Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, somebody85 said:

The Last Of Us starts pretty slow after it's opening (when it's introducing the future) but really picks up once Joel and Ellie take off.

It follows such pitch perfect structure for a good film. It’s also very easy to figure out the parts that are excessive for film and only work in the game and then cut that out. I can map out exactly how you do it in a 130 minute film or so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh they’re completely clueless to it, I can promise you. This is the same way comic book movies became huge. By adapting characters and stories for a casual audience that would never dream of reading a “silly” comic book.

As someone who used to be a hardcore gamer back through SNES to PS2 and took a long break, I had no idea how much they've changed. Back then, really only Metal Gear Solid had the cinematic aspects and as a kid I always wanted a movie of the original and used to daydream about it happening.

Nowadays, even something like Life Is Strange would work adapted to screen even if a similar story was already told with The Butterfly Effect.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The Last Of Us starts pretty slow after it's opening (when it's introducing the future) but really picks up once Joel and Ellie take off.

The Last of Us would have bombed cause Game Movie Curse + GoT Actor/Actress Curse (they courted Maisie Williams for it)

Just now, Valonqar said:

The Last of Us would have bombed cause Game Movie Curse + GoT Actor/Actress Curse (they courted Maisie Williams for it)

I don't think so. If Naughty Dog stay on as executive producers and oversaw everything from writing and directing choices, I can't see it being mishandled. The problem Neil seems to have is recasting those characters and retelling the story from the last interview about the movie.

1 minute ago, Serpico Jones said:

Interesting to note that big-mouthed Pablo Hidalgo has completely disappeared from twitter...

He claims his account was hacked. What happened is that a tweet appeared where he (or hacker) tweeted that Lucas Star Wars and fanbase are caveman masculine. 

I'm not gonna bother reading the last 50 or so pages (praise the lord I've had better things to do all day) so all I'll say is that hopefully Solo comes on the higher end of RTH's numbers just to wilt the boners I'm sure the haters have been having.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Uncharted and The Last of Us already feel like movies. I mean what would be the point? Just film the cut scenes or something?

Did you see Beauty and the Beast?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

But do we really want videogame fan wars invading movies?

At least it would bring new franchises to the table. They just need to be better handled and studios need to treat them more seriously as far as writing and casting. Someone who really cares about the franchise (like the original writers or developers) needs to be heavily involved. Rampage and Tomb Raider weren't it. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm not gonna bother reading the last 50 or so pages (praise the lord I've had better things to do all day) so all I'll say is that hopefully Solo comes on the higher end of RTH's numbers just to wilt the boners I'm sure the haters have been having.

even if it does come in higher this will still be a disappointment/flop unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Eh, they still have the abysmal overseas numbers to keep them going through the weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Video game movies really need their Donner Superman equivalent to get off the ground. Something that can change how audiences and the industry look at them forever. 

Need someone to ADAPT a video game and not just try and throw fan service on the screen. All these video game movies feel beholden to the fans and dump all this minutiae garbage from the games onto the screen and into the dialogue and audiences start yawning

• Like 2

Just now, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

even if it does come in higher this will still be a disappointment/flop unfortunately 

It will (those overseas numbers, yeesh) but I'll take it as a lesson that no brand is infallible, not even Star Wars. Certainly not gonna sit around declaring that "The Last Jedi killed the franchise" and "Star Wars is dead" or whatever.

• Like 1