Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

I’m still silently hoping Disney does a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy/series.  Maybe it’s fanservice, but I want wide shot of an army of Jedi duking it out with an army of Sith with a rainbow of lightsabers clashing against each other.

I’ve wanted to see an equivalent of a medieval wartime lightsaber battle my whole life.

Maybe Solo not doing as well as they hoped will nudge Disney in that direction. Also, D&D are the perfect team to spearhead a KOTR series, just saying.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 4

Catching up on this thread was not as fun as I hoped it would be.

Where are the posts mocking Solo?

All I see is maniacs having visions of DP2 doing under 260 (there is no way it's not going to do that).

12+18(+50%)+17(-5.5%)+14(-17.6%) = 61

165+61=226 cume

If POTC5 can add 1.2x it's 4-day MD ow including previews to it's cume then DP2 can add 1.3x it's 4-day MD 2nd weekend to it's cume on account of absence of preview-front-loading alone.

226+1.3*61=305+

Edited by A2k Raptor

2 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

12+18(+50%)+17(-5.5%)+14(-17.6%) = 61

165+61=226 cume

If POTC5 can add 1.2x it's 4-day MD ow (including previews) to it's cume then DP2 can add 1.3x it's 2nd weekend to it's cume on account of absence of preview-front-loading alone.

226+1.3*61=305+

Don't be reasonable!!

DP2 under Solo DOM, I am starting a club right now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Deadpool 2 is a R rated movie without 3D and without China to boost its overseas numbers. It's doing great for a sequel.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's going to be really profitable.  X-Force is probably a real possibility ( I'm pretty sure it'll get made, either by Fox or Fox/Marvel or whatever it is gonna be in the next years ). There's no need to be angry or sad about it.

Solo is another story. Less than 500 million worldwide might happen, but I still think 500 million worldwide is possible. Anyway, not good when movies like Justice League and even X-Men Apocalypse ( which I loved by the way ) ended up doing more. 

Infinity War could stop making money 2 weeks ago and the movie would still be considered a sucess. It has nothing to prove. 

500 Million worldwide for Solo would mean it's borderline if it breaks even or not. Almost all the trades are reporting a 250 Million plus budget, so whether Disney gets it's money back or not might depend on how big that plus was.

But, Jesus, can't believe we are talking about if a SW film will break even or not. I have been pretty skeptical about how Solo will perform at the box office for a long time, but I expected it would make at least a halfway decent profit for Disney.

And we are going to find out a lot more in the next couple of weeks about what went on during the filming of "Solo".  Be interesting to hear the various stories and try to figure out who is lying and who is telling the truth.

I really don't know why people think I'm being unrealistic about my DP2 prediction. It's been having similar holds to Alien Covenant which only managed a 2.05x. Couple that with the fact that a Rated R flick should be going up from estimates early in the day and yet all last weekend and even today it decreases from its estimates 

The movie isnt holding well. Does that mean it's numbers are bad? No. But let's not overlook the type of holds the movie is having 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

700 only ever mattered so much because of Black Panther. It feels very strange to have it under that considering IW absolutely feels like the bigger event to me. 

IW is the bigger event worldwide. Black Panther attracted people mainly in the US that normally woundt go to see a comic book movie or movies in general. For many (im guessing mostly black) americans, BP was something truly new and special, the same cant really be said about IW, since team-up movies are nothing new anymore.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I really don't know why people think I'm being unrealistic about my DP2 prediction. It's been having similar holds to Alien Covenant which only managed a 2.05x. Couple that with the fact that a Rated R flick should be going up from estimates early in the day and yet all last weekend and even today it decreases from its estimates 

The movie isnt holding well. Does that mean it's numbers are bad? No. But let's not overlook the type of holds the movie is having 

It's running ahead of A:C and it's not gonna drop 1,100 theatres next week like A:C did. I just think it's a little bit early to role out the whole doom and gloom bit.

What Sat bump from true Friday are we expecting?

TLJ was +7.2% (64/59.7)

RO was +10.0% (46.3/42.1)

TFA was +10.0% (68.3/62.1)

Feeling +20% at most for Solo

14 + 22.5 + 27 (+20%) + 24.6 (-9%) + 20 (-19%) = 108.1 4-day (88.1 3-day)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

You are srlsly the most pessimistic person ive seen in a long time. Yes, the drops are bad, but so were Homecomings. I remember vividly that people called sub 300M for that movie after the 2nd weekend drop. And then it recovered. Just like Deadpool 2 will because its a good movie with very good WOM and with Solo beeing a dud, it has 2 weeks now to get good holds before The Incredibles 2/Jurassic World onslaught.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You are srlsly the most pessimistic person ive seen in a long time. Yes, the drops are bad, but so were Homecomings. I remember vividly that people called sub 300M for that movie after the 2nd weekend drop. And then it recovered. Just like Deadpool 2 will because its a good movie with very good WOM and with Solo beeing a dud, it has 2 weeks now to get good holds before The Incredibles 2/Jurassic World onslaught.

Solo being a dud certainly didn't help it this weekend. And I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I'm just looking at its potential box office run and I don't see good things for it which is rather unfortunate because I agree it's a really good movie 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really. Means probably 16m and a 45% drop. That's on  the harsh side for memorial day holdover. 700 is for sure dead with that. 

Watch it be back on the menu once a crazy Saturday number comes in! 

Painful watch seeing a Star Wars move completely fail everywhere, even in it's biggest markets of the US and UK. I don't think the failure of Solo is down to TLJ though, i think it's mainly a combination of being a simply uninteresting concept for most, one of the worst marketing campaigns ever for a "big" film and being released only 5 months after the last Star wars. Hopefully Disney thinks twice about making prequels to characters we already know the fate of, or at least if they do, make one that fans have actually called for.

I'm hoping they scrap all the spin-offs now and concentration on original stories and actually include some of the things that make Star Wars cool, like f***in lightsabre battles. It's been 13 years since a decent lightsabre battle in a Star Wars film and nearly 20 years since a great one!

Edited by MonstersandRoy

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Solo being a dud certainly didn't help it this weekend. And I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I'm just looking at its potential box office run and I don't see good things for it which is rather unfortunate because I agree it's a really good movie 

Lets agree that we can all panic if the 3rd weekend drop is also bad. But Deadpool can easily revover from this weekends drop.

43 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I’m still silently hoping Disney does a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy/series.  Maybe it’s fanservice, but I want wide shot of an army of Jedi duking it out with an army of Sith with a rainbow of lightsabers clashing against each other.

I’ve wanted to see an equivalent of a medieval wartime lightsaber battle my whole life.

Maybe Solo not doing as well as they hoped will nudge Disney in that direction. Also, D&D are the perfect team to spearhead a KOTR series, just saying.

Meh. The Jedi are most interesting when they're in small doses. When everyone's a Force user with a lightsaber it's less special.

The way you describe a big war scene makes me think of this:

giphy.gif

But I'm not a "hardcore" Star Wars fan so what do I know.

Edited by Mekanos