CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

58 minutes ago, Nova said:

Imagine if every movie can make $363M domestic because of its marketing campaign 

:sparta:

:sparta:And movies don't make 360+ even after 130+ ows at times.

26 Suicide Squad WB $133,682,248 41.1% 4,255 $31,418 $325,100,054 8/5/2016
27 Deadpool Fox $132,434,639 36.5% 3,558 $37,222 $363,070,709 2/12/2016
Edited by A2k Raptor

12 minutes ago, StevenG said:

LOL

Other films that, along DP, only made solid bank "because of its [fantastic] marketing campaign":

Black Panther

The Force Awakens

Wonder Woman

It

Infinity War

Thor: Ragnarok

Titanic

See, none of those film/properties/characters have/had any intrinsic appeal beyond their fantastic marketing.

In fact, their solid multipliers and all-around solid word of mouth was thanks to their marketing.

"OMG, I am watching _________ on its fourth/fifth/sixth weekend because I just discovered its trailer and ads; they were phenomenal and I gotta watch this!! Don't miss this film: it has fantastic ads"

:hahaha:

Lol at the comparisons to huge brands and/or cultural events. Deadpool was unknown to the GA.  Do you really think it opened with 130 million because of any other reason than the marketing campaign?    :hahaha:

Edited by GraceRandolph

Kevin fiege makes movies to build a fanbase and reward them for being on board for 10 years.

Kathleen Kennedy is making sw films to appeal to new fans  (social issues...focus on new stuff) but the math so far seems she is pushing away more fans away then gaining.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Kevin fiege makes movies to build a fanbase and reward them for being on board for 10 years.

Kathleen Kennedy is making sw films to appeal to new fans  (social issues...focus on new stuff) but the math so far seems she is pushing away more fans away then gaining.

You'd think if they wanted to appeal to new fans, they would have done more with Finn and Poe.  I loved them in TFA but their arcs in TLJ were very unsatisfying.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It’s less pushing back* fans and simply she’s not making new ones, especially in the ascendant foreign markets.

*=trust me if the prequels couldn’t kill off SW fandom, nothing will 

I wish to wipe out half the world population in order to stop any movies from grossing pass titanic. 

@IronJimbo are you in? 

"Hear me, and rejoice. You are about to die at the hand of James Cameron. Be thankful, that your meaningless lives are now contributed to the stability of the box office chart..."

Or at least can we wipe out half the money circulated in the world to purge inflation? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Lol at the comparisons to huge brands and/or cultural events. Deadpool was unknown to the GA.  Do you really think it opened with 130 million because of any other reason than the marketing campaign?    :hahaha:

Of course. :D

And how "awesome" that you simply ignore that all of those films' openings had a lot to do with fantastic marketing (the cultural event part happened after their opening, not before). You also ignore that Deadpool became a cultural event in and of itself.

But by all means, keep trolling, ma'm, in order to prove some point.../

6 minutes ago, RRA said:

It’s less pushing back* fans and simply she’s not making new ones, especially in the ascendant foreign markets.

*=trust me if the prequels couldn’t kill off SW fandom, nothing will 

The prequels won over a lot of news fans especially kids though....especially through revenge of the sith.

Movie was very popular and was seen as a huge upgrade from the other two and while deeply flawed had a ton of fan service and fun action scenes and is likely of the most memed movies ever.

If episode 9 can do what ROts did at the least..star wars will be fine.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Solo isn't going to hurt IW much. It's a fellow Disney title, and IW has already lost large formats.

Does it not make it worst competition wise for family audience ? Not sure how it help that much that it is a fellow Disney title.

32 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Of course. :D

And how "awesome" that you simply ignore that all of those films' openings had a lot to do with fantastic marketing (the cultural event part happened after their opening, not before). You also ignore that Deadpool became a cultural event in and of itself.

But by all means, keep trolling, ma'm, in order to prove some point.../

LOL those comparisons still aren’t valid. Dont make me write a long list as to why. Also to claim that Deadpool was a cultural  event is insulting to movies that actually are.  365 million is not an event LOL. This thinking is the reason why some of you are so disappointed with DP2 OW. You expected more because you elevated it to a level it never reached. In reality you shouldn’t be sad because both movies are still not box office failures.  I’m personally very happy with how this weekend turned out. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lordmandeep Is it a bit early to start your campaign toward a weekend ban?

I mean, you’re doing great. But don’t get banned till we get a Friday number at least. Pace yourself, man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sam said:

@Lordmandeep Is it a bit early to start your campaign toward a weekend ban?

I mean, you’re doing great. But don’t get banned till we get a Friday number at least. Pace yourself, man.

I am pacing myself...lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Does it not make it worst competition wise for family audience ? Not sure how it help that much that it is a fellow Disney title.

Being from the same studio usually allows for a softer drop for the holdover on the new film's opening weekend due to double features. Black Panther dropped only 4% when Infinity War opened despite that being direct competition.

• Like 1