Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

On 6/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, Arlborn said:

I think they probably feel like they need something to really please their fans and this is the solution.

But why would a Kenobi movie be more fan-pleasing than a Solo movie (with good reviews)? Because McGregor would return? The Jedi/lightsaber/Force factor?

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But why would a Kenobi movie be more fan-pleasing than a Solo movie (with good reviews)? Because McGregor would return? The Jedi/lightsaber/Force factor?

I am not too sure, that’s just what I keep hearing in different places on the internet. I guess it being the original* actor helps since people seem to be very fond of Mcgregor in general.

Thats just what I think they’ll end up focusing on now.

• Thanks 1

^Yeah, McGregor being so widely accepted as Obi-Wan is key. They should also be able to do it on a much lower budget, make it more of a personal, character-driven film, so that it can turn a good profit even with just $500 million WW.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I am not too sure, that’s just what I keep hearing in different places on the internet. I guess it being the original* actor helps since people seem to be very fond of Mcgregor in general.

Thats just what I think they’ll end up focusing on now.

Yeah of all the various spin-off ideas that have been floated out there, Obi-Wan is the one that has probably garnered the most fan support outside of Rogue One.  I'm not wanting to see them go that way myself but of the ones that are known to be in development it's probably the smartest play.  When the disaffected camp of fans was starting to take shape a few years ago some of the earliest adopters were the prequelists who believe that the new blood at Lucasfilm harbors a certain disdain for those movies.  Bringing McGregor back would reach out to that group.  And the character is a jedi so they can use lightsaber combat in the marketing.  I think that part of the problem they had with marketing Solo to the general audience was that it was stripped of too many of the franchise's traditional hallmarks that the GA identifies with it, undercutting it's surface appeal.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, arlo said:

^Yeah, McGregor being so widely accepted as Obi-Wan is key. They should also be able to do it on a much lower budget, make it more of a personal, character-driven film, so that it can turn a good profit even with just $500 million WW.

Which was really the idea behind the "Star Wars Story" films to begin with, but got lost in the shuffle.

But McGregor alone is not enough. You need a strong script and the right director.

You need to get those choices right before filming begins; we have seen with Solo what happens when you make the wrong choices in those areas.

I really expect if they go ahead with the Obiwan film, they will go with a director with an established record of success with big budget films, and not risk a  hot shot young director coming off a small budget success. That just does not seem to be working with the SW Story films. Yes, Rogue made a lot of money but they had a lot of problem and added expneses which probably cut into the profits. And we all know what happened with Solo.

5 hours ago, Horner said:

Yeah of all the various spin-off ideas that have been floated out there, Obi-Wan is the one that has probably garnered the most fan support outside of Rogue One.  I'm not wanting to see them go that way myself but of the ones that are known to be in development it's probably the smartest play.  When the disaffected camp of fans was starting to take shape a few years ago some of the earliest adopters were the prequelists who believe that the new blood at Lucasfilm harbors a certain disdain for those movies.  Bringing McGregor back would reach out to that group.  And the character is a jedi so they can use lightsaber combat in the marketing.  I think that part of the problem they had with marketing Solo to the general audience was that it was stripped of too many of the franchise's traditional hallmarks that the GA identifies with it, undercutting it's surface appeal.

It possible to like McGregor as Obi Wan but still have a disdain for the prequels as a whole..the first two in particular.

And is disagree strongly that the main character in a SW film has got to be a Jedi. Problem with Solo was not that idea of a Solo movie was bad, but that the execution was lacking.Rogue One did not have A Jedi main character but did fine at the box office.

I am really opposed to proposing a certain formula as a key to success, it's all about the execution.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

It possible to like McGregor as Obi Wan but still have a disdain for the prequels as a whole..the first two in particular.

And is disagree strongly that the main character in a SW film has got to be a Jedi. Problem with Solo was not that idea of a Solo movie was bad, but that the execution was lacking.Rogue One did not have A Jedi main character but did fine at the box office.

I am really opposed to proposing a certain formula as a key to success, it's all about the execution.

Of course you can like McGregor as Obi-Wan and still have an otherwise low regard for the prequels.  The Disney era movies have leaned pretty heavily on OT era nostalgia though.  TFA did it to such an extent that there were some people who looked at that as a not so subtle repudiation of the particular part of the franchise they happen to like the most. 

And I didn't say anything about having to have a jedi as the main character in a SW movie.  I just think that maybe (spitballing here) that the GA sees Star Wars in very narrow terms.  It scratches a particular itch with them.  And once you take away enough of the elements that indicate that's what a movie will be doing (flashing around a lightsaber is one of those) then you better be replacing all of that with something compelling.  Solo didn't, at least not in it's marketing (so yeah it was half of the problem).  Rogue One still had enough of that old secret sauce showing up in the marketing; conflict between good guys and bad guys playing out on an epic scale, WW2 styled combat in space, Vader, and all of it bound together in sweeping orchestral pieces.  I think the core fans see the franchise as a bit more than that particular mix but I don't think LFL has succeeded in cultivating that same regard with the general audience yet.

Edited by Horner

I think the marketing of Solo had more to do with its failure than anything. Maybe the movie itself is the reason they couldn't do better marketing, but the audience reactions whenever I saw the trailer in theaters were completely muted. A strong trailer (with the necessary movie scenes to back it up) would've done so much to prevent it bombing. This is where I think bringing in Ron Howard may have been a mistake... if the trailer generated a lot of laughs like the movie was obviously meant to, I believe it would've gotten much better pre-release buzz. Imagine bringing Ron Howard onto the set of The Lego Movie after 90% of the movie was shot and removing all the humor. What would a trailer look like for that? Boring.

22 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Because people already accepted Ewan as Obi-Wan and have an attachment to him as the character whereas Alden as Solo is just... the opposite.

48 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I think the marketing of Solo had more to do with its failure than anything. Maybe the movie itself is the reason they couldn't do better marketing, but the audience reactions whenever I saw the trailer in theaters were completely muted. A strong trailer (with the necessary movie scenes to back it up) would've done so much to prevent it bombing. This is where I think bringing in Ron Howard may have been a mistake... if the trailer generated a lot of laughs like the movie was obviously meant to, I believe it would've gotten much better pre-release buzz. Imagine bringing Ron Howard onto the set of The Lego Movie after 90% of the movie was shot and removing all the humor. What would a trailer look like for that? Boring.

The trailer sold the movie as it was

1 hour ago, Horner said:

Of course you can like McGregor as Obi-Wan and still have an otherwise low regard for the prequels.  The Disney era movies have leaned pretty heavily on OT era nostalgia though.  TFA did it to such an extent that there were some people who looked at that as a not so subtle repudiation of the particular part of the franchise they happen to like the most. 

And I didn't say anything about having to have a jedi as the main character in a SW movie.  I just think that maybe (spitballing here) that the GA sees Star Wars in very narrow terms.  It scratches a particular itch with them.  And once you take away enough of the elements that indicate that's what a movie will be doing (flashing around a lightsaber is one of those) then you better be replacing all of that with something compelling.  Solo didn't, at least not in it's marketing (so yeah it was half of the problem).  Rogue One still had enough of that old secret sauce showing up in the marketing; conflict between good guys and bad guys playing out on an epic scale, WW2 styled combat in space, Vader, and all of it bound together in sweeping orchestral pieces.  I think the core fans see the franchise as a bit more than that particular mix but I don't think LFL has succeeded in cultivating that same regard with the general audience yet.

I think when it comes to being fussy and seeing SW in narrow terms the more militant fanboys are much worse then the General Audience.

Of course I have become very skeptical about fans discussing the GA; inevitable it becomes "Oh we are so much more intelligent then the GA".

That's a problem I have with fandom in general:a inability to see things from another point of view.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The trailer sold the movie as it was

True, but it's also true that some pretty bad films looked really good in the trailers because of skillful editing. Some editors in Hollywood probably make a very good living because they can make a POS movie look good in a trailer.

And, having seen Solo, and rating it only as "pretty good" they could have done much better trailers then they did.

Saw Solo. I was bored throughout.  Bland and uninspired. 

My rankings:

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Solo

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

The Last Jedi

Or in picture form:

tenor.gif?itemid=10998431

25 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Hasn't even broken 300M WW yet...I don't see Kennedy lasting until episode 9...

I think she'll resign rather than be fired. She had a good career...Why put up with all this crap? But don't take 'crap' the wrong way...I think criticizing her is totally justified. LF does not appear to be a tightly run ship. 

Obi-Wan works better because the character has remained relevant through all forms of Star Wars media particularly the films/tv since 1983. Obi-Wan was in the prequels which also meant because Lucasfilm in the 2000s were all about mining that era Obi-Wan remained a prominent character, There is a whole generation of Star Wars fans who grew up with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan added with the kids who grew up with The Clone Wars with Obi-Wan as a major lead.

The problem with Han Solo was that the character wasn't used that much in film/tv/video games especially in the 2000s so I don't think the character is actually that popular with the younger Star Wars fans. Plus being a Jedi holds an advantage in popularity I feel. An Obi-Wan film would funny enough tap into some nostalgia some kids had for growing up with the prequels in a weird way while older fans would still be open to Ewan McGregor because he's recognised as one of the best parts of those films.  

• Like 2