4 is going to demolish IW opening numbers, this should be quite obvious with the ending IW has. I can’t even imagine its opening weekend, this will actually have a chance for a very close to 300 million ow.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Um yes but that movie had other... issues against it 

Yee just saying that "OW record breakers tend to have good legs" is not really true. Context - ie, accessibility for non-fans, and why it's breaking the record - matters

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Hoping for crazy Sunday hold, big enough to get it over 250M.

Would be incredible to have The Avengers, one that established Marvel’s BO power, the first movie ever to break 200M OW followed by Infinity War, one that marked 10th year anniversary, first movie to break through 250M barrier.

It would also keep with the tradition of superhero movies breaking each 50M multiple barrier for OW:

Batman '89 was the first to have a >50M OW

Spider-Man for >100M

TDK for >150M

TA for >200M

And now hopefully IW for >250M

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Avengers 4 is going to demolish IW opening numbers, this should be quite obvious with the ending IW has. I can’t even imagine its opening weekend, this will actually have a chance for a very close to 300 million ow.

I'm not so bold as to predict an Avengers movie breaking the record twice a year apart. We'll see how it goes.

So the dilemma now for Disney tomorrow is to either lowball it slightly, lose out on the record breaking headline but avoid awkwardness just in case actuals come in lower or go for the OW record and risk it. 

If you lowball tomorrow but it ends up beating TFA by Monday actuals, it’s not as big of a news story but idk 

Edited by Rebeccas

26 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Is 600 million a done deal if the opening is 250M? The reception to this movie makes me think it shouldn't have legs equal to or lower than AOU, despite the monster opening. 2.5x seems right. 

So far, every 200M+ opener has gone on to make at least 600M. I see no reason for this to break the streak, especially if it's that far over 200M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

From an opening weekend of 250, following the legs of five similar releases, it would hit......

714- Spider Man Homecoming

665- Guardians 2

645- Thor

600- Ultron

569 (nice) - Civil War

The average of these five is about 638, so that's what I'm going to predict! Math, baby!

787- Ant Man

:jeb!: Avatar is toast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Only way I see Feige leave the MCU in the foreseeable future is if Disney offers him Star Wars

You could offer him full creative control and hiring power over Star Wars and I don’t think he’d take more than 5 minutes to turn it down. Man is exactly where he wants to be.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Well then you have the one exception (DH2) that had such shitty legs it still leaves room for doubt 

I totally forgot that DH2 did in fact break the OW record back in 2011. There was also the case of Spiderman 3 from 2007. 

In any case, the last 3 OW record-breakers, that like Infinity War, have been well-received did in fact hold well. Spiderman 3 was quite a low-quality product which is the exact opposite of the sheer awesomeness served by AIW. As for (DH2) the only thing I could say is that Harry Potter is quite esoteric and has supra-enthusiastic fanbase. 

Anyway, I am trying to be positive about the prospects of AIW, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I think is the best MCU installment yet.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

You could offer him full creative control and hiring power over Star Wars and I don’t think he’d take more than 5 minutes to turn it down. Man is exactly where he wants to be.

Heading a major studio might be an offer he'd more than consider but then he already heads the most successful studio and gets to work hands on in film.  But if he was willing to jump Disney could make a similar offer and keep him in that capacity.