YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

21.5 would be nearly a 30% bump for FB2 from true Friday. FB1 was +25.5% followed by ~30% drop on Sunday.

Despite the strong Sat bump, 63+ looks tough imo - 

15.4 (-28%)

= 62.6 (2.7-2.9x gives 169-181 dom)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Me too. 

The first watch in theatre was good but a bit underwhelming at end. Plus i was so pissed off with them not having this in the film.

81759.gif

But in second, third, fourth and few more watches, I fell in love with it. Tom Holland is hand's down best Spider Man. DOT.

I stopped seeing it as a superhero film but a teenager with some powers trying to meet his responsibilities. And of course that car scene, that's always great. But the scene I love most is this one.

Such a right opinion:)...

C'mon, BOT, high school Spidey is not intended to be a cosmic alien bashing movie with $300M in special effects...for what Spidey is, this movie was awesome!

And for those saying there was nothing memorable here...the Keaton/Holland scene in the car...the Keaton/Holland scene in the building above...the Iron Man/Spidey scene after the ferry...the Captain American cameos...this Spidey movie has more memorable (yet also awesome) scenes than I can remember in a Spidey film...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This opening doesn't give me trust they can pull off 3 more movies. One more, sure, but 3 more?! 

Watch Rowling shove even more forced Harry Potter connections in the next one. I wouldn't put it past her to even throw in one of the main trio somehow. After all, I'm sure Rupert Grint is available.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

IMO, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald may reach $175mn. $200mn is out of reach after this opening and word of mouth.

If we look at Jurassic World, it had a 3.14X multiple from weekend to full run. The sequel had weaker critical and audience reception, *I hated it*, had a little over 2.8X from a lower opening than the original.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them had a 3.18X multiple, pretty good legs.

I have same feelings for Crimes of Grindelwald as Fallen Kingdom in regards of boxoffice. It will most likely pull 2.8-2.85X, for over $175mn full run IMO.

I'm looking at JL's multi of 2.44x as my "expected" for this movie...it seems it's not gonna draw in non-fans (and neither did JL), and like JL, it won't be a Christmas week survivor at these numbers (and where I expect holds)...

So, with this opening, somewhere a touch over $150M DOM is my thought for where this realistically ends up...probably pessimistic based on the series...but I think realistic based on the opening date, coming competition, and seeming identical word of mouth from fans, foes, and the in between from this movie...

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Grindelwald confirmed to me what Harry Potter the Cursed Child made me suspect: J.K. Rowling has now crossed into George Lucas prequel era territory.

Funny I was just about to ask the same question 

I'm getting The Amazing Spider Man 2 vibes, after seeing Fantastic Beasts 2.  

Sony should have made TASM 3, at least. TASM 2 still managed to make 202 million domestic. Warner will have a sub 185 million Fantastic Beasts flick. Not good if they want 3 more movies.

The same thing happened to The Amazing Spider Man. There were talks about TASM 3 and even TASM 4. They all died after TASM 2. 

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

they should split the third one into part1 and part2 :sparta:

I laughed but even more funny is - to me - that Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2 remain the only example where splitting a story in two parts was a good idea. 1 Film would have just been a hell of a mess for the storyline of the last book and with 2 films it worked out very well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm getting The Amazing Spider Man 2 vibes, after seeing Fantastic Beasts 2.  

Sony should have made TASM 3, at least. TASM 2 still managed to make 202 million domestic. Warner will have a sub 185 million Fantastic Beasts flick. Not good if they want 3 more movies.

The same thing happened to The Amazing Spider Man. There were talks about TASM 3 and even TASM 4. They all died after TASM 2. 

A $65M opening would even make a sub-$150M total possible tbh. This thing is gonna have no staying power in the weeks ahead and will be almost completely gone by Christmas.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

A $65M opening would even make a sub-$150M total possible tbh. This thing is gonna have no staying power in the weeks ahead and will be almost completely gone by Christmas.

It is lucky that on the December 14 weekend nothing strong opens so it should have a strong hold in there before WB, Paramount and Disney unleash their tentpole releases on December 21.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It is lucky that on the December 14 weekend nothing strong opens so it should have a strong hold in there before WB, Paramount and Disney unleash their tentpole releases on December 21.

Yeah, but it's still got three openers, one of which will be in well over 3,000 theaters (Spider-Man) and another that's a fellow WB release (The Mule). Theaters will start cleaning house before doing a total purge the following week.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, but it's still got three openers, one of which will be in well over 3,000 theaters (Spider-Man) and another that's a fellow WB release (The Mule). Theaters will start cleaning house before doing a total purge the following week.

At worst Beasts will be 6th that weekend. Theaters will dump Bohemian Rhapsody, Widows, Instant Family, Green Book, and Robin Hood before Beasts.