sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Wikipedia has Outlaw King's budget at 130M :o 

So, how are movies like this possibly financially feasible? 

Not sure if the model for content paid over 1 million a minute for on low fee monthly stream is feasible. If it is just a fraction/flagship of your content that bring massive viewers but your day to day on you are filling it .... ?

A family can easily spend an Netflix yearly payment (that they often share to someone else anyway) on a movie like Star Wars alone with the theaters/rent it or pay for tv or netflix to rewatch it/toys model.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Wikipedia has Outlaw King's budget at 130M :o 

So, how are movies like this possibly financially feasible? 

It is Netflix, what surprises you about the budget? It has obviously nothing to do with a theoretical box office run (that won't happen).

The Crown cost $130M (for one or two seasons).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is Netflix, what surprises you about the budget? It has obviously nothing to do with a theoretical box office run (that won't happen).

The Crown cost $130M (for one or two seasons).

Morgan said $100m for the first two seasons.  Same as House of Cards

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/crown-not-expensive-show-ever-made-creator-says-as-peter-morgan-matt-smith-claire-foy-talk

So, about $5m per episode and 20 hours of viewing.   A much better deal than $130m for The Outlaw King or that $90m for that Ayers/Smith thing.

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure if the model for content paid over 1 million a minute for on low fee monthly stream is feasible. If it is just a fraction/flagship of your content that bring massive viewers but your day to day on you are filling it .... ?

A family can easily spend an Netflix yearly payment (that they often share to someone else anyway) on a movie like Star Wars alone with the theaters/rent it or pay for tv or netflix to rewatch it/toys model.

Then there are people like me who have Netflix and don't use it for a few months even while I add to my every growing unwatched list.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

would that make it the most expensive netflix movie? bright was $100mil i think. i guess until The Irishman which cost $500 mil or whatever the fuck.

The Michael Bay one was meant to cost something silly. I wanna say 150m; something around that, anyway.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So, about $5m per episode and 20 hours of viewing.   A much better deal than $130m for The Outlaw King or that $90m for that Ayers/Smith thing.

Again, that is irrelevant. Netflix's goal isn't to get the smallest budget/minute ratio.

People talking about Outlaw King or Bright presumably contributes to people getting (or keeping) a Netflix subscription, which is what Netflix care about.

Edited by MrGlass2

i feel like netflix are siphoning out their non-originals. especially since every studio wants to get in on the streaming service game. which is annoying i guess. i'd be down for the major studios to have their own streaming services as long as they're not coy with their catalogue. give me every WB movie you possibly can thru history on a WB service and maybe i'd be interested but i know they won't. like i bet disney are gonna disney vault shit even on their streaming fuck that.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Again, that is irrelevant. Netflix's goal isn't to get the smallest budget/minute ratio.

People talking about Outlaw King presumably contributes to people getting (or keeping) a Netflix subscription, which is what Netflix care about.

The only buzz I've heard about Outlaw King are it's dull and Pine goes full frontal.  There's far more chatter about The Crown and with a series each new season extends that talk.

In terms of biggest budget though I wonder what they paid WB for Jungle Book Origins (or whatever it's called)

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Nice to see Bohemian Rhapsody kicking ass. I'll be interested to see how the demos shake out; it's obviously going to play mostly to adults, but a surprisingly high number of my students have been buzzing about it for the last couple weeks, so I could see a little youth appeal there too.

Not surprising to see The Nutcracker falter as badly as it did. It never seemed like Disney really had their hearts in their promotion of the film, and it's performing accordingly.

Undeperformances by Beautiful Boy and Suspiria in their limited expansions aren't surprising amid the relatively muted reception for the former and the extremely divisive nature of the latter.

I wouldn't say it's playing mostly to adults. 

For example, Bohemian Rhapsody was a hit in the 70s after its original release, a 90s hit after Mercury's death, a 00s hit with massive digital sales on iTunes and a 10s hit on Spotify. 

So obviously Queen is a multigenerational phenomenon. I'm pretty sure a lot of teens know every word on at least 10 of their biggest hits and all of them at least recognize 3 of them. 

This happens on a global scale only with Michael Jackson (and maybe it used to happen with the Beatles for decades, though I'm sure they still have that footprint on English-speaking countries)

• Like 2

I watched Argo a few days ago on Netflix. Loved it

I don't have the patience for series anymore. I don't understand how they say we live in peak tv. I tried watching big little lies and it was like desperate housewives,  a soap opera. no thx.

So Halloween should end with a bit less than 170.  Really good to see an iconic slasher series strike gold at the box office.

ASIB is going to hit 200.  Terrific movie and good to see it being rewarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

I watched Argo a few days ago on Netflix. Loved it

I don't have the patience for series anymore. I don't understand how they say we live in peak tv. I tried watching big little lies and it was like desperate housewives,  a soap opera. no thx.

"peak tv" just means like, we've reached maximum tv. it's a quantitative term not a qualitative term. there's so much shit out there. the "golden age of television" critics go on about ended around when Breaking Bad/mad men ended. stuff is coming along that's copying the beats of all those golden age shows but none are as good.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

"peak tv" just means like, we've reached maximum tv. it's a quantitative term not a qualitative term. there's so much shit out there. the "golden age of television" critics go on about ended around when Breaking Bad/mad men ended. stuff is coming along that's copying the beats of all those golden age shows but none are as good.

Saul tho

• Like 2