Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

2 hours ago, ainsleyb said:

The reviews aren’t that baffling it’s an extremely poorly made film. Generic story, acting is awful and the action is for the most part an uninspired cgi mess. Some really cringe attempts at comedy and there’s one scene that will likely go straight on some ‘what were they thinking’  lists.

it seems because people had dirt level expectations they claim it is not that bad. Maybe it isn't, but that doesn't mean this should be the foundation for a cinematic universe 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Better legs than BvS does not mean GOOD legs. There is a reason that we aren't getting a Suicide Squad 2 in 2019.  You and some others continue to argue against what the actual studio is doing. WB took the best element from Suicide Squad and is sticking it into another film with a completely different director for a reason and it wasn't because Suicide Squad was a well received film. I hate to keep explaining the same thing over and over again but here we are.

It had better legs than CA and CA:CW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Better legs than BvS does not mean GOOD legs. There is a reason that we aren't getting a Suicide Squad 2 in 2019.  You and some others continue to argue against what the actual studio is doing. WB took the best element from Suicide Squad and is sticking it into another film with a completely different director for a reason and it wasn't because Suicide Squad was a well received film. I hate to keep explaining the same thing over and over again but here we are. 

Yes, over and over and over. The reason you have to repeat yourself for two years is because you chose as your one and only example of a "failed universe" one with 8+ movies. It is a strange hill to die on, no matter how many times you bring up Suicide Squad or BvS daily (for no particular reason).

A good comparison for this movie is Netflix’s Bright.

The first time you watch it it’s quite decent. It’s loud, funny, fun, the action is good. 

Then you watch it again and realise you’ve been duped. The flaws are way too apparent. You realise there’s barely a story, the dialogue is off, things don’t make sense. The stuff you could easily ignore the first time now can’t be ignored.

and that’s Venom. It’s a movie that shouldn’t ever be watched twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yes, over and over and over. The reason you have to repeat yourself for two years is because you chose as your one and only example of a "failed universe" one with 8+ movies. It is a strange hill to die on, no matter how many times you bring up Suicide Squad or BvS daily (for no particular reason).

I never said that the universe failed. I'm looking forward to Aquaman and Shazam.  But when your big event film in the universe only makes 650+mil and makes less than all of the other films then yeah, your universe is in trouble.  Anyway, I'm veering a little off topic so I'll bring it back to Venom and say that Sony will only be happy with a shaky cinematic universe for so long. The quality has to be there.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just got back. First 45 minutes were dreadful, like painfully bad, but once the Tom Hardy/Venom plot gets going it becomes pretty entertaining. If the movie was any longer it would have been too much. I don't know if a sequel would do very well because it's a pretty disposable film and audiences will move on pretty quickly. Besides laughter in a few scenes there wasn't much reaction out of the audience even leaving the cinema. 

The theatre I saw it in was pretty full, about even with Thor: Ragnarok, which performed similar to US in Australia, although Thor did play on a school night unlike Venom.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

While I agree about comedies I don't think it's a good thing here: the movie is not meant to be funny :

If people thought it was funny then there's a problem there ^^"

No, the crew and director had dubbed the film a buddy cop comedy horror. Their intention was to be funny and not serious.  

2 minutes ago, RedX said:

No, the crew and director had dubbed the film a buddy cop comedy horror. Their intention was to be funny and not serious.  

It was also intentional to give it the look and feel of the Sam Raimi early 2000 Spiderman.

.....then the critics complained it felt like a CBM from 15 years ago  :apocalypse:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interestingly, it's getting overwhemingly positive reactions here in Indonesia. We do have some questionable taste in movies, but lately it has gotten better and better. Usually movies with reviews this bad have bad WOM too (eg. The Nun), so I expected the same for Venom. But from the comments I heard/read, people actually love it. Only few of them hate it. It's so weird. Maybe I should wait until this weekend for more comments. Or the movie is not that bad at all and it's entertaining enough for the general audience to enjoy. 

Edited by catlover

38 minutes ago, catlover said:

Interestingly, it's getting overwhemingly positive reactions here in Indonesia. We do have some questionable taste in movies, but lately it has gotten better and better. Usually movies with reviews this bad have bad WOM too (eg. The Nun), so I expected the same for Venom. But from the comments I heard/read, people actually love it. Only few of them hate it. It's so weird. Maybe I should wait until this weekend for more comments. Or the movie is not that bad at all and it's entertaining enough for the general audience to enjoy. 

Ireland is crazy about Venom too. Just got the feedback from a friend. 

27 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Too early to tell with WoM but could definitely imagine this film being far more liked by audiences than critics. Gotta wait until those 2nd Weekend drops though.

Not a high bar considering there it's sitting on RT. :lol:

But yes, it looks fun and people respond to that. I'll see it. 

@CoolEric258 :bravo: I hope so though I want OW + legs. :Venom:

Edited by Valonqar

32 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

First Avenger? Didn't it have 2.7x vs the 2.44x multiplier of Suicide Squad.

Yes congrats on Suicide Squad on having better legs than the most frontloaded MCU film.  

It also had better legs than than IM3 and AoU.

So it's pretty much in the middle for a CBM.