Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Mulder said:

Literally nobody was super upset over Canto Bight. It was ((As you said earlier)) Luke, Rey's parentage, and Snoke's death. Those are the three main things people bring up.

I hated the Canto Brght part.  Pointless for the most part and added 20 extra minutes to a movie that didn't need it.  

I also couldn't stand the nonsense rip off of Independence Day.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People who are ignoring the absolutely dire international numbers. Solo is going to need to hit 450mil domestic to save face. If this were a DC film none of this hand-wringing would be happening. Everyone would just except that it's a hilarious flop.

What's you accurately point out here is exactly why TLJ critics are so vocal. It's constant PR spin and denial of reality for corporate messaging.

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I hated the Canto Brght part.  Pointless for the most part and added 20 extra minutes to a movie that didn't need it.  

Canto Bight's also my biggest issue with TLJ. Was just speaking for what I see people usually bring up with TLJ.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Last of Us is such an easy game to adapt to a good film. Naughty Dog has already done all the work. Only hard part would be convincing whatever studio to take the risk as an R, since it obviously has to be one. 

Oh I agree but I'd say the same for Uncharted 2, 3 and 4. All the works already done and 4 even opens and closes like a movie. I wish they would see it how Marvel see's retelling comic book stories on different mediums. Yes I agree that some fans aren't going to like it or complain about the changes like every other adaptation but that doesn't mean it can't be done and still be effective.

I wish Neil could see it that way and man, I really hope The Last Of Us 2 is a good expansion on that story and doesn't feel unnecessary. 

15 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If anything I'd venture WB tried to listen way too late in the game, JL's a mess because they tried to course correct way too late instead of just letting that trilogy conclude naturally. I'm fairly sure SW9'll have damage control.

The rehiring of Abrams after Trevorrow got sacked, seems to suggest that they're being a bit more cautious. Even if it does decrease, I think IX will be a lot less divisive then TLJ.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I wanted to like the Rose character but the movie just gave her nothing to work with. They should have just given Poe and Finn a storyline to work on together. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Subversions don't equal risks and TLJ pulled itself back every time it was on the verge of taking a risk. The Jedi Must End...nope, I won't be the last Jedi. Rey tempted to join Kylo...nope, refuses just like Luke in ESB and Padme in ROTS. Poe is responsible for getting over 400 people killed and a mutiny...ha,ha, how cute! "I like him!" "Me too!" "Follow him!" I could go on. If you want a really great subversion of tropes, watch AIW. If you want risk taking, watch AIW. That's how it's done.

yeah. What risks? Trolling the audiences is not risk taking

Worst was that one part where Luke says Rey makes no effort to resist the dark side, and it receives absolutely zero follow up

if any director should have been fired from their movie it is Johnson, but they kept him and now they are going to end up suffering for it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Canto Bight was my main issue with the film as well. Some of the worst dialogue occurs during that area and I just wanted to get back to Luke and Rey.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree with that. The film drags like a mofo. It's shocking nobody took notice of that.

Isn't it by far it's biggest complain (outside the star wars lore element) ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Canto Bight's also my biggest issue with TLJ. Was just speaking for what I see people usually bring up with TLJ.

It's 700mil drop was bad. Nobody expected it to do as well as TFA but it should have done at the very least 1.5billion and most people thought that it was going to do 1.7billion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Oh I agree but I'd say the same for Uncharted 2, 3 and 4. All the works already done and 4 even opens and closes like a movie. I wish they would see it how Marvel see's retelling comic book stories on different mediums. Yes I agree that some fans aren't going to like it or complain about the changes like every other adaptation but that doesn't mean it can't be done and still be effective.

I wish Neil could see it that way and man, I really hope The Last Of Us 2 is a good expansion on that story and doesn't feel unnecessary. 

Yes, I have championed Uncharted films for literally a decade now, but I also wonder if they wouldn’t be a bit too derivative? Are people really clamoring for another Indy/Tomb Raider type of franchise? That’s why maybe The Last of Us and trying something video game movies never have might actually be the better route. I also think the characterizations are a bit better with that game and it packs more emotional heft. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah. What risks? Trolling the audiences is not risk taking

Really ? Not sure if serious here, how trolling the audience not risky ?

Was issues with the movie a lot of people had was just bad execution or some actual decision taken they hated ? (that what risk are usually, decision that have a good chance to be hated, that have a narrow landing strip to work that need great execution because the idea itself will not be loved easily)

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, I have championed Uncharted films for literally a decade now, but I also wonder if they wouldn’t be a bit too derivative? Are people really clamoring for another Indy/Tomb Raider type of franchise? That’s why maybe The Last of Us and trying something video game movies never have might actually be the better route. I also think the characterizations are a bit better with that game and it packs more emotional heft. 

Do people really want another zombie franchise?

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's 700mil drop was bad. Nobody expected it to do as well as TFA but it should have done at the very least 1.5billion and most people thought that it was going to do 1.7billion. 

I don't know if anybody expected OS dropoff to be as strong as it was though. I think the reality is even if the movie was universally well-received (let's say a 3.3 multi), 1.5B would have been the high end of things. Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

Edited by Mekanos

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not convinced games can work as easily as movies as people like to say they are. Lots of story-driven games are hours long, how do you condense that into a 2 hour movie?

Well for Uncharted, a lot of that time is spent getting from one place to another (lots of climbing) or in a large gun battle set piece. I think it would be pretty easy to condense each into a 2 hour and 15 minute movie.

Same with The Last Of Us. You approach a scene where you have to take down 10-15 guys using stealth. You could easily cut these scenes down.

The thing Naughty Dog seems to have a problem with is other actors portraying the characters.

• Like 1