Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

6 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Sadly, Black Panther would have been right up there if the ratings weren't f'd around with.

Black and or female led films always under perform on IMDB. Anyway, I think that IMDB is a dumb metric and have no idea why anyone pays attention to it.

5 minutes ago, MrWhite said:

Anybody who uses IMDB scores as an indicator means you know you can just ignore them

Does that apply to all audience score guages then? All I'm saying is audience scores across the board like this for a blockbuater haven't been seen sincee TDK

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I agree but the problem is the weight attributed to IMDB and RT scores.

It's a sad truth but loads use those scores as gospel.

I know people who won't watch less than a 8 on imdb.

Like I sad, who cares. Let them do them. If those things work for them, neato.

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Does that apply to all audience score guages then? All I'm saying is audience scores across the board like this for a blockbuater haven't been seen sincee TDK

/Shrug, I don't tend to take much stock in many of em'. I prefer RT over IMDB if necessary, but I think it's all susceptible to tendencies that can end up as noise rather than signals.

• Like 1

What kind of discussions are you having where IMDB scores are coming up frequently anyway, lmao?

Unless you're just spreading "[my fave] is the best everrrrrrr" trash everywhere you can, I can't imagine this coming up often

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

btw, now Rampage is looking at 155 in China. 160 possible too. So >350 from Dom+China. OS-China is minimum 140 excluding France (released on Wed I think), Germany, Japan and Poland. 400 ww is locked while 420 (3.5x the prod budget) is possible.

Will eventually make some money on streaming then I suppose.  

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Like I sad, who cares. Let them do them. If those things work for them, neato.

True, only one objective measure in filmmaking :nudgewink:.

I'll let them do them on an individual level but unfortanately scores can affect box office and thats what we're all about on here. That is the main reason they matter to us.

IMDB is still the largest sample size metric we have for audience film scores. Millions on the big films. That's why I'm not as quick to dismiss it as being completely inaccurate as many around here are. Maybe they're all irrelevant, maybe they aren't. IMDB however is too big of a sample size to dismiss unless you're going to dismiss them all. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IMDB is still the largest sample size metric we have for audience film scores. Millions on the big films. That's why I'm not as quick to dismiss it as being completely inaccurate as many around here are. Maybe they're all irrelevant, maybe they aren't. IMDB however is too big of a sample size to dismiss unless you're going to dismiss them all. 

Black Panther and Wonder Woman were better received than Civil War and yet they have lower IMDB scores.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's a large sample, but considering the sample is biased (and this is true for any open polling/scoring), it's why it's hard to take much stock in it all. It's also not the full determinant of legs. Sometimes, the market conditions, scheduling, season, etc have just as much to do with that. So if it came down to it, I'd rather dismiss it all.

• Like 4

IMDB score are biased and incomplete , it's a movie fan boys website who always dismiss the female led films and romance, just like how oscar dismiss superhero film or sci-fi.

If we can call some film as oscar bait film, we can call many film too, an fan boys bait film....

It's not to say that IMDB is useless, but you have to aware their preference.

In the case of shawshank redemption, people like to criticize oscar due to the reason of shawshank redemption snub. Please note that in 1994, shawshank redemption was not even nominated at Golden Globe and BAFTA, It's oscar and academy only to pick this film up as best picture nominees.....and nearly half of the gross came after oscar nomination. It's oscar, largely noticed the legacy of the film, and sent that effect to the movie fans community....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MrWhite said:

It's a large sample, but considering the sample is biased (and this is true for any open polling/scoring), it's why it's hard to take much stock in it all. It's also not the full determinant of legs. Sometimes, the market conditions, scheduling, season, etc have just as much to do with that. So if it came down to it, I'd rather dismiss it all.

Oh I never meant that it was super useful for legs. Too many other factors as you mentioned.

I think where IMDB mainly falters in credibility of score is the lack of female presence in the voting vs male. Whereas in reality the female audience tends to be more important to if a blockbuster lives or dies than the male one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

IMDB score are biased and incomplete , it's a movie fan boys website who always dismiss the female led films and romance, just like how oscar dismiss superhero film or sci-fi.

If we can call some film as oscar bait film, we can call many film too, an fan boys bait film....

It's not to say that IMDB is useless, but you have to aware their preference.

In the case of shawshank redemption, people like to criticize oscar due to the reason of shawshank redemption snub. Please note that in 1994, shawshank redemption was not even nominated at Golden Globe and BAFTA, It's oscar and academy only to pick this film up as best picture nominees.....and nearly half of the gross came after oscar nomination. It's oscar, largely noticed the legacy of the film, and sent that effect to the movie fans community....

You make a great point about fanboy bait. Fanboys like to trash small dramas but ignore their own biases towards a certain genre.

However, if you glance over the IMDB top 250, most movies that have been widely regarded by film critics and audiences for decades as some of the all time greats are in there somewhere. It’s not like it’s made up of a bunch of random stuff that you’d only find there in a best films discussion. Yeah, there’s some of that, but it’s not the majority.  That tells me the scores probably aren’t as warped from the reality of public opinion as some might think.

I personally haven’t voted on IMDB in years and years myself.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You make a great point about fanboy bait. Fanboys like to trash small dramas but ignore their own biases towards a certain genre.

fanboys bait film features

1) Complex plot/Smart Plot/Unpredictable Plot

2) Established Star/ Director Power(Nolan, Tarantino, Scorsese, Tom hanks, Daniel day-lewis, Harrison, Nicholson)

3) Specific genre(Sci-fi/Black comedy/War Epic/Crime), ultra-male centric(braveheart/Gladiator) ,brotherhood

I do agree many above are actually the characteristic of great films, but they are not the sole metric, art and storytelling is a very dynamics medium and they exhibit in different form. Try to to standardize the parameter like a swimming match or any others sport game

• Like 7