CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

How much money Venom lost to tepid reviews ?

The character seems very popular, maybe 90m OW was in the cards with 80-ish RT ?

I wonder ...

:thinking:

RT effect has largely diminishes over the year,  multiple examples across the board, venom come in much higher than initial tracking, suggest that even with higher RT score, the movie will not fared much better.

Perhaps if justice league released now, the opening number will not be that low......

@MCKillswitch123 The Nun smashed IT's previous horror OW record here by a different of 43.000 tickets sold. It was not even a competition. It was the 3rd biggest OW of the year only behind Avengers and Incredibles. It is also the biggest horror movie by far here. So there you have it for box office PT news.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

2 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

I wonder if Sony's other Marvel movies will also be successes, if they will actually not renew the deal with Disney once the current contract is up. I don't think that's going to happen and it would be a horrendously stupid move, but this is Sony we're talking about.

I think Sony should focus on making a decent Venom sequel. They're not going be able to reach the amount of success if they do Silver and Black or Kraven. Maybe if they do a Spider-Woman movie which is a co-pro with Marvel then it could work. 

I'll be curious how Bohemian Rhapsody because I think over $40m OW is possible.

Edited by Jonwo

8 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I don't see how Sony got Venom all wrong but the new spider man man is getting great reactions.

Yeah the new Spiderman game is the real Spiderman..No Iron boys allowed

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 The Nun smashed IT's previous horror OW record here by a different of 43.000 tickets sold. It was not even a competition. It was the 3rd biggest OW of the year only behind Avengers and Incredibles. It is also the biggest horror movie by far here. So there you have it for box office PT news.

The power of James Gawd. Even the shitty Conjuring spin-offs become Avengers-sized hits. In Portugal, a country that just a few years ago wasn't even that much into horror. Madness.

But wait, it actually beat Deadpool, Jurassic World and Fifty Shades? That's impressive as all fuck.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I’ve been waiting all day to see Venom, and my dad still isn’t home from work. We have to get going soon ffs. My one day off is going to get fucked over 🤬

Im sorry, but i think that is like one of the best examples of first-world-problems :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I don't see how Sony got Venom all wrong but the new spider man man is getting great reactions.

Different Sony division and they're working with Insomniac Games and for Marvel/Disney who own the rights

Marvel Entertainment approached Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE)[when?] wanting them to publish a Marvel game and to treat the game like a first party SIE title.[20] Sony discussed with Insomniac Games which Marvel property they wished to adapt, and both agreed on Spider-Man.[21] The game was the first licensed game developed by Insomniac Games after 22 years of developing original properties, such as Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance. Bryan Intihar, the producer of Sunset Overdrive and former community manager of Insomniac Games, served as the lead creative director, with Ryan Smith serving as game director. The game uses a modified version of the game engine first used in Sunset Overdrive.[22] The game features the largest production team for an Insomniac game.[23] The game was announced during Sony's E3 2016 press conference on June 13.[24] It was the first in a series of games made by Insomniac and Sony and marked the start of Marvel Games' new strategy to work with the "best game companies" who are passionate about their characters.[25]

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I’ve been waiting all day to see Venom, and my dad still isn’t home from work. We have to get going soon ffs. My one day off is going to get fucked over 🤬

Take your Dad to see ASIB. That’s the real event of the weekend 

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Take your Dad to see ASIB. That’s the real event of the weekend 

He came home too late for that one lol. We’re getting dinner beforehand, and this is a nonreserved theater that has each movie on a single screen. If we did ASIB, we’d risk shitty seats

Edited by WrathOfHan

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's a sign for you not to go :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

So there's obviously interest for this whole Venom thing. Sony should be more concerned though with making a great sequel before trying to get a whole "shared universe" going. Did they not learn anything from TASM2??

Seriously, put out 1 or 2 more GOOD Venom movies, and in them introduce your characters you can do spin-offs with. Make a series, not a shared universe. 

Anyways, gonna see Venom in about 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So there's obviously interest for this whole Venom thing. Sony should be more concerned though with making a great sequel before trying to get a whole "shared universe" going. Did they not learn anything from TASM2??

Seriously, put out 1 or 2 more GOOD Venom movies, and in them introduce your characters you can do spin-offs with. Make a series, not a shared universe. 

That's the thing, if Sony foolishly decide to do Venom 2 and keep everything the same, it'll be TASM2 all over again. Spider-Verse to me makes sense but not something like Kraven or Morbius.