Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean I definitely don't think it would be a clear path but they're still not targeting the same demo at all. Either way even if they were I think if they were the only two big films in August then they'd both do fine as opposed to the cluster fuck that is May 

Only thing being if it came out too late in August it loses summer weekdays. Week after Robin has the Meg... I guess DP2 could have tried releasing next to that. Or just say fuck it and release same weekend as Christopher Robin, that won't be a mega opener but will have solid legs.

19 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Meh. The Jedi are most interesting when they're in small doses. When everyone's a Force user with a lightsaber it's less special.

The way you describe a big war scene makes me think of this:

giphy.gif

But I'm not a "hardcore" Star Wars fan so what do I know.

Did you play the game knights of the old republic? fucking amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YLF said:

Did you play the game knights of the old republic? fucking amazing.

Nope. I know it's very good, but I think in film the Jedi are less appealing the more of them they are. Sorta takes away from the magic when every other character can use the Force and swing a Lightsaber. But that's probably an uncommon opinion. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

profit is doubtful on Solo especially when factoring in an estimated production cost well north of $300M before P&A

If true, if net and depending of what they mean by well north (315 or 330 ?), if the Kasdan, Kennedy, Howard and co. have first dollar gross (or that start low) that is starting to be quite expensive, rumored Justice League type of expensive.

• Like 1

What were the latest franchise starters in the last 5-6 years or so ?

Not including animation.

Pacific Rim ?

Not sure how to take into account superheroes or not in this question.

Only superhero movies seem to be able to start new franchises in recent years :

Guardians 

Ant Man

Deadpool

Dr Strange

Wonder Woman

Black Panther

Forgot anyone ?

14 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Nope. I know it's very good, but I think in film the Jedi are less appealing the more of them they are. Sorta takes away from the magic when every other character can use the Force and swing a Lightsaber. But that's probably an uncommon opinion. 

The thing all the disney star wars movies have lacked in my opinion is the jedi action. The thing that makes star wars unique is the jedi abilities and especially the light sabers. The spin offs and the new episodic movies have mostly focused on space ship battles and action sequences with gun laser/blasters. Which just kind of makes it another sci fi flick. 

Very few lightsaber battles. :(

Id love  KOTOR series.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I've always felt this way too.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not including animation.

Pacific Rim ?

Guardians 

Ant Man

Deadpool

Dr Strange

Wonder Woman

Black Panther

Forgot anyone ?

Does Ready player one count? It did decently. You're missing Jurassic world, though.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Not including animation.

Pacific Rim ?

Guardians 

Ant Man

Deadpool

Dr Strange

Wonder Woman

Black Panther

Forgot anyone ?

They tried to make Jump Street a thing but I think that's died.

1 minute ago, YLF said:

The thing all the disney star wars movies have lacked in my opinion is the jedi action. The thing that makes star wars unique is the jedi abilities and especially the light sabers. The spin offs and the new episodic movies have mostly focused on space ship battles and action sequences with gun lasers. 

Id love  KOTOR series.

My enjoyment of the SW film is probably much more limited than the average fan. I enjoy them as constructions of film, the way they bring the world to life, the direction and effects, I like seeing the world brought to life in a live-action context. I have less interest in spin-offs depicting the world because a lot of the fun for me is seeing it realized through filmmaking. And from a film perspective, part of the reason the prequels are less interesting to me is because the Jedi are more fun as a pseudo-myth with only a very few limited characters that can use the Force. 

Even though I already got called out in this thread for being a Dragon Ball fan, the comparison I would use is like if they made a spin-off starring a bunch of Super Saiyans. Super Saiyans are a fun element of the series, but in part because so few characters can become one. Less is more. 

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not including animation.

Pacific Rim ?

Guardians 

Ant Man

Deadpool

Dr Strange

Wonder Woman

Black Panther

Forgot anyone ?

The Conjuring. It's even managed to spawn spinoff franchises (Annabelle).

I'd not count Pacific Rim unless there's a third movie. To me "franchise" entails more than 2 movies.

Edited by Celedhring

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The 3 movies or more that started in the last 5-6 year's

Hunger Games/Pitch Perfect in 2012

Conjuring 2013

Maze Runner 2014

50 shades 2015

Divergent ?

Kingsman will joint that group soon, I imagine, same for John Wick.

Is there talk for a Now you see me 3 ? Second one still made a giant box office.

And far from new obviously, but the new version of the Poirot is off a good start with Murder on The Orient express could see them make 3 of those, material is certainly all already there to support has many audience will take of him.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

I don't need 100 Jedi fighting 100 Sith but when it was announced that Disney were making a sequel trilogy my ideal version would have been Luke with a small group (10 or less) of Jedi roaming around the galaxy keeping the peace and completely detatched from the New Republic unlike in the prequels where the Jedi were bound by what Palpatine The Senate wanted them to do. Heck I wouldn't have minded if the villain wasn't a Force User (someone like Thrawn). Your main protagonist could have been Luke's latest student who was found while the galaxy is on the brink of another war. 

Now I like TFA and TLJ but I do think in an aim to recreate the magic of the Original Trilogy they needlessly discarded the idea of portraying a New Republic or a New Jedi Order onscreen instead they rehashed the exact same conflict people saw 30 years ago. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

1 hour ago, Hunch said:

The way China does not give a rat's ass about Star Wars :sparta:

Chinese OW will be $10m. IW opened with 20x that amount.

Even more hilarious situation in India. OW will be $0.2m. IW opened with nearly 100x that! :hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, YLF said:

The thing all the disney star wars movies have lacked in my opinion is the jedi action. The thing that makes star wars unique is the jedi abilities and especially the light sabers. The spin offs and the new episodic movies have mostly focused on space ship battles and action sequences with gun lasers. Which just kind of makes it another sci fi flick. 

Id love  KOTOR series.

Lightsaber battles are best used when they are a battle of the wills between two main characters, not some random brawl between nameless jedi/sith like often happened in the terrible prequels. I think lightsaber duels have been used well in the Disney movies. You have two big ones involving both Rey and Ren, which tell the tale of how their relationship evolves and how they grow as characters. Is drama through action.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

My enjoyment of the SW film is probably much more limited than the average fan. I enjoy them as constructions of film, the way they bring the world to life, the direction and effects, I like seeing the world brought to life in a live-action context. I have less interest in spin-offs depicting the world because a lot of the fun for me is seeing it realized through filmmaking. And from a film perspective, part of the reason the prequels are less interesting to me is because the Jedi are more fun as a pseudo-myth with only a very few limited characters that can use the Force. 

Even though I already got called out in this thread for being a Dragon Ball fan, the comparison I would use is like if they made a spin-off starring a bunch of Super Saiyans. Super Saiyans are a fun element of the series, but in part because so few characters can become one. Less is more. 

Well said. One of the reasons I like the OT far more than the PT is the intimacy of the interactions and the economy of the visual storytelling. For the latter, it seems that Lucas would not have had it that way, if not for the budgetary and technical constraints of the time. So a large part of the appeal of SW for me is something Lucas did against his will.

• Like 1

Just now, Celedhring said:

Lightsaber battles are best used when they are a battle of the wills between two main characters, not some random brawl between nameless jedi/sith like often happened in the terrible prequels. I think lightsaber duels have been used well in the Disney movies. You have two big ones involving both Rey and Ren, which tell the tale of how their relationship evolves. Is drama through action.

I haven't seen the prequels. :/

• Astonished 1

Just now, Fake said:

Chinese OW will be $10m. IW opened with 20x that amount.

Even more hilarious situation in India. OW will be $0.2m. IW opened with nearly 100x that! :hahaha:

At this point Solo's dropoff in China isn't even that newsworthy because Solo is tanking in pretty much every other country. 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I don't need 100 Jedi fighting 100 Sith but when it was announced that Disney were making a sequel trilogy my ideal version would have been Luke with a small group (10 or less) of Jedi roaming around the galaxy keeping the peace and completely detatched from the New Republic unlike in the prequels where the Jedi were bound by what Palpatine The Senate wanted them to do. Heck I wouldn't have minded if the villain wasn't a Force User (someone like Thrawn). 

Now I like TFA and TLJ but I do think in an aim to recreate the magic of the Original Trilogy they needlessly discarded the idea of portraying a New Republic or a New Jedi Order onscreen instead of rehashing the exact same conflict people saw 30 years ago. 

That would be cool. That's also one of the (many) problems with the prequels. The Jedi are supposed to be mysterious and detached but they're really just Space Cops there. I think there is room to experiment but I feel like one of the reasons I was uninterested in the old EU is they tried to play so close to the prequels' depiction of the Jedi which doesn't do anything for me.

• Like 2

with an estimated 4-day figure of $114.5M, the overall holiday stretch is booming with an estimated $226.5M

Deadline is estimating $226.5M global opening which means Solo is opening to $112M overseas..

But I thought it was bombing everywhere overseas :ph34r: