baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

Are Overboard, Breaking In, and Life of the Party officially considered hits? Their holds for the past two weekends have been quite solid. It's clear that word of mouth has been stronger that many (me included) expected...

13 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Are Overboard, Breaking In, and Life of the Party officially considered hits? Their holds for the past two weekends have been quite solid. It's clear that word of mouth has been stronger that many (me included) expected...

Hell no.  

19 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Overboard and Breaking In are almost certainly considered hits given their budgets, grosses and expectations. I don't think too many people expected them to perform well and both of them seemed to have exceeded expectations. They are not blockbusters by any means, though.

If Life of the Party can reach $50M, which seems like it will, I suppose it could be considered a minor hit, albeit a disappointing one. With its star power comes higher expectations and $50M is still low for a Melissa McCarthy movie. It's not a flop by any means.

Edited by LonePirate

25 minutes ago, StevenG said:

A movie like those would probably need 80mil+ to be considered a hit even with their presumably low budgets.

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Overboard and Breaking In are almost certainly considered hits given their budgets, grosses and expectations. I don't think too many people expected them to perform well and both of them seemed to have exceeded expectations. They are not blockbusters by any means, though.

If Life of the Party can reach $50M, which seems like it will, I suppose it could be considered a minor hit, albeit a disappointing one. With its star power comes higher expectations and $50M is still low for a Melissa McCarthy movie. It's not a flop by any means.

Overboard was actually pretty fun. It wasn't great or amazing, don't get me wrong, but not a bad way to spend a couple hours.

29 minutes ago, StevenG said:

They are considered moderate successes although Life of the Party is a bit of an under-performer for a Melissa Mcarthy comedy.