Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Same. I thought it was a Rey and Finn story based on their screentime in TFA. TLJ turned it into a Kylo Ren story. 

yeah rian very evidently loves him. luckily audiences around the world don't and made it clear with their money. even in the aftermath of tfa there were news stories about how kylo merchandize wasn't selling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

He behaved like himself though. Poe had no character beyond grinning idiot in TFA. Ren behaved like himself, Rey saw herself in Ren, which is why she felt sympathy. Im not saying it was all great or anything, but it wasn't mischaracterisation.

Honestly, as much as I liked Poe in TFA I get that he was pretty 2D in that movie, and I think Poe's arc in TLJ had a lot of potential.  But they botched the landing.  Having Leia and Holdo just be 'I like him him' and act like everything was forgiven after Poe literally had just committed mutiny makes no sense.  When a character screws up that much, they need to earn respect back (both from the other characters and the audience) by showing that they've learned their lesson and redeeming themselves.  Poe never does either, yet Leia allows him to lead the rebellion.

One of the weirder choices for me is to not have Poe be the one who prevents Finn from sacrificing himself.  Its such a simple change, but it would have completed Poe's arc (prioritizing the survival of people over doing damage to the enemy) while at the same time having a touching moment between two actors/characters that have obvious chemistry, instead of two characters that have none whatsoever.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, water said:

ok like, agree to disagree lol. in december/january i would have spent hours arguing how they were very hurtfully mischaracterized. but i shouldn't have to explain why a teen girl being tortured and preyed on by an adult school shooter over a decade older than her, and then being portrayed as sympathetic to him is... not great. so now i'm just content in telling you: "in my opinion they were very hurtfully mischaracterized", and moving on with my life because at this point everything i've read about episode 9 points to it going back to the original characterizations, so i'd rather be excited for that than dwell on a movie that will be the odd one out of the trilogy anyway.

There is a difference between being not a good thing, and being unrealistic. Mischaracterised implies to me that it was unexpected, not that it was unpleasant.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Easier to rebound from Attack of the Clones that was #3 movie of it's released year and not in the top 10 of all time when it released than to rebound from The Last Jedi, biggest movie of the year / almost top 5 of all time.

Last Jedi is more something you wish to be close too than to rebound from.

Well I do think you want to rebounce from TLJ in LA and Asia, you want a 100% + increase in those markets. Europe, Japan and Australia's numbers are still great. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know being DOM heavy is always more important for turning a profit, but I thought if a movie doesn't at least match its budget DOM, then it needs to pick up some major slack OS right? Solo will likely fall a solid 50m or more from matching its budget DOM, and OS is in even worse shape. That's why I don't understand how it's going to be profitable?

Well yes, if those well over 300m budget talk are true, specially if some player has first dollar gross (pushing the actual budget over 350) like they probably do because it was probably non sense to talk about if a star wars movie turn a profit.... If it does just 500m WW that would be really hard at least in the Filmed entertainment division it would show up at a lost there.

17 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I actually dont care, SW isnt really that big a deal for me. Im simply interested in the numbers. The justifications im seeing here are very weak thats all. The notion that TLJ is responsible for the 'death' of SW is laughable. My opinions are based on historical data, most others seem to be based on personal opinions.

Coming from the guy that used an animated movie as an argument. And since we are talking numbers I would say 108M is pretty much dead. At least for a franchise of this magnitude. 

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Well yes, if those well over 300m budget talk are true, specially if some player has first dollar gross (pushing the actual budget over 350) like they probably do because it was probably non sense to talk about if a star wars movie turn a profit.... If it does just 500m WW that would be really hard at least in the Filmed entertainment division it would show up at a lost there.

What are you expecting Solo to make DOM out of curiosity? To me a 35m OD indicates about an 80m OW following typical opener patterns of this weekend. 2.4-2.6x multis are typical for openers this weekend as well, so I'd guess it's looking at 200 or so. I'm running on the reports about a 250m budget, if it's really over 300m then I think that would be catastrophic for it. 

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Coming from the guy that used an animated movie as an argument. And since we are talking numbers I would say 108M is pretty much dead. At least for a franchise of this magnitude. 

An animated movie, what like Shrek , Toy Story or Frozen?

I didnt seriously use it as an argument anyway, I simply pointed out that SW doesnt automatically mean super popular and ever increasing. The TV shows had been on the cusp of cancellation more than once each.

Edited by GirafficPark

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why would Episode 9 increase? There is no real hook right now outside of being Star Wars and Solo is diluting the brand. We know it’s not the real final Star Wars film as well 

Star Wars fans are pressed. Unless LF pulls a hat trick, the SW movies are at risk of becoming one tentpole franchise among many.

This discussion is all over the place about 100 topics right now . So to add to this surrealism I will say that ultron was NOT hated nor was it divisive or anything. It had decent to good reaction from audiences worldwide and that’s about it. It just felt short of the first film’s event status but it didn’t really create doubt over the MCU and neither did civil war while we are at it. MCU solo films continued to increase after AOU , while the hype for the next avengers film didn’t suffer at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, harrycaul said:
  50 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ok but it's still how those of us that track box office and the industry media measure things. Because no one is going to wait years just to find out if something ends up being profitable in the end and then flash the headlines "2011's Green Lantern actually profitable now!" in 2018. 

@MovieMan89

Only read as it is quoted:

you are way too generalizing.... again

I am waiting since literally decades again and again for movies' details to get accessible - with much luck as early as 1-2 years. There were times I had to search through imported used magazines to get my numbers and I still followed and analysed BO. Before the internet got accessible for private use, before windows pc/user software .... Nowadays it is so much more easy, much more early and so on.

One person does it means: no one = exaggerated / false (btw, guess how I got my hands on rather old used magazines,... via ppl like me, who send it to me e.g. from the US, who themselves did the same. For new ones I haf to drive to an airport or a capitol main train station - to find something worthwhile with luck)

And even magazines write years after e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean part 4 being then the most expensive movie... that was getting  known in 2014 beside the movie being released in 2011

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/07/22/fourth-pirates-of-the-caribbean-is-most-expensive-movie-ever-with-costs-of-410-million/#bee791f364fa

Although On Stranger Tides was released in 2011 its financial statements are still being released as they relate to prior periods. The final set was filed earlier this year and shows that between October 2009 and April 2013 the production costs came to a total of $410.6 million (£240.7 million).

Btw, the rules to get UK rebates and the % were then other ones like nowadays

If interested, e.g. Avengers 3's/  AIW / Avengers Infinity War financial statements got already (at least to a degree) laid open / filed for the ~ audit in progress as is the law there.

The budgets floating around ~ between 250m and 350m. After rebate might end at 250, what sounds ~ right for a possible agreed on budget.

Hint: actors getting more and more for the MCU - back to back filming = should get less in the sum, also probably causing 'discussions' based on differing numbers/costs (Downey probably still extra conditions I guess)

Edited by terrestrial

36 minutes ago, AJG said:

171 pages... 

and we haven't ranked the MCU once.

Marvel Cinematic Universe films:  

1. Iron Man  

2. The Incredible Hulk  

3. Iron Man 2 

4. Thor  

5. Captain America: The First Avenger 

6. The Avengers 

7. Iron Man 3 

8. Thor: The Dark World  

9.Captain America: Winter Soldier  

10. Guardians of the Galaxy 

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

12. Ant-Man   

13. Captain America: Civil War  

14. Doctor Strange  

15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  

16. Spider-Man: Homecoming

17. Thor: Ragnarok  

18. Black Panther 

19. Avengers: Infinity War   

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 5

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Anyway, its now 1 hour until the final showing at my local here in the UK. They have still sold a grand total of 4 tickets..

Champions League final is on right now and Liverpool is playing, so that probably plays some part.

Edited by nevermore
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why would Episode 9 increase? There is no real hook right now outside of being Star Wars and Solo is diluting the brand. We know it’s not the real final Star Wars film as well 

I have a joke response but it's a Solo spoiler. It's pretty much the only Solo spoiler so you know what I'm talking about

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

An animated movie, what like Shrek , Toy Story or Frozen?

I didnt seriously use it as an argument anyway, I simply pointed out that SW doesnt automatically mean super popular and ever increasing. The TV shows had been on the cusp of cancellation more than once each.

Yes because the core Star Wars audience was dying to see the new animated galactic adventure. No one wanted a computer generated movie. 

I figured you weren’t serious with that anyways. And you’re right Star Wars doesn’t equate to ever increasing. It’s the complete opposite at the moment - ever decreasing. No matter how you spin it a movie with Han Solo - arguably the most popular SW character ever should have not done the numbers that it did. The Star Wars brand is beyond damaged and it’s better to accept it and stop living in denial. Remember the DCEU fans and their refusal to see the light after BvS?  Is that what you want for yourself?