antovolk

Destination Wedding | Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder | Could They Bring Back The Romcom? | August 24

14 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

YES!!!! Bring back the ROM COM!!!!!

Im a 25 year old man and I own How to Loose a Guy in 10 days on Blu ray. Bring it. 

I'm a 28 year old man with What Women want, crazy stupid love, friends with benefits and best of all She's all that in my 'why did she leave me' DVD category

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I'm a 28 year old man with What Women want, crazy stupid love, friends with benefits and best of all She's all that in my 'why did she leave me' DVD category

I'm 46 and I have When Harry Met Sally, Crazy Stupid Love, 27 Dresses, She's All That and She's The One in my DVD collection.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not caring about the drunk part :P  but the trailer was kind of funny and charming.  Not sure I will see it in the theaters, but it does have my attention now :) 

• Like 2

Nice to see Winona Ryder might make a comeback.

But the Romcoms have not gone anywhere. It has been a while since one has been a huge hit, but a number have been profitable.

One advantage they have:in an age of massive budgets, they are Cheap to Produce.

9 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm 46 and I have When Harry Met Sally, Crazy Stupid Love, 27 Dresses, She's All That and She's The One in my DVD collection.  :) 

Try the classics in the genre: "THe Philidelphia Story",any of the Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy films...

• Like 1

I mean, it's not like romantic comedies were ever really proven to have died off entirely. I mean, just less than ten years ago, 500 Days of Summer and Crazy Stupid Love were doing just fine. I think they simply stopped making them after a few flops, causing a premature, artificial, undeserved death of a genre. I'm personally holding out hope that this revitalizes the genre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I mean, it's not like romantic comedies were ever really proven to have died off entirely. I mean, just less than ten years ago, 500 Days of Summer and Crazy Stupid Love were doing just fine. I think they simply stopped making them after a few flops, causing a premature, artificial, undeserved death of a genre. I'm personally holding out hope that this revitalizes the genre.

500 Days and CSL are ok, but people are definitely missing the huge, slick, big-studio rom coms that grossed over 100 million (or close to it) and usually ushered in a brand new female star[let]. Where are the modern-day Pretty Womans and When Harry Met Sallys and Sweet Home Alabamas and such? Who was the last female star who sorta became synonymous with romcoms? Jennifer Lopez/Reese Witherspoon in the mid 2000s?  What was the last romantic comedy (not musical so no Mamma Mia! and LalaLand, just the typical or "classic" romcom) to make more than 100 million in the US?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, baumer said:

So much cynicism here.  If they had capes and super powers, would you be more interested?

With the way Marvel Studio often frames their CBMs within a structure that mirrors classic movie genres, I am surprised they still have not done a romantic comedy with superpowers (although Ant-Man & the Wasp might be just that)..Or maybe someday they will do the first full-fledged burst-out-in-song superhero musical (Dazzler?)...