Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Mango

You nailed it. Spin-offs feel like a filler and filler isn't a must-see. RO had a benefit of XMas spot and coming off on TFA heels (and ramping up Vader in promos) but that was one time when people were curious. Next filler (Solo) didn't fare well and fillers coming after it won't either. 

I agree 100%. That's why we need new original Star Wars movies.

Solo's budget is over $300M?! Jesus. This should be a lesson to all studios going forward to just stick with what you have and hope for the best (and if it flops, it flops) instead of reshooting most of an already expensive movie after it's close to done.

Come on.

New original Star Wars films will also get hatred from the old school fans of the OT who will never accept new stories.

I have no idea how Kennedy will do this, but making STar Wars films seems like an impossible task.

You want to please the old school fans, but you wanna do something fresh...how the fuck do you do this if the fandom is so stuck in the past?

You cannot tell me that a huge part of shy Solo is underwhelming is the whole "NOT MY HAN!" crap.

• Like 1

So, I wake up this morning, and find out the trades are finally no longer protecting the movie...admitting the production budget was $300M+ (and probably closer to $350M) and seeing the weekend numbers...the terms "flop" and "money loser" are gonna start filtering into their stories in a few weeks (if not a few hours)...

And least WiT will look a whole lot better to Disney after this...maybe this disaster will help them realize that relying on only pre-existing franchise tentpoles isn't the better path and you can fail big (or win big) with anything...so, they might as well try some new and exciting stuff instead of just remaking or spinning off live action nostalgia.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Read up on the Cars series, compare their ratings, BO with budget,... and ask yourself why they still get made from time to time (and their ~ spinoffs if you want to call them such)

The movies are only a % of what they make for certain franchises, others do not have the same possibilities.

It's also about being still 'there' in the minds of the potential merchandise customers and future plans like streaming services.

Budget % that went over for whatever reasons are not what I think is used to do calculations for future projects (BO will), analysis why it went over will be included in future projects, especially counting for projects not already in the making, but those will get some attention too

I like it. It's in my POV a refreshingly not dire story beside... a fun movie.

strange, the quotes you used were not about Solo being a success, they were ~ about the reasons the additional filming might have other costs than other genre-films with additional filming

He does not say it is an success (no one says that) it is about if it is really that a bad situation like in my POV too many here try to make it look like

Yes, it looks like not making its production budget back, but there are different reason why it is less of a minus than the usual calculation models let assume some ppl here, incl ignoring the tax rebates, merchandise see the Cars example above and so on.

The difference is, in most cases a movie needs to make the money out of BO, TV rights and HV. If it is a movie with only local story, it needs it per the local BO, if not....

With franchises there are other calculation models reasons and so on.

Using cars as an example is not right as it's merchandise died along with the movies. Last year, even with the release of cars 3, it was not in top 20, I think. Look at liscensing letter. It's merchandise is almost dead. I'm on mobile, otherwise would have linked it.

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wished I had "only" that in my bank account. :hahaha:

Solo A Star Wars Bomb

Childish Bombino

Alden Floppenreich

Don’t forget. Daenerys of the House of atrocious acting, the First of Her Name, The poison, Queen of bombing, the terminator line delivery, Queen of irrevencly , Khaleesi of  box office failures, Protector of bad plot twists, Lady eyebrow thespian of hollywood, Breaker of huge franchises and Mother of bad legs”.

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Come on.

New original Star Wars films will also get hatred from the old school fans of the OT who will never accept new stories.

I have no idea how Kennedy will do this, but making STar Wars films seems like an impossible task.

You want to please the old school fans, but you wanna do something fresh...how the fuck do you do this if the fandom is so stuck in the past?

You cannot tell me that a huge part of shy Solo is underwhelming is the whole "NOT MY HAN!" crap.

New original SW movies, if done right (means have appealing characters), will attract new audience, something that Disney Wars is trying while simultaneously alienating old fans due to bad treatment of old favorites and bland new characters. TFA attracted everyone due to perfect storm of nostalgia/SW is back and RO benefited but the shine fell off TLJ and Solo. IMO, the problem is exactly in that these movies neither satisfy old fans nor new ones, once the hype of the franchise revival died down.  

Original SW wouldn't piss off old fans cause there's no pre-existing character in danger of character assassination. Now, they will be pissed only if the movies are set in the particular era with the particular popular characters without using those characters (lets say KOTOR era w/o Revan). But that's why originality is the key. Avoid EU overlap if you don't want to bring in those favorites. It's a huge universe with as many timelines as you want to create.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Don’t forget. Daenerys of the House of atrocious acting, the First of Her Name, The poison, Queen of bombing, the terminator line delivery, Queen of irrevencly , Khaleesi of  box office failures, Protector of bad plot twists, Lady eyebrow thespian of hollywood, Breaker of huge franchises and Mother of bad legs”.

This, if a film cast her it means whoever in charge is dumb which obviously means it's a film not worth watching.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This, if a film cast her it means whoever in charge is dumb which obviously means it's a film not worth watching.

So true. She’s legit a terrrible actress. Imagine failing to launch a movie career with two huge franchises (terminator and Star Wars). Just LOL. 

2 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Only 460M for BP?

That number should rise given that BP did nearly 100m more in BO than what Deadline is counting. So final number should be north of 500m. 

Same with the IW number, it will be way higher than 600m

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Come on.

If by "new stories" you mean the abomination that was TLJ, then yes, I agree. 

Emilia Clarke had a new character and a secondary role....actually after all the hype on social media Donald Glover didn’t have any effect. Just saying. As for Alden I won’t even bother.

To be fair n1 could have saved this trainwreck..

Edited by XO21

41 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Using cars as an example is not right as it's merchandise died along with the movies. Last year, even with the release of cars 3, it was not in top 20, I think. Look at liscensing letter. It's merchandise is almost dead. I'm on mobile, otherwise would have linked it.

For what it is about it is in my POV.

It does have simple to access/find Wikipedia entries for ppl who actually do want to start to look into it. And a lot of literature links to read up to. For foreign language speakers it is even helpful to find out the usual terminology, so you can copy the terms out and add the franchise name into the search machine you want to know more about it.

I picked it also bcs it is neither SW nor HP/DCU/MCU (to not start a side discussion about who has the bigger one ;) again when using actually hotly discussed compaarisons), its about to get an idea how big the merchandise part can be, not about what is actual or not. Like we still use for adjusted discussions Gone with the Wind or whichever else movies get picked for e.g. differences between hard copy home viedeo then , in between and now.

Edited by terrestrial
typos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Emilia Clarke has haters?

You learn something new every day...

Every actor and every actress has haters.

Spoiler

Well, except for Ana de Armas. Nobody dislikes Ana de Armas :)

1 hour ago, Thomas Beck said:

Is it actually common to watch a movie more than once in the cinemas in the US?

Would be very rare experience for me personally, should be about 2-3 movies in total that I watched more than once there. Later, when they come out in other formats is a different issue of course.

I know fans who do re-watches a lot, I know females who re-watch 'their' actual movies (if one 'impacts') here in Germany too. Or if someone loves to discuss movies, and drags friends with (mostly hims).

Personally I rewatch movies especially if i think I didn't understand ll what was said as I usually watch films in the OV - and am interested in details for some reasons, or when a lot of ppl complain about translation mistakes. Sometimes  ppl even ask me if there was a difference . Or if I didn't get the chance for the OV, but later on I find a place and am still interested. And very seldom simply for the fun of it.