Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not gonna bother reading the last 50 or so pages (praise the lord I've had better things to do all day) so all I'll say is that hopefully Solo comes on the higher end of RTH's numbers just to wilt the boners I'm sure the haters have been having.

The worst thing about Solo underperforming so badly is it will cause the Cameron fanboys here to become truly obnoxious over the next few days with their "Stat Wars is Dead and Avatar will Take It's Place " scenario.

9 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

waiting for people on here saying that's a terrible score and laughable 

Solo seems to be a good movie, but you have to check your expectations at the theater door.

Besides, Power Rangers 2017 got a higher CinemaScore ( A ).

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hunch said:

Aladdin is meant to be a 'wise cracking street urchin' like a lot of the characters in Guy Ritchie's films. They were also thinking of the Sherlock films.

They probably loved the underrated King Arthur, where Arthur also was a "wise cracking street urchin".

Edited by MrGlass2

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I've given up on there ever being a truly good video game movie. I still foolishly want a Legend of Zelda movie though.

We'll likely get one eventually. Its hard because you're trying to change being the character vs watching them from afar. Because of that many video games mechanics and story structure just doesn't work in a standard 2 hour Hollywood movie. EDIT: I think many video games can work better as live action tv series or cartoons. 

And even if we do get one to break that barrier, I doubt the vast majority of video game adaptations can be all 3: Faithful to the source material, Function properly in a movie format and Check all the boxes on what many would say every "great" movie has. I say that because there's a reason why 40+ adaptations (per BoM) have been very bad to mediocre at best. Its not a coincidence.  And as for mentions of Last Of Us, just saying we had The Girl With All the Gifts, Cargo, Logan, The Road, Book Of Eli, Children Of Men, etc. 

Edited by Belle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Solo seems to be a good movie, but you have to check your expectations at the theater door.

Besides, Power Rangers 2017 got a higher CinemaScore ( A ).

Holy shit that is like the best movie to compare to this, how did no one notice this?! They sound very similar as far as how they are described. But I can't tell if I liked that movie because it was enjoyable or because of nostalgia

6 minutes ago, StevenG said:

People are dooming-and-glooming over Aladdin's potential at the box office because it might be an awful film?

Was Beauty and the Beast anything but an awful, soulless copy-and-paste of the original?

Did that stop it from grossing a billion dollars?

You have a point. Beauty was ass and made a mint.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The weirdest part about Richie doing Aladdin is that the reports from what people have seen made it sound like Disney totally neutered his style for it. So then why go with him in the first place? 

Easy paycheck after back-to-back flops (The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and King Arthur).

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I remember certain people saying that this was a bad score when Ready Player One got it. Also Man of Steel got an A- score as well. The truth is this score tells us nothing.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Except there's a solid $1.1b+ worth of family targeted films releasing in May and June. It's simply too much in a two month span, and there will be family film fatigue by the time TLK hits. Not enough to stop it from being big, but definitely enough to stop these 600+ numbers. 

Not to mention, how do we know backlash/fatigue for the Disney live action remakes franchise won't have set in by then given Dumbo and Aladdin hitting so soon before TLK? Especially if Aladdin is hated. 

Nope.  It will have a 7 weeks to itself and summer weekdays.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember certain people saying that this was a bad score when Ready Player One got it. Also Man of Steel got an A- score as well. The truth is this score tells us nothing.

The fact that people actually still pay attention to these kind of scores says it all. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The weirdest part about Richie doing Aladdin is that the reports from what people have seen made it sound like Disney totally neutered his style for it. So then why go with him in the first place? 

Hell, Ritchie himself neutered the cutting style of his terrific early Film noir Crime thrillers when he turned to big budget blockbusters.

IMHO Ritcie simply cannot do period films set further back then the 2oth Century. He makes his charecters 2oth century people wearing funny clothing. A wise cracking King Arthur just does not cut it.

But I agree it's puzzling why Disney stuck with Ritchie, especially with what happened with King Arthur, which opened a few weeks before filming started on Aladdin,time enough to make a change.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Nope.  It will have a 7 weeks to itself and summer weekdays.  

Can you answer me this: did Deadline underestimate Book Club's $10-$12M 4-day? That number just seems so off to me given how well its been holding all damn week. Unless it just had a muted increase on Friday which would make no sense. 

1 minute ago, Rthanos said:

go for now with Solo 36.5, DP2 12, AIW 4

Deadpool 2 #CRUMBLING 

*But Im pretty sure I called this last weekend with that Saturday number :thinking:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

go for now with Solo 36.5, DP2 12, AIW 4

Oh, so it’s medium crumbling. The most boring timeline.      

Meh number for DP2.    

Insanely good for IW though :)    

Edit: Misremebered last Fri numbers for IW, whoops. Still pretty solid.

Edited by Thanos Legion