MikeQ

Tuesday Numbers (May 22): DP2 12.4 | IW 2.86 | BC 2.8

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I am starting to think Book Club might be that rare Shrek-like film that grosses as much or more during the four day Memorial Day weekend as it did during its opening three day weekend from the week before. It’s certainly headed for a terrific hold this weekend.

Awesome.

It's a great film that is deservedly pleasing its audience.

Edited by StevenG

25 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Awesome.

It's a great film that is deservedly pleasing its audience.

lol I just got a notification saying I was quoted in this :lol:

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

If Deadpool really does get to 250M by the end of Memorial Day weekend, I’d say 325M should happen if not more

I think I was mentioning that in the OW thread to the doom and gloomers...having not seen the film, but just the reactions from all the posters, I think Deadpool 2 is in the perfect spot to capitalize on its quality and place in the market and have a nice multiplier as the only great comedy around for a month...

And with Solo looking Star Wars-weak in presales for this weekend, it seems DP2 also made the great call of not moving up into AIW's wash, but staying back and instead being the "big competition" that might harm Solo...vs the other way around...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Deadpool 2 is in the perfect spot to capitalize on its quality and place in the market and have a nice multiplier as the only great comedy around for a month...

Book Club would dispute your claim about Deadpool bring the only great comedy around for a month. It certainly has WOM that is as good, if not better than, Deadpool’s WOM.

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why is the IW increase so small? Its Tuesday increase is usually a lot better.

Look at IW's Sunday-to-Monday drop. Its better than in the weeks before because Monday was some sort of holiday in Canada and as such, it was inflated, hence the smaller Tuesday increase.

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why is the IW increase so small? Its Tuesday increase is usually a lot better.

Inflated Monday. TA, IM3, AoU, CW, and GotG3 all dropped on that day, so IW increasing at all is actually quite solid.

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Look at IW's Sunday-to-Monday drop. Its better than in the weeks before because Monday was some sort of holiday in Canada and as such, it was inflated, hence the smaller Tuesday increase.

That makes sense, but look at some of the other films in the chart. Book Club dropped only 53% Monday and then increased over 47% on Tuesday. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-05-22&p=.htm

28 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That makes sense, but look at some of the other films in the chart. Book Club dropped only 53% Monday and then increased over 47% on Tuesday. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-05-22&p=.htm

And it will collapse on Wednesday - the demographic of Book Club has a pretty set pattern, you should be familiar with this by now as long as you have been around.

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

And it will collapse on Wednesday - the demographic of Book Club has a pretty set pattern, you should be familiar with this by now as long as you have been around.

What's up with the condescending remark? Avengers will probably also drop over 20% on Wednesday, as every movie does after Discount Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What's up with the condescending remark? Avengers will probably also drop over 20% on Wednesday, as every movie does after Discount Tuesday.

Not condescending, at least not my intent. Book Club will probably see a drop over 35 or even closer to 40%. The HUGE upswing for older adult aimed films on tuesdays regardless of the rest of the calendar (mother's day excluded for some reason) has been well documented, today's increase was actually lower than could have been expected based on play over the last 12 months or so, showing the effect of the holiday on Monday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Not condescending, at least not my intent. Book Club will probably see a drop over 35 or even closer to 40%. The HUGE upswing for older adult aimed films on tuesdays regardless of the rest of the calendar (mother's day excluded for some reason) has been well documented, today's increase was actually lower than could have been expected based on play over the last 12 months or so, showing the effect of the holiday on Monday.

Book Club is not dropping over 35% on Wednesday, not with its WOM of mouth. Look at the past couple of Wednesdays. Only a handful of films dropped that much or more and none of them have the WOM of BC, let alone its monopoly on older audiences. Could it drop 30%? Sure. Anything more than that is a stretch, though.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Book Club is not dropping over 35% on Wednesday, not with its WOM of mouth. Look at the past couple of Wednesdays. Only a handful of films dropped that much or more and none of them have the WOM of BC, let alone its monopoly on older audiences. Could it drop 30%? Sure. Anything more than that is a stretch, though.

The Monday/Tuesday percentages for Book Club were pretty crazy (in a good way). I would not be too surprised if it drops hard on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, Avengers' gross today is roughly identical to Titanic's original run gross before the re-release.

AIW: 601.4/1239.7/1841.1

Titanic: 600.8/1242.4/1843.2

Just a fun bit of trivia.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

Interestingly enough, Avengers' gross today is roughly identical to Titanic's original run gross before the re-release.

AIW: 601.4/1239.7/1841.1

Titanic: 600.8/1242.4/1843.2

Just a fun bit of trivia.

So all IW needs to hit #2 WW is a nice little rerelease, eh? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I'm a big fan of Fonda and Keaton, and I'm glad it's doing well for them, but I would NOT call BC a great (or even good) movie. Something's Gotta Give. Now that's a good movie aimed at that audience. 

I liked it much more than you did.  I'd call it a very good movie.

I'm on the fence with how hard things are going to drop.  On one hand, the wom is terrific for BC but on the other hand, Tuesday was really busy.  So I'll go with about a 28-30% drop for BC.