kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

7 hours ago, Agafin said:

It would be quite funny if EG ends up higher than Avatar's first run ($2749m) but below the current number ($2787m) which includes the re-release. I wasn't tracking BO back in 2010 but those who did probably considered that re-release pretty pointless as it only added $30ish million to its gross. Who would have that it would end up helping Avatar keep its crown a decade later? 

The same thing happened domestically in 2012 when The Avengers surpassed Titanic's original gross ($600m) becoming the first non-Cameron movie to do so, but ultimately failed to top Titanic thanks to the 3D release. 

IIRC the re-release (really more of an expansion with additional footage than a re-release) was to push Avatar past $2.75B worldwide with eyes set to $2.8B. Who could've seen it possibly protecting the WW crown 10 years later? Cameron has the devil's luck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine you mean increase by 50% and even then, there is a 77% inflation since 1993.

$914 million + .5*914 = 1371

Double the inflation (I imagine you do not mean annual rate but the total) to 144%

1371+1.44*1371 = 3345 millions

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark.htm

1030m is what I show. Inflation was 75%. Double is 150%.

How the hell original SW run is more impressive than Titanic? Not to downplay Original SW but that movie did 530m, overtaking Jaw's 410m by 30%, not like Titanic doubled the Jurassic Park record, i.e from 914m to 1.84b.

And SW stayed on top for 4-5 years, before surpassed by ET, and Titanic stayed on top for 12 years, as twice as longer than SW.

Those two metrics alone give Titanic an upper hand to be a more impressive run.    

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If you are using all the release, you are probably better off using different inflation for each but that would only increase even more it's total.

Huh? I used CPI inflation not ticket price which is silly because exchange rates aren't static.

CPI is 75%. If you double it, it's still less than where EG finishes.

I'm referring to WW. I don't care about domestic.

Edited by cdsacken

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How the hell original SW run is more impressive than Titanic? Not to downplay Original SW but that movie did 530m, overtaking Jaw's 410m by 30%, not like Titanic doubled the Jurassic Park record, i.e from 914m to 1.84b.

And SW stayed on top for 4-5 years, before surpassed by ET, and Titanic stayed on top for 12 years, as twice as longer than SW.

EP4's original run is certainly nowhere near as impressive as Titanic, it's not even a true global run anyway, it's more of a "western developed world" run. The fact that Star Wars became what it was, that's another story not entirely relevant to box office.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Huh? I used CPI inflation not ticket price which is silly because exchange rates aren't static.

CPI is 75%. If you double it, it's still less than where EG finishes.

I'm referring to WW. I don't care about domestic.

Ahhh:

Which means nothing since if you increase the box office total by 150%, double the rate of inflation and it still loses to EG. 

Ok I thought you meant if you increase the box office total by 150% than double the rate of inflation it is still behind.

Forget all of this.

• Like 1

Oh no definitely not. Sorry for my confusion!

I'm trying to stick to nominal figures because no matter what EG ends at it's not #1 adjusted. Still awesome but that would be really tough for anything. Tickets are so pricey some just flat out refuse to go now a days.

8 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Oh trust me, I have seen plenty of 3.2B+ is the new target, Avatar is not even a question,  3.5B possible if it gets a Christmas release (good luck with China then). You're not the only one, and yours is not even among the most "out there" predictions.

People didn't learn from Infinity War.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

People didn't learn from Infinity War.

Let's be fair to them. I for most of my expectations made stance that, EG increase on IW will come from weekend only. When that 357 happened, I was still thinking of 800-850 full run, but the Monday was absolutely crazy. That's when I lost my mind and started expecting 975mn+, though not for long, just a week after, I was at 900 and another week bring me down to 870s.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Let's be fair to them. I for most of my expectations made stance that, EG increase on IW will come from weekend only. When that 357 happened, I was still thinking of 800-850 full run, but the Monday was absolutely crazy. That's when I lost my mind and started expecting 975mn+, though not for long, just a week after, I was at 900 and another week bring me down to 870s.

The new projection for EG you posted already included hard drop for EG in the 2 following weeks or not? So that I can I can some reality in it.

Moderation

Can we please keep the discussion civil and courteous?  Please do not insult others, make antagonistic posts or confuse opinion with fact.  At this point in time the current gross of Endgame is a fact whereas any possible final gross is an opinion.

Regards

BOT Staff

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

It still did more than IW OS-C. I don’t see how it’s time to throw the towel with barely a month of the film’s release. I remember last year how people didn’t think that IW would cross $2B, and yet here we are.

I always believed that IW will cross 2 billion and posted it during its entire run, despite not being satisfied with its U.S run. I don’t believe that there’s any chance for EG to pass Avatar and at this point I don’t even care TBH.

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

To be honest it's incredibly hypocritical and frankly laughable from the 4B, 1.2B china folks. Then again those same folks predicted 1B for Alita which did 400m.

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

First of all, Star Wars was at $513M before the Special Edition in 1997 ($322,740,142 + $190,300,000 = $513,040,142), so it surpass Jaws not that much, and it did thanks to re-releases. The second of all, SW has never was #1 overseas! And the most of all, Star Wars were the highest grossing film at least 4 years and 7 months (don't know exactly, cause I can't find when E.T. become the most highest grossing film, in 1983 for sure, but it could be January as well as December), max. 5 years and 6 months.

Titanic's run is far more impressive than Star Wars, even domestically Titanic has much bigger original run in ticket sold. The only films You can compare to Titanic is Gone with the Wind and E.T..

• Like 2

Infinity War added $56.9M overseas (minus China) after its fifth weekend. If Endgame survive much stronger competition (Godzilla, X-Men, Pets, Toy Story, etc.) and also add $57 million from now on, it will finish with over $1.307B + $629.1M China (according to Deadline) = $1.936B OS. Avengers needs than at least $852M domestically to beat Avatar. So it still has a chance.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Juby said:

Infinity War added $56.9M overseas (minus China) after its fifth weekend. If Endgame survive much stronger competition (Godzilla, X-Men, Pets, Toy Story, etc.) and also add $57 million from now on, it will finish with over $1.307B + $629.1M China (according to Deadline) = $1.936B OS. Avengers needs than at least $852M domestically to beat Avatar. So it still has a chance.

Considering much more competitions in some next weeks, hope it can earn 50% of that IW's which is $28M. DOM ~$845M (?) + $628.5M + $1.255B +$28M = $2.757M. Between Avatar's Initial release and Second release. 

• Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In fact, that's exactly what happened with IW: the huge Monday number came and for a few days people were shooting silly predictions for its 2nd weekend hold and total gross. Then Friday came and people woke up.