Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

[watch it do a 5.5 or a 9...]

Need it to be, don't want a middling opening. Either open well or BOMB in all caps. I'm ready, got my non-perishables

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looking at past MD weekends - while Sunday drops are low, Saturday increases are also pretty subdued compared to previous weeks. Holdovers seem to increase 25% less than prior Saturdays and new releases tend to increase about 20% from true Friday numbers.

Unless I'm doing my math very wrong...

POTC 5 increased 12% from true Friday.

Apocalypse increased 13%.

Tomorrowland increased 31%, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the rest.

DOFP increased 7%

F&F6 dropped 2%.

I'd say we'd be more likely looking at a 10% increase on Saturday.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

9:00 PM previews.... from 2013 with an over 11 previews to OW multi is quite the odd comparable yes.

Disney was going at it with theaters over %s which wasn't settled if I recall until a couple of days before IM3's release.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They had a lot of stuff for Solo but it never seemed to gain any momentum.  Even a Super Bowl drop for the trailer didn't do much buzz.

The super bowl spot was awful, like some John Carter marketing. Honestly I thought all the early trailers and spots were completely off-putting, only some of the late spots after that last trailer were neat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Kong vs Godzilla in 2020 could do it as long as they manage to actually deliver with Godzilla 2 and it doesn't get the bad reception of the first. Skull Island went over surprisingly well, so they're half way there to setting up a big vs film. 

These monster movies do fine worldwide but they are not breaking any record in the US, and that is unlikely to change.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

The super bowl spot was awful, like some John Carter marketing. Honestly I thought all the early trailers and spots were completely off-putting, only some of the late spots after that last trailer were neat

I had, misguided maybe, confidence that this movie was one great trailer away to turn the momentum around, never got close imo.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Guesses for the immediate RT audience score? -15%? 

Well people have already down voted it like crazy on RT and for some reason the Want to see rating is factored into the audience rating. So it'll def be low. The want to see rating is in the low 30s.

The Youtube Hate crowd are gonna be quite productive in the coming weeks :

" We were right about Kathleen Kennedy !!! " rants ...

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

These monster movies do fine worldwide but they are not breaking any record in the US, and that is unlikely to change.

Godzilla opened to 93m. The sequel would easily be on target for a 120+ OW if the first hadn't gotten such dismal audience reception. But if Godzilla 2 goes over well and rebuilds some of the momentum, combined with Kong's success, I can see GvK getting the OW Godzilla 2 should have had. 

WB being extremely smart for once by releasing Godzilla 2 before GvK, so it can help repair some of the damage. It's the opposite strategy they took with JL. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think they're released too close together as well, especially when Disney has several months open on the calendar.  I still think August would have been a much better slot.  It makes me wonder how much Lucas Film was pushing for the date.  They wanted it for TFA until there were delays.  And maybe an August or heaven forbid a Sept or October release date just isn't prestigious enough.   Like when Spielberg contractually demanded BFG get a  July spot when it would have been better off in a less crowded slot.

Regarding marketing, they started IW relatively late as well and devoted far more time to BP.    It's just that once the trailer landed that was almost all the marketing it needed.  

They had a lot of stuff for Solo but it never seemed to gain any momentum.  Even a Super Bowl drop for the trailer didn't do much buzz.

I do think the Nov animated films get shortchanged  a bit but the recent MD movies just haven't been good.

If it wasn’t for Poppins, Christmas would have been a much better spot for Solo.

TLJ is still in recent memory, so people aren’t clamoring to line up for another Star Wars movie.  On a positive note, I think the breathing room should help episode 9.

I think Christmas is a much better spot for Star Wars.  Not only does it benefit legs, but I’m sure you get a much larger merchandise spike because of the holidays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

If it wasn’t for Poppins, Christmas would have been a much better spot for Solo.

TLJ is still in recent memory, so people aren’t clamoring to line up for another Star Wars movie.  On a positive note, I think the breathing room should help episode 9.

I think Christmas is a much better spot for Star Wars.  Not only does it benefit legs, but I’m sure you get a much larger merchandise spike because of the holidays.

not much breathing room. Episode 9 will be coming less than two years from the last Star Wars film still. Unlike ROTJ or ROTS which had a full three years

I still don’t get why studios stigmatize certain dates and idolize others.

Disney hurts itself by cramming all of its big blockbusters into a May - Early July timeframe and a November - December timeframe when there’s plenty of dates to give blockbusters time to breathe.

Theres only a few dates where I actually see some benefit in putting prized movies or avoiding placing them (that’s Christmas timeframe plus a few other non-busy holiday weekends like MLK, Easter or Presidents Day for placing movies and avoiding Super Bowl Sunday and the Labor Day area)

The Summer weekdays are nice and all, but they aren’t nice if you’ve choked out one of your tentpoles with a few of your others.  It should be obvious by now that taking advantage of barren months like September, October and April could actually lead to a massive success as there’s no other big movies competing for your movie’s attention.

I believe the OW record would theoretically be obtainable in any month if you released a movie like TFA or IW in them.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Godzilla opened to 93m. The sequel would easily be on target for a 120+ OW if the first hadn't gotten such dismal audience reception. But if Godzilla 2 goes over well and rebuilds some of the momentum, combined with Kong's success, I can see GvK getting the OW Godzilla 2 should have had. 

But the first DID have dismal reception and legs after one of the best marketing campaigns in recent memory, not sure what you think is pointing to the second being able to recover to that extent. Kong's 60/160 run certainly isn't pointing toward a record opening either

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

not much breathing room. Episode 9 will be coming less than two years from the last Star Wars film still. Unlike ROTJ or ROTS which had a full three years

It’s more breathing room than most of the big franchises nowadays though.