SLAM!

Serenity (2018) | Aviron Pictures | 10/19/18 | starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jason Clarke, Djimon Hounsou, and Diane Lane | dir. Steven Knight (Locke)

21 hours ago, TombRaider said:

2/5 of those flopped and nobody remembers them

ps: Serenity 5-6M (39m budget)

mmm. not really. The two I assume youre referring to, the paperboy and killer joe, didn't get much of a cinema run. given they only played in 75 theaters according to BOM, they did fine. they were not flops.

the point is that he has been acting in highly acclaimed films.

Edited by Avatree

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

When I think of the McConaissance, True Detective is the top of the list. It feels like a long time ago now. But for the few months during and straight after that show he was the coolest guy on the planet.

Image result for rust cohle gif kill yourself

He had the world by the balls around that time. True Detective ran from January 2014 to March 2014. Won the Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club in March 2014 and then had a big global hit later that year with Interstellar. 

I saw this tonight with a friend for Discount Tuesday just to see if it really is absurd as the spoilers made it sound. It definitely is but unfortunately the film isn't much fun to mock despite how ridiculous it becomes (no joke: someone in my theater loudly said "WHAT?!" when it was revealed). It was the second movie in the past few months (the other being Fantastic Beasts 2) where I just stumbled out of the theater wondering what the fuck it was I just watched. For the most part it's just boring for the first hour and only slightly enlivened by the insane plot twist in the last 45, with the only entertainment value coming from wondering what the hell the filmmakers were smoking when this plot hole filled script was written and what could've drawn so many esteemed actors who most certainly don't need the money on board for it. I'm at a loss as to why this was made other than so that McConaughey could claim Fool's Gold is no longer the nadir of his career. I'd say the Razzies await, but luckily for everyone involved nobody will remember this flop ever existed in the first place by the middle of the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw this tonight with a friend for Discount Tuesday just to see if it really is absurd as the spoilers made it sound. It definitely is but unfortunately the film isn't much fun to mock despite how ridiculous it becomes (no joke: someone in my theater loudly said "WHAT?!" when it was revealed). It was the second movie in the past few months (the other being Fantastic Beasts 2) where I just stumbled out of the theater wondering what the fuck it was I just watched. For the most part it's just boring for the first hour and only slightly enlivened by the insane plot twist in the last 45, with the only entertainment value coming from wondering what the hell the filmmakers were smoking when this plot hole filled script was written and what could've drawn so many esteemed actors who most certainly don't need the money on board for it. I'm at a loss as to why this was made other than so that McConaughey could claim Fool's Gold is no longer the nadir of his career. I'd say the Razzies await, but luckily for everyone involved nobody will remember this flop ever existed in the first place by the middle of the year.

God, I can't wait to see this. Your story about someone in your theatre going "WHAT?!" is priceless!

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

God, I can't wait to see this. Your story about someone in your theatre going "WHAT?!" is priceless!

WHY? I was going to see this - and when I found out here how broken it was, I most certainly didn't want to see it anymore.

What's with the self-destructive behaviour of most people? Curiosity killed the cat?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

WHY? I was going to see this - and when I found out here how broken it was, I most certainly didn't want to see it anymore.

What's with the self-destructive behaviour of most people? Curiosity killed the cat?

Because I'd rather judge for myself than let reviews or others decide for me.

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's really not much fun to ridicule tbh. Mostly because the whole thing is so dull. Even the actors appear to be sleepwalking.

The best part of the whole movie was hearing a bunch of local cities get name-dropped randomly and the people in the theater chuckling.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's really not much fun to ridicule tbh. Mostly because the whole thing is so dull. Even the actors appear to be sleepwalking.

The best part of the whole movie was hearing a bunch of local cities get name-dropped randomly and the people in the theater chuckling.

In all seriousness, the trailer made it look intriguing. I'm a sucker for those dramatic, domestic mystery sort of movies. I was sold on going to it before reading about how awful it is. Now, out of morbid curiosity, I really want to see what happens.

Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway & Steven Knight Are Furious With Aviron Over ‘Serenity’ Bailout

Drama. So evidently the studio had agreed to spend a certain amount on advertising, which they didn't (and weren't exactly upfront about it until the very end), likely figuring it wasn't worth it on a dud.  You'd think they'd be happy fewer people were tricked into seeing a movie they likely wouldn't enjoy, harming the actors' reputation more in the long run, but I guess not.

Edited by KC7

The oddest part about this movie:

Spoiler

So it's one thing that McConaughey and Hathaway's kid created this virtual world made up of fishing village clichés where the avatar of his dead father gets to kill the avatar of his abusive stepfather, but why does he have his father having sex for money with Diane Lane (why she agreed to such a useless role is a total mystery) several times? And on top of that having his dad appear naked a lot. Why? Just to show off that McConaughey still has a body of a much younger man at almost 50? It's the strangest thing.

Also, he has the video game avatar of his mother say "daddy" to the avatar of her abusive husband a ton. Is his mother a hooker in the real world? lmao.

1 hour ago, KC7 said:

Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway & Steven Knight Are Furious With Aviron Over ‘Serenity’ Bailout

Drama. So evidently the studio had agreed to spend a certain amount on advertising, which they didn't (and weren't exactly upfront about it until the very end), likely figuring it wasn't worth it on a dud.  You'd think they'd be happy fewer people were tricked into seeing a movie they likely wouldn't enjoy, harming the actors' reputation more in the long run, but I guess not.

the failure to push Serenity during a vacant weekend likely upset some of the traditional movie followers.  Serenity was 1 of 2 movies opening, and couldn't make the top 7 when it probably seemed like it was expected to on paper.  Maybe small business intangible negligence prevented this movie from achieving a higher slot for its career.

#3 - Aquaman - 7.3

#4 - Kid/King - 7.2

#5 - Spider-Man - 6.1

#6 - Green Book - 5.5

#7 - Dog's Way Home - 5.1 - weekend 3

#8 - Serenity - 4.4

#9 - Escape Room - 4.1 - weekend 4

2 hours ago, KC7 said:

I mean, this is clearly on the fault of the studio here.

15 hours ago, KC7 said:

This article is funny and sad at the same time.

"Sources said they believe maybe only nine spots aired in obscure locales and not in any time slots that would have helped create awareness for the film."

"As it got closer to crunch time, they suddenly weren’t getting their calls returned by chairman William Sadleir. They finally received the bad news from president David Dinerstein, that no money would be forthcoming and the publicity blitz would have to be enough."

"speculation is the distributor was hurting after dropping P&A on A Private War, and figuring to use that cash flow from ticket sales to roll out Serenity. A Private War didn’t catch on with audiences after it didn’t get hoped-for award nominations, particularly for Rosamund Pike’s performance as conflict journalist Marie Colvin."

"McConaughey in particular is breathing fire over feeling like he was duped. The star asked Aviron to roll the film out slowly but was rebuffed, and sources said he was told that would interfere with an ancillary deal."

-

The studio's response:

“As much as we love this film and still hope it finds its audience, we tested and retested the film — with audiences and critics alike — and sadly, the data demonstrated that the film was not going to be able to perform at our initial expectations, so we adjusted our budget and marketing tactics accordingly. Regardless of the spend, it’s next to impossible for an adult-skewing drama to overcome a 23% score on Rotten Tomatoes and a D+ CinemaScore. To have spent more would have been irresponsible to our capital partners and wouldn’t have made prudent business sense for an independent distributor.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The studio's response:

“As much as we love this film and still hope it finds its audience, we tested and retested the film — with audiences and critics alike — and sadly, the data demonstrated that the film was not going to be able to perform at our initial expectations, so we adjusted our budget and marketing tactics accordingly. Regardless of the spend, it’s next to impossible for an adult-skewing drama to overcome a 23% score on Rotten Tomatoes and a D+ CinemaScore. To have spent more would have been irresponsible to our capital partners and wouldn’t have made prudent business sense for an independent distributor.”

These guys might have a future after all.

• Like 1

BIGGEST THEATER DROPS
Wide Releases That Lost the Most Theaters in Their Third Weekends

Most of the time, theaters are obligated to show a movie for two weeks. What they do when that time's up speaks to a picture's traction in the marketplace.
1982-Present

Note: This chart only shows the 200 largest drops regardless of sorting.

Rank Title (click to view) Theaters
Week 2
Theater Change Theaters
Week 3
% BO Change Total Gross^ Release Date*
1 The Darkest Minds 3,127 -2,679 448 -88.1% $12,695,691 8/03/18
2 Live By Night 2,822 -2,659 163 -94.1% $10,378,555 1/13/17
3 A Cure for Wellness 2,704 -2,616 88 -97.8% $8,106,986 2/17/17
4 Meet Dave 3,011 -2,523 488 -77.0% $11,803,254 7/11/08
5 Hardcore Henry 3,015 -2,496 519 -80.5% $9,252,038 4/08/16
6 Jonah Hex 2,825 -2,475 350 -92.4% $10,547,117 6/18/10
7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2,931 -2,455 476 -88.0% $10,938,134 2/05/16