baumer

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Grade it  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 7/29/2018 at 3:26 AM, La Binoche said:

This movie was all so grey and dour and darkly lit.

Did David Yates direct this movie? ;)

Joke aside it never bothered me that it was more "grey" and dour than previous films. Then again I don't mind grey films in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 7:57 PM, captainwondyful said:

Cause they look the same:

mission-impossible-fallout-trailer-break

mission-impossible-fallout-trailer-break

And the wife did appear in those dreams which was confusing to me.  

They look quite similar. It's realistic for a person to fall for the same kind of looks, but it's hardly intentional from the filmmakers. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 7:58 PM, baumer said:

These guys take care of their skin, eat the right foods, get the right amount of rest and use the right beauty and anti-ageing products.  I can guarantee you he is not using Oil of Olay.    

He's probably had some work done to his face. 

On 8/2/2018 at 3:56 AM, Goffe said:

Some say who cares about the story, it’s all about the stunts.

I thought the plot was well-constructed, although bordering on overcomplicated like most of these films. But it's all told in a fun and unpretentious way. 

Still preferred Rogue Nation though for being a more stylish and somewhat more old-fashioned action film almost in the tradition of pure cinema, whereas Fallout is more akin to Jason Bourne; very intense and brutal. The car chase in Paris was outstanding, not only for its immersive qualities, but it was visually coherent and easy to follow. Unlike many action scenes in lesser films it was NOT overcut. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBigYawn said:

Possible.  Very possible.  But I also know that with the proper diet, it takes years off your look.  

I prefered Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation to an extent. That one feels like an overlong remix of those two with some MI 3 (Monaghan) sprinkled on top re-using protagonists/antagonists/plot lines to pad up a narrative that seems to run in circle despite trying hard to fill up the screen with momentum and action extravaganza. "Why do you run, Ethan?"

I think the franchise has reached its ceiling in terms of "ZOMG Craziest Stunt ever!" in between tunnels of bad exposition and double-crossing. The only way Cruise goes crazier is halo jumping from space after crashing a space shuttle into a satellite.

Question: That shot at 2:23 wasn't in the movie at all, was it?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I prefered Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation to an extent. That one feels like an overlong remix of those two with some MI 3 (Monaghan) sprinkled on top re-using protagonists/antagonists/plot lines to pad up a narrative that seems to run in circle despite trying hard to fill up the screen with momentum and action extravaganza. "Why do you run, Ethan?"

I think the franchise has reached its ceiling in terms of "ZOMG Craziest Stunt ever!" in between tunnels of bad exposition and double-crossing. The only way Cruise goes crazier is halo jumping from space after crashing a space shuttle into a satellite.

Question: That shot at 2:23 wasn't in the movie at all, was it?

Cut out.

At some point when Cruise dips his helicopter below into low territory where Cavill's helicopter can't see what's down below (just prior to Cruise attempting to ram them), this is where it happens. McQuarrie decided to cut it. 

• Knock It Off 1

Everything was perfect until the final act. Ethan goes on a hunt in such an over the top, dangerous way that he had much more chances of getting himself and Walker killed than to get his hands on that detonator. I think the sequence could have been more effective if it showed Hunt truly desperate in face of such an impossible task with such a devastating result if he failed.

This doesn't ruin the movie though, it's still excellent and even better than Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol. As expected the stunts are breathtaking, and the cast is amazing (I vote Yes for Vanessa Kirby as Black Canary in the DC Universe).

Put it on par with Rogue Nation (maybe just a bit below) for me

Positives

- Cruise and Co outdid themselves on the action set pieces once again. Bathroom fight scene was brutal and the final helicopter was one of the best ever. 

- Ferguson was bad-ass once again and locked in as the female face of the franchise alongside Cruise. I liked that they closed out the story line with the wife. 

- Enjoyed Vanessa Kirby's character and hope she makes a return in the next one somehow.

- Beautiful locations once again. 

- Classic Tom Cruise running sequence.

Negatives

- Overall plot and stakes were the same and pretty generic terrorist/spy stuff. Lots of predictable moments especially scenes where it looks like things are going south for Ethan. You just expect he has trick up his sleeve or a mask at this point. 

- Twist with Cavill twist was obvious. His character started off interesting but just turned into a generic henchman for the main villain by the end. 

- Main villain was boring and in no way intimidating. He didn't really do anything. He got his ass whooped at the end and they diffused the bomb as expected. Performance wasn't that good either.

- Soundtrack was overbearing at times.

Overall it's great and one of my fav movies of the year so far but maybe a bit over-hyped by critics. 8.5/10 (A)

Mission: Impossible – Fallout might be more appropriately subtitled WIPEOUT. After the film ended, I left utterly exhausted. One of the most intense films I’ve seen in the theater, constantly topping itself over and over and over again. Serving as a referendum on the tropes of the franchise, it constantly knows how to use them to its best advantage. For a series that prides itself on giving next-level action, the stuntwork here is legitimately incredible, again knowing just how to top itself. McQuarrie’s script is strong and his direction is greater, working in complete tandem with Cruise to make the sequences sing. Mission: Impossible – Fallout is breathtaking. It’s a work of blockbuster filmmaking that’s hard to really talk about because how overwhelming it is, but in a very good sense. It’s a film that knows it shouldn’t slow down the pace just to keep the audience up to Cruise’s running speed. Pure popcorn perfection. A+

• Like 1

I thought it was a lil bit dissapointing after all the praise, only because I think 4 and 5 are still better and more complete movies than Fallout.

It's not that the non-action stuff is bad, but they felt a bit been there done that 100 times before, and the plot was overcomplicated for no reason to the point it makes you feel the runtime every time the action stops, especially in the second half. The other thing that I didn't like was the ex-wife on the climax, it felt shoehorned and never landed for me, it would feel exactly the same if she was some random doctor Ethan never met before. And I believe this side plot took a lot of screentime out of Rebecca Ferguson who sadly has very little to do compared to the last movie.

But overall it was a really good action movie. Cruise and Cavill were both amazing and the action is next level stuff. There's no reason to single out any sequence, pretty much every action beat in this movie took my breath away. In a way it was a marvel to watch but I wished all the plot-character parts were either more inspired or at least not as overstuffed.

• Like 3

The hype got me first go-around, but this is still easily the best of the franchise and one of the best blockbusters in years. The action sequences flow beautifully, Cruise gives his best performance of the franchise, and McQuarrie directs it all with a delightful fervor that matches Cruise’s own insanity. Cavill steals the show with a performance that only reveals its nuance on rewatch, and the IMAX cinematography is some of the most jaw-dropping ever caught with the camera. The score uses a bit too much Zimmer’s temp music to be truly effective, but nothing beats hearing the theme blare. At some points, the dialogue scenes disappointingly cut the tension, but there’s always an awesome action scene right around the corner. Mission: Impossible – Fallout takes the franchise to new heights, thanks to essentially perfecting everything that came from it previously. It never stops topping itself and that’s something more blockbusters should keep in mind. A remarkable spy movie and a great film in general. A

On 8/5/2018 at 8:56 AM, TheBigYawn said:

They look quite similar. It's realistic for a person to fall for the same kind of looks, but it's hardly intentional from the filmmakers. 

Yeah, Reggie Bush dated somebody who was actually cast as a Kim K lookalike  and married some other woman who strongly resembles her, too. Rod Stewart's wives legit look like mother/sister/daughter-some people really do have a type.  Rebecca Ferguson is a good actress but having a similar facial structure to Michelle Monaghan probably didn't hurt her cause in being cast. 

On 8/5/2018 at 8:58 AM, TheBigYawn said:

He appeared at an awards show one year, I think the BAFTAs, only the doctors know for sure, but Twitter and the papers there were calling him out about his face looking melty. Male stars get work done too, not just facial things, but a lot of hair transplants, too, it just isn't scrutinized as much as it is with famous women. 

I appreciated that they didn't really bother to pretend that Walker being a bad guy was surprising to the audience.  Though I was kind of expecting Wes Bentley to turn out to be an Apostle, I mean, he's not exactly an A-lister but they could have easily gotten some complete rando as Julia's second husband instead. Not complaining, just an observation.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1