Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

45 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes, the racism and sexism didn't help matters. So now we know, it's not just bigots that HATE The Last Jedi. I wonder what Lucas Film next move will be. Ignoring the criticisms is not an option. WB ignored criticisms and now their cinematic universe is on life support. 

Is there actually prejudiced sexism? Or is criticism like Rey is a Mary Sue and they aren't making her relatable bc the social climate has them too scared to not have her be a paragon and concerns of ideological film making makes uninspired, disingenuous flat movies that lack nuance being called sexism?

8 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

The Last of Us is a video-game Masterpiece, a film will ruin its reputation 2492940-8157690685-89663.jpg

As much as I dislike Beauty And The Beast and Halloween remakes, they didn't ruin the originals reputation. 

It could be done in the right hands and unlike Beauty And The Beast, it would not have to be the exact same scene for scene. 

Solo's astonishingly low overseas numbers to me just confirms that this was always simply a project that nobody really wanted and is thus performing accordingly. Moving it to December or having a drama-free production wouldn't have solved anything.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have to admit, it would be very hard to accept someone other than Ellen Page as Ellie, but unfortunately she's just too old. I need her to be Juno age again lol. 

I thought the girl in Pacific Rim 2 played that type of role pretty well and reminded me a lot of Ellie. Not saying her but someone who can pull that type of attitude off. It could be done.

Prince of Persia is the best video game movie and it's simply because it functions as a movie, you can sit down and watch it and it's completely straightforward and sets thing up and pays them off. Like it's not actually GOOD good, but it's at least a movie

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Solo's astonishingly low overseas numbers to me just confirms that this was always simply a project that nobody really wanted and is thus performing accordingly. Moving it to December or having a drama-free production wouldn't have solved anything.

I agree, however OS still responds to poor/divisive received films in a similar way as DOM audiences do. I don't think TLJ's reception was limited to DOM, so therefore it makes sense the effect wouldn't be limited to DOM either. 

Solo running about 40% ahead of Deadpool 2 on Fandango at the moment:

Updated by @akvalley: 2018-05-25 20:59:25 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME	TICKETS	MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2018-05-25 20:00:00	1057	Solo A Star Wars Story
2018-05-25 20:00:00	967	Deadpool 2
2018-05-25 20:00:00	254	Avengers Infinity War
2018-05-25 20:00:00	172	Solo A Star Wars Story 3D
2018-05-25 20:00:00	112	Book Club
2018-05-25 20:00:00	76	Solo A Star Wars Story The IMAX 2D Experience
2018-05-25 20:00:00	64	Solo A Star Wars Story An IMAX 3D Experience
2018-05-25 20:00:00	52	Life of the Party
2018-05-25 20:00:00	51	Overboard (2018)
2018-05-25 20:00:00	41	Breaking In (2018)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much. Disinterest in the story is the root of the problem, the rest is just cosmetics. 

@MovieMan89 TLJ reception absolutely wasn't limited to dom though markets where SW was never strong before TFA hype abandoned the ship cause it wasn't for them. Not much to do with divisiveness since it opened low before buzz could spread. It's Solo's collapse in traditional markets that's the big story and TLJ dropped in all of them too despite some openings that matched TFA (Japan, for example). 

Edited by Valonqar

in terms of financial success, video games movies haven't been doing too bad. Rampage just made over 400m. The first Jolie Tomb Raider and the recent Vikander ones were modest successes. The first Mortal Kombat was a modest success. Resident Evil managed to have a long series thanks to the low budgets. 

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Prince of Persia is the best video game movie and it's simply because it functions as a movie, you can sit down and watch it and it's completely straightforward and sets thing up and pays them off. Like it's not actually GOOD good, but it's at least a movie

I have to agree, it's the best one I've seen. Felt like it was so close to truly working, the writing and plot just couldn't escape a certain blandness unfortunately. 

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

also Uncharted is being made, it stars Tom Holland as a younger Drake I think. It won't be a copy of one of the games story lines which might be the way to go

They cast the wrong Marvel Tom.

4 minutes ago, Rebelscum said:

They cast the wrong Marvel Tom.

Yeah, I'm not at all on board with Holland or this weird young Drake angle they're going for. Hardy could work now that you mention it.

Edit: Lmao, totally forgot about Hiddleston, who I'm sure is who you were referring to. Not sure about that one. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have to agree, it's the best one I've seen. Felt like it was so close to truly working, the writing and plot just couldn't escape a certain blandness unfortunately. 

Actually the Prince of Persia movie is a pretty good comparison to Solo, come to think of it. Both kinda Pirates lite

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I've given up on there ever being a truly good video game movie. I still foolishly want a Legend of Zelda movie though.

It's going to happen at some point and I just have this feeling that it's gonna be one of the worst ones. I know people say there's a way to adapt it that'd be great and I agree but there's no way the movie that will actually get made isn't a disaster

• Like 2