Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Fandango sales today:

Solo A S 70066
Deadpool 37007
Avengers 11934
Book Clu 7130
Life of  2574
Breaking 1702
Show Dog 1345
A Quiet  1243
Overboar 1165

Solo will have a good advantage of more 3D/PLF share I imagine and higher ticket average, but......... not doubling deadpool sale on there and Deadpool sale much more the night than during the day.

On the last 2 hours they are getting close.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another random thought- the reshoots may have meant the marketing team didn't have enough time to prepare their strategy. They did seem to stumble at first and take time to find the angle that actually worked. Normally they'd have done market research and ad testing beforehand. Maybe they simply didn't have time at first.

• Thanks 1

I am not into that blame crap since making a movie has way too many variables but please remember that JJ Abrams was kinda bullied by Bob Iger to deliver Force Awakens by Christmas 2015.

JJ wanted more time and had Summer 2016 in mind, the Bob Iger date added extra pressure on that little 4B$ movie, as Iger used to call Force Awakens at diner parties with JJ (true anecdote by the way)

Iger wanted Force Awakens numbers to show to his shareholders by March/April 2016.

So excuse JJ and his team for having little time to come up with character arcs for 3 films ...

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Kennedy is not stepping down. People on here always believe that careers are killed too easily. The woman is a legend in her industry.

True. I mean WB kept giving Zack Snyder chances....

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

All these neck beards on the internet trying to talk shit about one of the most accomplished women in Hollywood

Y’all funny.

I feel like this entire thread has been dividing everyone between who has a life and who obviously doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I feel like this entire thread has been dividing everyone between who has a life and who obviously doesn't.

typical response when someone can't handle criticism against something. It takes about a few seconds to post on a message board. It doesn't prevent someone from having a life

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am not into that blame crap since making a movie has way too many variables but please remember that JJ Abrams was kinda bullied by Bob Iger to deliver Force Awakens by Christmas 2015.

JJ wanted more time and had Summer 2016 in mind, the Bob Iger date added extra pressure on that little 4B$ movie, as Iger used to call Force Awakens at diner parties with JJ (true anecdote by the way)

Iger wanted Force Awakens numbers to show to his shareholders by March/April 2016.

So excuse JJ and his team for having little time to come up with character arcs for 3 films ...

Abrams had 4 years after the first Star Trek movie and he gave the world STID which gave us #WhiteKhan and magical alien blood and other wonderfully silly stuff that weren't done as jokes at all. You give him too much credit. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just saw it, and it honestly astounds me that such a nothingburger of a movie 1) allegedly cost more than $300M to make (I'm gonna assume those reshoots were extremely expensive, cause the money's not even close to being on-screen) and 2) has become such a lightning rod for debate over whether its box office numbers have killed an entire franchise or not.

But as for the movie...meh. Between this and the similar "whatever" quality of Rogue One, I'm good if we don't get any more of these spin-off/origin Star Wars movies.

When you basically reshoot an entire film..whih is what happened here with every scene with Han Solo haveing to be reshot,the budget is going to go through the roof.

I think Kennedy will keep her job, but i suspect she will get chewed out over the cost overruns on the film, and will have to explian why she waited until the principal photography was 90% complete before firing Lord and Miller if she did not like what she was seeing. For that, as Ricky Ricardo would say in "I Love Lucy" she has some 'splaining to do.

Just now, John Marston said:

typical response when someone can't handle criticism against something. It takes about a few seconds to post on a message board. It doesn't prevent someone from having a life

I didn't even like Solo but the endless arguments about the same things again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again in this thread are exhausting. Find something better to do. It's one of the reasons my time has become limited on this site recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

All these neck beards on the internet trying to talk shit about one of the most accomplished women in Hollywood

Y’all funny.

Same thing happened with Amy Pascal. I’m pretty sure she had 2 movies nominated for best picture this year.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Y’all funny.

Hell let's be honest: take her first 4 SW movies and line them up against Kevin Feige's first 4 MCU movies...she's done an overall better job in terms of moviemaking.

(Caveat I don't love any of those 4 SW movies as much as I do IRON MAN which held up like a mother in a recent rewatch. But none of them were as remarkably generic as INCREDIBLE HULK or as messy as IRON MAN 2. Honestly they're on par with THOR: decent if not really outstanding, which has been my main summary of those post-Disney SW movies.)

It's also why Rian Johnson had to pretty much had to have the script done for TLJ before TFA was complete because TLJ was initially a Memorial Day Weekend 2017 Release so it had only 18 Months after TFA's release. 

So yeah some of Disney's eagerness to make Memorial Day Weekend a Star Wars Weekend haven't helped matters.

Markus and McFeely noted that they really didn't have enough production time for Infinity War but they were able to do it because the Russo Brothers brought the same production team as Winter Soldier and Civil War so there was a short hand. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

People didn't want Rogue One either. Lucasfilm should have NEVER gave up on the December release date. It's just too good, both as a new "tradition" to the GA and hardcores, and also from a merchandising standpoint. It's just a completely stupid move. If they wanted MORE time between EPIX and a Star Wars film, then move EP IX to May 4th 2020 or delay another year. I don't see how Kennedy's role can go undamaged after this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she steps down, to be honest. 

It's not so much about people wanting it on announcement. A lot of movies people don't want until they have a reason to. Rogue One provided that while Solo did not.