YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Widows' audience was over 50% Caucasian according deadline by the way so I guess it just didn't connect with black audiences.

Yup that is a really good call out. You would want to see the African American audience over 30% share total. 

4 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

This. It's the same scanerio on this forum with every Illumination film.

To be fair Illumination only has made two good films (DM1 and Sing, have yet to see Grinch). The rest are either mediocre to garbage. 

That said, I don’t believe the kids who enjoy are suffering as every generation is nostalgic to something no matter how bad it is (again I don’t get why some of my friends are so fond of Shark Tale). Besides families, kids and a good amount of the GA like them, and their approach works far better than other studios as evident through box office so they’re aren’t talentless. However if their films were better, they could do so much more.

22 hours ago, Giesi said:

As a book purist, I guess you can criticize many decisions, but to me it is still one of the most entertaining. The climax on the graveyard still gives me goosebumps, Ralph Fiennes is just that good.

There are some questionable editing and directorial choices, but I suppose most audience members don't care or even notice. The second task is completely unnecessary as well, but overall I think it's a good and compelling movie. I rewatched it recently and put on Order of the Phoenix afterwards. I found the latter to be far less engaging in comparison (and the editing is even worse). The plot in Goblet is pretty great, which cannot be said for Order. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair Illumination only has made two good films (DM1 and Sing, have yet to see Grinch). The rest are either mediocre to garbage. 

That said, I don’t believe the kids who enjoy are suffering as every generation is nostalgic to something no matter how bad it is (again I don’t get why some of my friends are so fond of Shark Tale). Besides families, kids and a good amount of the GA like them, and their approach works far better than other studios as evident through box office so they’re aren’t talentless. However if their films were better, they could do so much more.

That's the thing though - it's all a matter of opinion. I know a lot of families who loved the other Illumination films like Pets, Sing, DM films etc. It's all a matter of opinion, which is what makes movies great. 

• Like 1