ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Each person has to decide what the reviews mean for them and what they will get (or not get) out of the film, but reading things like this genuinely keeps me interested in wanting to check it out:

The attention to character, group dynamics and emotional texture makes the film often feel more alive in its quieter moments than its fairly routine CG action clashes. But the depth of feeling helps counter the choppy storytelling in this new tangent in the MCU narrative.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/eternals-marvel-1235035471/

With "Eternals," Marvel turns a risky gamble into another piece of the puzzle. Its cosmic ambitions, its prevailing humanism amid a nihilistic outlook, and its gestures at maturity — the (real!) sex scene, the depth and warmth that they give to Henry's LGBTQ relationship — are not enough to make "Eternals" more than just another film to fit neatly in the Marvel Studios mold. But even so, Zhao brings an elegance to the film and the cast bring a vulnerability and care to their characters that leave a lingering impression, even as the last super-punch fades.

https://www.slashfilm.com/641297/eternals-review-a-wildly-ambitious-but-tonally-uneven-cosmic-epic/?utm_campaign=clip

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Eternals was always going to be different than usual Marvel. It was obvious. Not surprised by mixed reactions. Critics have become accustomed to Marvel Formula.

I dunno, this reminds me of the worst days of the DCEU when fans would argue some of their stuff didn’t get better reviews because critics were conditioned by MCU movies. It just feels like an excuse. 

What if they simply just didn’t like it or it doesn’t work or it’s a mess/interesting failure/whatever phrase one prefers? That happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Movie nerd said:

After eading many of reviews, wow so it really is the worst film put out by Marvel Studios since The Incredible Hulk, first stinker in years, too bad but I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Everybody sometiems misses, even the great Kevin Feige. 

This film probably had the least Feige input, I can bet on that. Chloe will deliver just wait.

Eh, I don't buy the "it's so unique" excuse on bad reviews. That said, my take from this reviews is that I will probably enjoy the movie. I almost always find that exposition complaints are exaggerated by critics. As far as where it lands overall, seems like it will be one of the weaker MCU entries in reviews, but going rotten seems doubtful. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

metacritic sample is way too small imo there usually a movie get 30-35 reviews only.

More like around 50. But I prefer it to RT which has way too many reviewers which have diluted it's quality, there are so many inflated scores esp TV shows . I do agree MC needs to increase it's sample size to 100 

• Like 2