Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Chewy said:

It's going to happen at some point and I just have this feeling that it's gonna be one of the worst ones. I know people say there's a way to adapt it that'd be great and I agree but there's no way the movie that will actually get made isn't a disaster

I don't know if I'd say it will come from one of the "worst" ones, but I am inclined to agree it will end up a very unexpected one.

Oh man I'm just gonna keep posting about video game movies and hope that we can all agree to ignore the other thing that's happening in this thread right now

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It's going to happen at some point and I just have this feeling that it's gonna be one of the worst ones. I know people say there's a way to adapt it that'd be great and I agree but there's no way the movie that will actually get made isn't a disaster

I don’t see how you can adapt a Zelda game. The game is just numerous levels of accomplishing the same tasks just in different environments each time.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

If the Mario movie is successful I can see Nintendo greenlighting a live action Zelda movie. If nothing else, there is a dearth of sword-and-shield fantasy right now and maybe a great Zelda movie can change that... or it can be another Assassin's Creed.

1 hour ago, Lestranger said:

Still cant fathom why they didn't push Solo to Dec or August.

December was always out;Disney penciled in Mary Poppins Returns for that date when they greenlit the film. Disney seems fully commited to give MPR every chance to be a blockbuster.

Not sure it would have done much better in August. IMHO still too close to TLJ for the fatigue factor.

November might have made some sense;move Wreck It Ralph to the Memorial day spot and Solo to the Thanksgving spot.

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

I don’t see how you can adapt a Zelda game. The game is just numerous levels of accomplishing the same tasks just in different environments each time.

The same way you would write a novel. Develop story around those tasks and create a compelling world. Ocarina Of Time could be done but that would be going into something that's more Warcraft territory and isn't as grounded as something like Uncharted.

2 hours ago, Litio said:

A movie that costs $250m + $180m of marketing making less than $ 500m is not good. I do not know if you're pretending to be forgotten, but the studio does not get all the revenue from the box office. Keep pretending that doing less than 2x the budget is good. Maybe you can fool yourself into thinking you were right all along.

Plus: Let's read some of your funny quotes trying to convince everyone that Solo would be a success:

I don't know any posters' personalities and empire seems mellow in this thread, but ouch, burn.

1 minute ago, Hunch said:

I love the female characters in Star Wars (even Rey became interesting in Last Jedi), and I'm glad they created more of them, but is it not sexist to exclude an entire gender from something, simply because they are part of that gender?

"along with John Swartz, a producer at Lucasfilm, and talked about their hopes for the future of “Star Wars.” 

But excluded all males right? Come on.

• Like 1

I see a Zelda movie like a Star Wars movie where a SW movie will have 3 major planets the characters travel to, except it can be three major dungeons instead for Link, possibly with a B-plot in the background of Zelda doing stuff. But that's off-the-cuff 30 second spitballing, don't look at me for how you would pitch it to Nintendo.

Edited by Mekanos

Just saw Solo. It's okay. I wish after Rogue One Disney stopped with this spin off every other year stuff. Star Wars isn't built for that.  

Edited by Belle
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Solo's astonishingly low overseas numbers to me just confirms that this was always simply a project that nobody really wanted and is thus performing accordingly. Moving it to December or having a drama-free production wouldn't have solved anything.

While I agree that no one asked for this movie, I do want to add that out of state, marketing for Solo was abysmal. And by abysmal it was non-existent. A lot of members who live in certain territories talked about how it didn't even feel like the movie was coming out. Between the terrible ass marketing in the states and the non-existent marketing else where one has to wonder why Disney would do a Star Wars film dirty like that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

If the Mario movie is successful I can see Nintendo greenlighting a live action Zelda movie. If nothing else, there is a dearth of sword-and-shield fantasy right now and maybe a great Zelda movie can change that... or it can be another Assassin's Creed.

It's all gonna come down to Detective Pikachu

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

December was always out;Disney penciled in Mary Poppins Returns for that date when they greenlit the film. Disney seems fully commited to give MPR every chance to be a blockbuster.

Not sure it would have done much better in August. IMHO still too close to TLJ for the fatigue factor.

November might have made some sense;move Wreck It Ralph to the Memorial day spot and Solo to the Thanksgving spot.

Swap WiT and Ralph's release dates, and then that sounds good. Spring was in desperate need of an appealing family film, Ralph could have cleared 300 with ease. Whereas the holiday is in desperate need of getting rid of appealing family films, there's too many. WiT was obviously going to be a bust no matter what, might as well have given it the same TL slot. November sounds good for Solo. Could have done a little better and not interfered much with MPR.