Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

That's great! But it would be a better experience for yourself and your kids if there were no spin-offs and there were a couple years between each main series film.

If this continues as Disney plans in 10 years your kids aren't going to think seeing a Star Wars movie with their dad is a special experience. They are going to think it's a routine normal blockbuster experience.

I want a wait between movies as a fan because I want Star Wars to be special. I want to anticipate the next movie. When they announce a new Star Wars movie, I want to talk about it with people like I did when TFA was first announced. And as more news comes out, let the anticipation build as it truly becomes an event.

No it wouldnt we loved Solo. We have loved all of them. You never know what is going to happen. So I really relish this bond I have with my kids. Maybe it is because I am in my 50s now, I dont know, but this is special to us and I dont think we are the only ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Franklin808 said:

No it wouldnt we loved Solo. We have loved all of them. You never know what is going to happen. So I really relish this bond I have with my kids. Maybe it is because I am in my 50s now, I dont know, but this is special to us and I dont think we are the only ones.

I like all the movies too. It's not about liking or enjoying them. My dad's more of a Trekkie but hi favorite SW movie is Rogue One. But if you want Star Wars to be common everyday franchise rather than a special experience well...I guess we want different things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

That's great! But it would be a better experience for yourself and your kids if there were no spin-offs and there were a couple years between each main series film.

If this continues as Disney plans in 10 years your kids aren't going to think seeing a Star Wars movie with their dad is a special experience. They are going to think it's a routine normal blockbuster experience.

I want a wait between movies as a fan because I want Star Wars to be special. I want to anticipate the next movie. When they announce a new Star Wars movie, I want to talk about it with people like I did when TFA was first announced. And as more news comes out, let the anticipation build as it truly becomes an event.

Exactly. Any true fan of any franchise should prefer a minimum of 2 year gaps between the movies. Otherwise you can't quite feel it.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Exactly. Any true fan of any franchise should prefer a minimum of 2 year gaps between the movies. Otherwise you can't quite feel it.

wasn't potter released every year for 7 films?

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Outside of Ant-Man 2, my most hyped Blockbuster of summer (even more than Infinity War) is Mission Impossible. And part of that hype comes from it being a few years since the last one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I like all the movies too. It's not about liking or enjoying them. My dad's more of a Trekkie but hi favorite SW movie is Rogue One. But if you want Star Wars to be common everyday franchise rather than a special experience well...I guess we want different things.

Its like telling us it would have been better had the Bulls with Michael Jordan had spaced out the championships to like 3 over like 15 years. Or telling patriots fans they would have been happier if the had space out the championships and had fewer of them.  To us a Star Wars movie, as long as quality remains high, are special events.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

They refuse any sort of change or add ons. I mean when Lucas added stuff to the prequels the fans went absolutely insane. Imagine that - the actual creator wasn’t even allowed to expand the universe that HE had created. In contrast everyone loved TFA - which was basically a remixed version of ANH. This further goes to show how simple minded the fan base is. The moment someone tries something new they rebel.

You really don't understand anything about star wars do you?

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No not all of them there were also 1.5-2 year breaks but anyway I didn't say you can't enjoy a franchise If there is a movie every year. I said that the enjoyment increases even more with bigger breaks.

I am sure you specifically know a lot about it although in your case it may have been tooo much.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Its like telling us it would have been better had the Bulls with Michael Jordan had spaced out the championships to like 3 over like 15 years. Or telling patriots fans they would have been happier if the had space out the championships and had fewer of them.  To us a Star Wars movie, as long as quality remains high, are special events.  

Well good for you. For me, they are becoming less special every year. And I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

8 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Even that is true. A team that wins one championship in their lifetimes is surely happier when they win than a team that has won a dozen.

It's a matter of quantity vs quality. I pick the latter.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No not all of them there were also 1.5-2 year breaks but anyway I didn't say you can't enjoy a franchise If there is a movie every year. I said that the enjoyment increases even more with bigger breaks.

I am sure you specifically know a lot about it although in your case it may have been tooo much.

Harry Potter was also based on a book series and they didn't have the luxury to wait too long since child actors grow up fast. But the books helped build the hype way ahead of time and kept that special magic feeling.

Probably why Fantastic Beasts so far has yet to resonate I think with most people like the original series did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Outside of Ant-Man 2, my most hyped Blockbuster of summer (even more than Infinity War) is Mission Impossible. And part of that hype comes from it being a few years since the last one.

100% with you on Fallout, it looks so fucking good :ohmygod:  I'd love it if it outgrossed Solo. It will WW, no question, but it would be nice if it did DOM too.

And while I know you're a Marvel fan, I don't know if you meant the Ant-Man part ironically or not (I actually am looking forward to it myself), but in case you didn't, then we are both in the same boat of actually anticipating a sequel to Ant-Man more than a Star Wars movie, anthology or not. That's tragic in terms of marketing, positioning and maybe even concept from Disney/Lucasfilm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Harry Potter was also based on a book series and they didn't have the luxury to wait too long since child actors grow up fast. But the books helped build the hype way ahead of time and kept that special magic feeling.

Probably why Fantastic Beasts so far has yet to resonate I think with most people like the original series did.

Yeah all of that is true although in the case of book adaptations there is also the counter-argument that you go in without feeling any "excitement" about where the plot will be going.

• Community Manager
Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

100% with you on Fallout, it looks so fucking good :ohmygod:  I'd love it if it outgrossed Solo. It will WW, no question, but it would be nice if it did DOM too.

And while I know you're a Marvel fan, I don't know if you meant the Ant-Man part ironically or not (I actually am looking forward to it myself), but in case you didn't, then we are both in the same boat of actually anticipating a sequel to Ant-Man more than a Star Wars movie, anthology or not. That's tragic in terms of marketing, positioning and maybe even concept from Disney/Lucasfilm.

I'm legit looking forward to Ant-Man 2. I love the first one, this one looks like lots of fun, and the way the trailer is showing how they are creatively using the shrinking and growing? Fuck it I'm all in.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Yeah all of that is true although in the case of book adaptations there is also the counter-argument that you go in without feeling any "excitement" about where the plot will be going.

The excitement is more about seeing it come to life than to figure out what's going to happen for those that read the books. :)

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

By the way as a Pats fan, I'd rather they win Superbowls my whole life even if they are more spaced out than the last Superbowl they win in my lifetime be in my twenties but all at once. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

and the first and last probably felt more special than the rest for the fans, at least their box office were special versus the rest of them.

• Like 2