Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Was Black Panther a big 24 hour presale seller even? I don't recall hearing anything about it lol

Really giant, but was far behind the Star Wars, didn't stop the same PR/trade being ads for studios fake news:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-sets-pre-sales-record-first-24-hours-1073563

The movie had no record in any ways, but at least had:

Ticket site Fandango is reporting that it is the best-selling Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in terms of presales after its first 24 hours.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Nova said:

It was at the time the highest pre sellar in Marvel history beating out CW. But as IW just showed us you can't really compare Marvel to Star Wars in terms of pre-sales because Marvel is no where near the pre sellar that Star Wars is. So I'm not sure why the comparison for Solo was BP or IW. It would have been better to compare it to Rogue One. 

Right, they should really just give us a ranking for all pre-sellers in these articles as opposed to "double this unrelated movie!".

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Right, they should really just give us a ranking for all pre-sellers in these articles as opposed to "double this unrelated movie!".

They do it with every movie lol I mean a few weeks ago they were comparing Deadpool 2 with one of the Fifty Shades movies 😂 But of course if they're honest, they can't create click bait articles for the blockbusters. As I said in the tracking thread we will know more for sure within the couple days as to how it's selling compared to other SWs titles (like Rogue One) and such but I don't think comparing it to any of the Marvel releases (including DP2) is a good comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I would imagine they have no official idea and are just taking those service words for it, they could even be the one writing them at this point with the distributor finding the wording and example that make it look the most positives they possibly can.

It is a pure publicity that the trade accept to publish because they gave them some little hint and they like the traffics, imo of course, but there is not journalistic anything involved in those (or even work done).

Edited by Barnack

I think some of yall have drunk the koolaid... but I thought that last weekend and was wrong...

ANYTHING over 100m is good. Anything over 115m is great if it does go over 120m its fantastic. TFA wouldn't have gotten close to 150m if Christmas had been on Thursday or Saturday that week. Its a record with a huge *.

Also the film has already made $338m I mean its not going to hold the same way that non-specific cultural events (such as BP or WW) do AND it has 39m in previews to be backed out of whatever numbers are being presented. Like seriously get a grip.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What a click bait title and url ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Advance Ticket Sales Already Breaking Records, try to find the records in question in the article.

Both Fandango and Atom tickets are reporting that Solo’s ticket sales are already second only to IW for 2018 in its first 24hrs. That’s all. 

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202383121/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine they have no official idea and are just taking those service words for it, they could even be the one writing them at this point with the distributor finding the wording and example that make it look the most positives they possibly can.

It is a pure publicity that the trade accept to publish because they gave them some little hint and they like the traffics, imo of course, but there is not journalistic anything involved in those (or even work done).

Speaking of that, I find it hilarious how some of this articles include "already breaking records" for records that are based on a defined period of time. Of course the record for sales on the first 24h is going to be beaten in the first 24h!

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

TOG's infinity war against Infinity War just got a hell of a lot stronger.

I literally have nothing against the film and it’s in my top 5 of the year, pretty funny that people think I do tho

• Like 2

Question for the TV watchers among us, specifically the Brits I guess: Is this show Broadchurch good? Looking for a good mystery and heard good things, plus it's on Netflix. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Question for the TV watchers among us, specifically the Brits I guess: Is this show Broadchurch good? Looking for a good mystery and heard good things, plus it's on Netflix. 

My parents like it.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

first season is fantastic. i thought it went downhill afterwards but the first season works as it's own standalone thing anyway. olivia colman da god.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I literally have nothing against the film and it’s in my top 5 of the year, pretty funny that people think I do tho

I’d step up to wage a war against the film but it’s just not that interesting or worthy of the effort.

19 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Both Fandango and Atom tickets are reporting that Solo’s ticket sales are already second only to IW for 2018 in its first 24hrs. That’s all. 

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202383121/

Not sure what you meant tried to had, that is exactly what I said, not record in any shape of form, not even best of the last 3 months, yet you see sales records in both the URL and article title, what records could they possibly be talking about ?

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Reading the totally predictable meltdowns on Friday over the numbers

tumblr_odsz8utFvf1sybyd5o1_500.gif

You'd think people would learn about Marvel fridays by now. 

Anyways, Solo tracking/pre-sales are good but does anyone know or can guestimate a break even point for this movie? Did it cost more than Rogue One (more extensive reshoots but seems like a smaller story to me that requires less extensive CG)?

• Like 2