Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If the MCU won't allow the former why would the want the later?

Are you asking why the MCU would want to use a popular character in their movies if they do not allow competing studio to use their established characters in theirs ?

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

So I get that Sony can’t use MCU Spider-Man in their movies, but can the MCU use Venom in their movies? Can he crossover?

Not in the previous leaked deal, all the SpiderMan characthers like Venom were own exclusively by Sony. Not 100% sure, but I would imagine they cannot without making an updated deal for it.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are you asking why the MCU would want to use a popular character in their movies if they do not allow competing studio to use their established characters in theirs ?

Not in the previous leaked deal, all the SpiderMan characthers like Venom were own exclusively by Sony. Not 100% sure, but I would imagine they cannot without making an updated deal for it.

No, I'm asking if they don't want the universes co-mingling why would they want the universes co-mingling? 

Do you think the Disney and Feige really want their control and universe linked to and affected or even undermined by Sony's decisions and movies? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

No, I'm asking if they don't want the universes co-mingling why would they want the universes co-mingling? 

Do you think the Disney and Feige really want their control and universe linked to and affected or even undermined by Sony's decisions and movies? 

I do not think they want to ever have anyone present in their movie they do not have 100% control with.

It is still easy to imagine motivation to why they would want to use a Jackman Logan, Reynolds Deadpool or Hardy Venom in their movies even if the reason not to do it are bigger than the reason for doing it.

Edited by Barnack

Guys.......this movie was so fucking fun.

You know I'm the last person to go all casual and say the critics don't get it or any of that shit....but I seriously think they might have missed something. Some reviews mention it has "moments of humor" or "surprising comedy.' But, uh, this shit isn't a quippy Marvel movie. This is a 100 percent, pure, action comedy. I would say this is more of an intentional comedy than any MCU movie including Thor Ragnarok. The whole movie has a goofy, obviously tongue in cheek tone from the first time we meet Eddie. And it has a done of actual jokes and quips that land in scene after scene. Sure, some of it borders on unintentional comedy...but I got the sense that the movie was totally leaning into that. People compare it to an early 2000s superhero movie, but honestly, the tone was more a late 80s/early 90s "action" movie that relied mostly on humor and self-parody, more akin to Lethal Weapon or Kindergarten Cop than anything. Eddie Brock is such a fucking weirdo! There has never, ever been a lead character like this in a big budget superhero movie. Ever. And that serves the movie - because my boy Tom delivers the fucking goods. The perfect combo of genuienly talented, good actor Hardy and goofy accents super weird Hardy. 

This is, unless I'm forgetting something, the best movie with an RT score under 40 in like, ten years. Or at least the most fun. It's certainly not "good" in a traditional sense, but it was a blast. I was never once bored, even when Hardy was off screen and it was like Riz Ahmed delivering hilarious, incredibly obviously parody (IMO) monologues or something.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Guys.......this movie was so fucking fun.

You know I'm the last person to go all casual and say the critics don't get it or any of that shit....but I seriously think they might have missed something. Some reviews mention it has "moments of humor" or "surprising comedy.' But, uh, this shit isn't a quippy Marvel movie. This is a 100 percent, pure, action comedy. I would say this is more of an intentional comedy than any MCU movie including Thor Ragnarok. The whole movie has a goofy, obviously tongue in cheek tone from the first time we meet Eddie. And it has a done of actual jokes and quips that land in scene after scene. Sure, some of it borders on unintentional comedy...but I got the sense that the movie was totally leaning into that. People compare it to an early 2000s superhero movie, but honestly, the tone was more a late 80s/early 90s "action" movie that relied mostly on humor and self-parody, more akin to Lethal Weapon or Kindergarten Cop than anything. Eddie Brock is such a fucking weirdo! There has never, ever been a lead character like this in a big budget superhero movie. Ever. And that serves the movie - because my boy Tom delivers the fucking goods. The perfect combo of genuienly talented, good actor Hardy and goofy accents super weird Hardy.  

This is, unless I'm forgetting something, the best movie with an RT score under 40 in like, ten years. Or at least the most fun. It's certainly not "good" in a traditional sense, but it was a blast. I was never once bored, even when Hardy was off screen and it was like Riz Ahmed delivering hilarious, incredibly obviously parody (IMO) monologues or something.

I'm not convinced that Ruben Fleischer was in on the joke but I don't think it would've been as funny if he was. The internal war between him trying to make a generic superhero movie and Hardy going all in on his shenanigans is what makes it work.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I'm not convinced that Ruben Fleischer was in on the joke but I don't think it would've been as funny if he was. The internal war between him trying to make a generic superhero movie and Hardy going all in on his shenanigans is what makes it work.

I think this is mostly accurate but there's certain scenes like Riz Ahmed's bizarre monologues and the just generally...incredibly goofy sheen that this whole movie has that confuses me. What a weird, weird movie.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Some reviews mention it has "moments of humor" or "surprising comedy.'

Yeah the closest movie was Deadpool and they were going for that deadpool money, I do not get the funny without the movie aiming for it, the sound Hardy make when he look at the mirror make no doubt about what they are going for.

Same for the lobster thank being just all improve without the movie being in it, they put "eatable" prop lobster, even if it was not from the start (could be well true) they adjusted into it before release day.

Edited by Barnack

terrible movie.

RT 32%

Thin plotting - i've seen the film.

Runtime under 2 hours - only 1h 51 min.

gimme a break $75M.

just no competition for movies these days

even hack movies can get large box office.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

This movie was so much fun, I can totally see people wondering about the reviews for this one. Audience had a blast, why else would they be clapping at the end?

I laughed so much at their(Brock and Symbiote) goofy relationship! I doubt very much the comedy throughout the movie wasn't intentional, I'm not sure why some people think otherwise; Hardy sure as hell seemed to have been working 100% under the assumption this was a buddy comedy from the early 90's. Heck, even his mostly vanilla interactions with Michelle Williams became more fun by the end of the movie somehow.

Just a good time at the movies, and with that post-credit scene?? I can't wait for its sequel!

• Like 3

I think the film could have worked had the whole film had 100% fully committed to the whole film being as wacky and weird as Tom Hardy's performance. But yes the juxtaposition between Tom Hardy and the rest of the film being as generic as any recent superhero origin story is where much of the (sometimes unintentional) comedy lies and works. But yeah I do think we could have gotten a legit good film with the same performance.