Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. That first act is rooooooough but it quickly picks up once they get on Paul Bettany's loveboat.

The characters work for the most part here, with good emotional beats, while the Rogue One cast felt like something out of a mediocre video game. The characters feel more lived in and real here (though I wasn't a fan of how quick the film was to kill female characters for manpain). I thought Han shooting Tobias was a great earned moment and ended the film on a strong note.

Also Lando didn't do shit in this movie.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Force Awakens

3. The Last Jedi

4. Star Wars

5. Solo

6. Rogue One

7. Return Of The Jedi

lol @ ranking prequel trilogy

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

hope

rogue one

sith

lastjedi

returnjedi

empire

solo

phantom

clones

force

don't agree with the middle section but glad to see someone else has some sense and knows the original is the best & force awakens is the worst.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Star wars would do well enough long term if they hadnt started out like TFA. They painted themselves into a very mediocre and dull corner with TFA. Sure TFA itself did huge money, but the returns since arent so stellar. Its like TFA was them peaking far too soon financially and from now on its downhill all the way. A more adventurous, and more planned out approach would have given the franchise a much longer lifespan, and ultimately more money.

They rehired Abrams because they paniced, and at the wrong time. He cant do conclusions, so EP9 will be an unsatisfying mess.

Are you saying that TLJ didn't do so well because of the way TFA set it up? Cause I'm pretty sure one of the biggest complaints about TLJ(not mine mind you, I really liked it) is that it feels disconnected from all that came before on TFA.

I'm sure they were very satisfied with the 2B dollars corner they painted themselves into with TFA. In fact, as I had said previously, when they saw where the new direction taken with TLJ was leading them to they decided to go back to that nice little corner TFA painted them with JJ Abrams.

I'm also not sure what any of this has to do with Solo's performance but there you go.

Edited by Arlborn

19 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Are you saying that TLJ didn't do so well because of the way TFA set it up? Cause I'm pretty sure one of the biggest complaints about TLJ(not mine mind you, I really liked it) is that it feels disconnected from all that came before on TFA.

I'm sure they were very satisfied with the 2B dollars corner they painted themselves into with TFA. In fact, as I had said previously, when they saw where the new direction taken with TLJ was leading them to they decided to go back to that nice little corner TFA painted them with JJ Abrams.

I'm also not sure what any of this has to do with Solo's performance but there you go.

Im saying TFA was so full of garbage plot points that it set up any follow up badly. TLJ wasnt a good movie, but it would have taken something exceptional to deal with all the crap TFA left to deal with.

As I said, $2B is great, but I feel like almost any old junk would have taken $1.5B and by doing what they did they already cost themselves the difference in the follow ups, maybe double the difference by the end of EP9. A better plan and opening movie might have yielded as much or more money by the end of EP9 and left SW with a better reputation, and more chance to do successful spin-offs.

Going back to JJ is a panic response and at this point their decision making is questionable anyway.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

don't agree with the middle section but glad to see someone else has some sense and knows the original is the best & force awakens is the worst.

there are dozens of us Tree

watched it again today. When Thandie Newton shows up I realised I had completely forgotten she was in the film after I saw it the first time.

speaking of which - she really is flat out TERRIBLE in the movie. She's the one character who didn't feel like existed in that world. Also - very weird how Beckett(?) does not mention her or seem to mourn her in the SLIGHTEST. which is quite strange. immediately after the train heist, he's angry... but not because his girlfriends dead but because Voss is now going to kill him. No one seemed to notice she'd gone. Or the other dude with the 4 legs for that matter.

The weak bits stand out more. I do think it's too long, pacing is a bit off. But, still a lot of fun. Emilia Clarke and her character are great. Alden is top notch and he really stood out even more this time. Conversely, Donald Glover felt more forced and impersonation.

the whole rebel thing bugged me a bit less but still wish they had just been marauders.

• Like 1

This thread is not nearly as busy as I thought a Star Wars film would be but hey it does reflect the numbers.

Anyways I enjoyed this film quite a bit! Emilia Clarke was the surprise standout for me even though her turn in the end was completely predictable. And if anything if they were gonna do a sequel to this film it did a good job of getting me both excited for future adventures with Han and Chewie and also intrigued with how Qi'ra works with Maul (but Maul himself not really that intrigued by since I know his story already though it was a nice acknowledgement to Filoni and fans of The Clone Wars and Rebels). 

And yeah with TLJ much of the complaints that it's basically the anti-Empire Strikes Back or anti-ROTJ is because of certain set ups by TFA. Now that didn't mean Rian Johnson had to write the Canto Bight subplot or the Poe/Holdo subplot the way they ended up being but I do give him some leeway with how he handled Rey, Luke and Kylo Ren with the attempt to break out of the mold set by TFA.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 4:58 AM, Mekanos said:

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. That first act is rooooooough but it quickly picks up once they get on Paul Bettany's loveboat.

The characters work for the most part here, with good emotional beats, while the Rogue One cast felt like something out of a mediocre video game. The characters feel more lived in and real here (though I wasn't a fan of how quick the film was to kill female characters for manpain). I thought Han shooting Tobias was a great earned moment and ended the film on a strong note.

Also Lando didn't do shit in this movie.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Force Awakens

3. The Last Jedi

4. Star Wars

5. Solo

6. Rogue One

7. Return Of The Jedi

lol @ ranking prequel trilogy

Agreed. Rogue One was arguably a better movie overall (though its arguable), but Solo did a *much* better job of bringing the characters to life. The leader of the Marauders, whatever her name was, felt more fleshed out than anyone in Rogue One except Krennic or maybe K-2SO, and that includes Jyn and Cassian.

• Like 1

People with a better memory of this film than me: there’s a part in the 3rd episode of the new season of Arrested Development where George Michael

Spoiler

records himself putting on a Vader mask and doing some kind of flip with a sword, Ron Howard (the narrator) then says that the footage inspired a fight move in a Han Solo origin film.

Did they actually do it? Because that would be one of the most intricate jokes ever.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

People with a better memory of this film than me: there’s a part in the 3rd episode of the new season of Arrested Development where George Michael

Hide contents

records himself putting on a Vader mask and doing some kind of flip with a sword, Ron Howard (the narrator) then says that the footage inspired a fight move in a Han Solo origin film.

Did they actually do it? Because that would be one of the most intricate jokes ever.

I remember seeing a credit for Arrested Development in the credits. Don't watch the show so don't know what it is for.

11 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

I remember seeing a credit for Arrested Development in the credits. Don't watch the show so don't know what it is for.

I think you are thinking of AIW. 

Just now, captainwondyful said:

I think you are thinking of AIW. 

Yes! You're right. I thought I was going crazy because I thought it was a couple weeks ago that I saw the credit.

• Like 1

the movie was well made and well acted. But in the end I just can't get over the feeling that I don't need to see a young Han and his past brought to life. Some things are better left to the imagination. I just can't buy Alden growing up into Harrison Ford. He is good on his own terms but not as a young Ford. Alden should have been cast as an original character

if only the same cast and same crew could have put their efforts towards a more interesting storyline

also, I went with three other people and all we could talk about after was Darth Maul appearing in the end. It's like the rest of the movie didn't exist