Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If only Johnson had been fired and they got Ron Howard and or Tony Gilroy to take over. Would have turned out the best for the series 

Should've gone all-in and gotten Joe Johnston

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

7:00 2D: 93/124

7:00 3D: 60/113

7:30 2D: 38/67

7:30 3D: 23/78

Total: 214/384

The 3D show only gained one goddamn ticket from this afternoon :hahaha: There is a prime row without any seats sold! The walkups for this are TURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE

Was DP2 full at your theater?

1 minute ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

I've said it before but we really need to start taking trailer views in consideration (yeah yeah I know WW and BP) but seriously Solo has been damn soft on YT. Last trailer has 13m views and 201k likes. Ant man 2 haas 19m views and 446k likes. Deadpool 2's final trailer has 28m views and 456k likes. 

IMO the likes are the bigger indicator than just plain views though

Agreed.  And The number of likes for Ant Man 2 increased for the second trailer. People say it's the IW effect. Expect Ant Man to do better than Solo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If only Johnson had been fired and they got Ron Howard and or Tony Gilroy to take over. Would have turned out the best for the series 

Yeah! Could've gotten a poorly reviewed rehash of Empire!

2 hours ago, Nova said:

What happens if previews are really high :stirthepot:

Previews are going to be high because the fanbase will be out in force (no pun intended); but the real question is going to be what Friday and Saturday's take is going to be. I suspect a heavy amount of front loading.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Previews are going to be high because the fanbase will be out in force (no pun intended); but the real question is going to be what Friday and Saturday's take is going to be. I suspect a heavy amount of front loading.

If previews are anything to go by at my theater, the fanbase is chilling at home watching Empire Strikes Back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Anyone who's not satisfied by how Solo is not performing low enough, is welcomed to pay a visit to the China thread. Boy that's a mega drop from TLJ, and TLJ was already a major flop.

1527175679013.jpg

> $10M? So it could be $100M or maybe $300M. 

What chance that solo ww < ro dom (532)?

if os-china shows a 48% drop from ro's 454.5, then it gives 236.

16 from china gives 236+16=252 os

then 280 dom gives 280+252=532 ww

Edited by A2k Raptor

I have never said this, but I actually do wonder if there is a point where the loudest squeaky wheels on both sides make Star Wars not enjoyable for the general public.  

Right now you have a somewhat unknown but ever growing battle for Star Wars.  The right wing side of it is a bunch of Alt-Right types that decry Disney/Lucasfilm for having a diverse cast and accuse it of pandering to SJW activists and are on a mission to destroy whatever public audience feedback mechanism they can use.  

The other side is the Film Twitter and social activist types.  The people who are basically and sometimes literally screaming "Fuck you" at Kennedy and Disney/Lucasfilm every time they announce a new director that isn't a person of color or a female.  The same people that are furious that they won't put multiple gay or gender queer characters into the story and announce it from the roof tops. 

Nothing that Disney/Lucasfilm is ever going to be enough for either side and it wears on the whole process.  Good changes have been made like gender flipping characters and being more inclusive, but even after all of that we are left with stories this week about Lando's sexuality that neither side is happy with.  The irony is both sides nearly equally hate it and accuse the writers and Disney/Lucasfilm of pandering and being cowards.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Star Wars being a non entity in Asia is a big problem and I see no remedy or cure, it is what it is.

Chinese auds like robots and Boba Fett is basically a robot, right? :sparta:

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I have never said this, but I actually do wonder if there is a point where the loudest squeaky wheels on both sides make Star Wars not enjoyable for the general public.  

Right now you have a somewhat unknown but ever growing battle for Star Wars.  The right wing side of it is a bunch of Alt-Right types that decry Disney/Lucasfilm for having a diverse cast and accuse it of pandering to SJW activists and are on a mission to destroy whatever public audience feedback mechanism they can use.  

The other side is the Film Twitter and social activist types.  The people who are basically and sometimes literally screaming "Fuck you" at Kennedy and Disney/Lucasfilm every time they announce a new director that isn't a person of color or a female.  The same people that are furious that they won't put multiple gay or gender queer characters into the story and announce it from the roof tops. 

Nothing that Disney/Lucasfilm is ever going to be enough for either side and it wears on the whole process.  Good changes have been made like gender flipping characters and being more inclusive, but even after all of that we are left with stories this week about Lando's sexuality that neither side is happy with.  The irony is both sides nearly equally hate it and accuse the writers and Disney/Lucasfilm of pandering and being cowards.  

From a different angle, I've seen right here in this thread there are two factions- one wants it to move past nostalgia, the other insists it needs more jedi and light sabers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

If previews are anything to go by at my theater, the fanbase is chilling at home watching Empire Strikes Back. 

I am going to make one more overly positive prediction looking at anecdotal numbers and how they go this weekend that I will happily own when it is wrong.  

The preview number is going to look weak.  People will freak out.  

Looking at things for Friday and especially Saturday, they actually look pretty encouraging with everything factored in.  The word of mouth will be good, the Memorial Day crowd is more casual walk up types and the numbers will end up looking improved in comparison to the Thursday preview number.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Anyone who's not satisfied by how Solo is not performing low enough, is welcomed to pay a visit to the China thread. Boy that's a mega drop from TLJ, and TLJ was already a major flop.

1527175679013.jpg

Here are South Korea's admission totals 

R1 OD - 145k

SW8 OD- 115k

Solo OD - 18.8k

*Yea yea I know this isn't the market for it blah blah but if its seeing drops in European markets then it would be interesting to see if it can make it up else where which so far its not. 

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Star Wars being a non entity in Asia is a big problem and I see no remedy or cure, it is what it is.

need to remake star wars as f&f in space, before f&f itself goes into space.

need to make it about family.

Edited by A2k Raptor

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is the only way now that Hollywood has more or less stopped making "midscale" movies.

The horror genre is almost the only place left where upcoming directors can break out at the box office.

This is the thing I hate the most about present day Hollywood. And why I am really concerned about what will happen with Fox Searchlight films under Disney.

The lack of midscale films is a tragedy that is not good for the industry in the long haul.