That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Justice League died for this?

Justice League died because WB didn't fire Snyder after BvS received rancid reviews and dropped 70% due to bad word of mouth. They should have ate some losses by pushing the film back and completely re-configuring it with a real director and screenwriter. Cavil's facial hair in no way ruined Justice League.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

A movie hitting a franchise high...isn't good. Sure, that makes sense.

If we ignore a couple of decades of inflation...

1 Mission: Impossible Par. $379,570,500 3,012 $95,294,000 3,012 5/22/96
2 Mission: Impossible II Par. $370,473,000 3,669 $99,485,300 3,653 5/24/00
3 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Par. $246,468,600 3,555 $15,136,500 425 12/16/11
4 Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Par. $219,012,100 3,988 $62,384,400 3,956 7/31/15
5 Mission: Impossible III Par. $189,688,000 4,059 $67,569,500 4,054 5/5/06
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Joaquin Phoenix has become the best actor working since PSH passed. Isaac was following him closely in 2013-15 but these past few years there's no contest. These streaks never last as long as we want, so in a couple of years someone else will probably take his place, but as the best actor of the decade he's secure I think. (Actress I guess is Amy Adams?)

It is a shame neither of them won an Oscar.

• Like 1

TTG OD seems low considering the high preview numbers, not that it really matters because it’s going to profitable no matter what, there is a small chance it could claim the number 2 spot from Mamma Mia! 

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Justice League died because WB didn't fire Snyder after BvS received rancid reviews and dropped 70% due to bad word of mouth. They should have ate some losses by pushing the film back and completely re-configuring it with a real director and screenwriter. Cavil's facial hair in no way ruined Justice League.

issa joke.

4 hours ago, Alli said:

The Equalizer opened with $1.45 million in Thursday previews and a $35m debut weekend back in September of 2014

EQ2 3.1M Thursday and 36M weekend

So even tho the previews doubled, the opening weekend remained the same

yeah. this is following Equalizer.  it will do about the same OW as RN

Hopefully Fallout gets to $70M.

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

While the MI series has declined, staying relevant after 22 years (!) is still an accomplishment. They have kept the budget under control (MI5 same reported cost as MI2) and grown overseas - especially in Asia.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TTG OD seems low considering the high preview numbers, not that it really matters because it’s going to profitable no matter what, there is a small chance it could claim the number 2 spot from Mamma Mia! 

It's DC so it's going to be more front loaded than usual animation.  I think Lego Batman was the same.   LEGO had a 40+ multi  (like Zootopia) while LEGO Batman was 24

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

there's no spinning it. these are not good numbers.

the reviews on letterboxd are glowing, but i guess the franchise truly has a ceiling it can't pass.

Franchise ceiling and Cruise's as well. His movies won't break out unless he does diverse roles in multiple genres. Cruise keeps playing Cruise in most of movies which are action/sci-fi. It have a feeing not bad but yeah ok.

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

A movie hitting a franchise high...isn't good. Sure, that makes sense.

A franchise high that's taken 18 years to surpass the previous high, not accounting for inflation. It's doing good, but despite all the glowing reviews and hype, it can't seem to move the needle that much farther.

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

1 Mission: Impossible Par. $379,570,500 3,012 $95,294,000 3,012 5/22/96
2 Mission: Impossible II Par. $370,473,000 3,669 $99,485,300 3,653 5/24/00
3 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Par. $246,468,600 3,555 $15,136,500 425 12/16/11
4 Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Par. $219,012,100 3,988 $62,384,400 3,956 7/31/15
5 Mission: Impossible III Par. $189,688,000 4,059 $67,569,500 4,054 5/5/06

9510885.gif

Edited by CoolEric258

4 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

Franchise ceiling and Cruise's as well. His movies won't break out unless he does diverse roles in multiple genres. Cruise keeps playing Cruise in most of movies which are action/sci-fi. It have a feeing not bad but yeah ok.

action is for the young, but he's too old to appeal to young people. his fanbase is old. he needs to play in movies for that fanbase. mature movies.

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

action is for the young. his fanbase is old. he needs to play in movies for that fanbase. mature movies.

The movie is still going to $200/700m+  or about the same as both of Rock's last two combined or $300m more than Fury Road. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

Leonardo has the best film resume: The Revenant, Titanic, Catch Me if You Can, Inception,  The Departed .......the list goes on and on. 

Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington have the most memorable acting roles. People will always remember lines from: Forrest Gump, Malcolm X, Training day,  Castaway etc. 

Tom Cruise does not have the best roles and his filmography leaves alot to be desired.  He's a better actor than his resume suggests. 

Will Smith has fun films but i feel like people love him more then his movies, he's such a likeable screen presence. Which is why he can sell comedies, action and dramas. 

Daniel Day-Lewis is an actor's actor but he's not beloved by the masses. However, his films will  probably stand the test of time too.  

Those are the top 6 from the last 30 years.

You do realize that people my age (2 years younger than Cruise) & older consider Tom to have memorable acting roles & we remember lines from his movies.  "I feel the need...the need for speed", "Show me the money", "I want the truth", "Oh Louis, Louis...still whining".  He has also worked with the greats - Paul Newman, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Duvall, etc. along with top directors.  At this point I think he makes what he likes - action movies & he is great at it.  I thought he was great in Magnolia & would like to see more of that - he was brilliant as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder cursing everyone out.  I mean there is a reason they copied the escalator scene from Rain Man in The Hangover - Iconic & that is what Tom is.

• Like 1