YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

I did this in the Just the Numbers thread, but since this will generate more traffic and likes here:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald:

Current Gross: $62,200,000

A Star is Born (WB's #1 movie): $185,840,907 and counting ($123,640,907 remaining)

Double Century Mark: $200,000,000 ($137,800,000 remaining)

Fantastic Beasts: $234,037,575 ($171,837,575 remaining)

The Grinch

Current Gross: $126,544,280

Double Century Mark: $200,000,000 ($73,455,720 remaining)

The Grinch (2000): $260,044,825 ($133,500,545 remaining)

Despicable Me 3 (top 5 Illumination): $264,624,300 ($138,080,020 remaining)

Home Alone (biggest Christmas movie): $285,761,243 ($159,216,963 remaining)

Bohemian Rhapsody

Current Gross: $127,885,859

Straight Outta Compton (biggest music biopic): $161,197,785 ($33,311,926 remaining)

The Greatest Showman (Fox's last musical): $174,340,174 ($46,454,315 remaining)

Double Century Mark: $200,000,000 ($72,114,141 remaining)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The third option isn’t great either though because they will still likely damage their relationship with Rowling, who seems bent on this being a five part story. Rowling has always been stubborn when it comes to her vision, and I’m guessing she’s not going to want to budge on how she thinks the story should be told. So they’re kinda in a lose-lose situation now, unless they just find a way to make these films for much cheaper.

It'd be difficult to make them cheaper with Rowling and Heyman on hefty salaries and backends. Same with the cast, Redmayne, Depp and Law were likely paid very well. 

I hope for the sake of Wizarding World franchise that Rowling and Heyman are able to work with the studio to make the necessary changes. 

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Just get rid of the Fantastic Beasts name and focus on the third movie being called Dumbledore VS Grindewald.

Then, get done with it. With a possible 155/160 million domestic final number, there's no way WB can make 3 more movies. There's a chance the next one goes sub 100 million domestic.

Then, just wait 5/6 years and make a movie about the Cursed Child. That one could be big with the characters that everyone knows. 

I don't expect Cursed Child to happen until 2030 at the earliest. They sort need a bit of a gap once FB is done and also so the original cast can look age appropriate 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It feels like SNL has been having trouble booking hosts this season, or at least timely ones. Their opener was Adam Driver but BlacKkKlansman was on the way out of theaters by then and he had nothing else to promote. Last week they had Liev Schrieber, which felt like a really random choice even for them. I guess all of the obvious choices have been too busy.

maybe people feel like they don't need the grief. i feel like i only ever read about SNL when they're messing up these days.

Pull a plug on FB main characters or at least some of them and develop new set. Does anyone really care about Newt and others? I mean, I suppose they are likable but they are what Narnia kids were to Potter kids - no passionate fandom, generally liked but not obsessively so. Biggest franchises have at least 1, 2 characters that fans obsess about. HP, LOTR had them, Hobbit, FB didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i think vice will do similar business to Big Short, which isn't great when it's got twice the budget. i haven't seen the movie obviously but idk how the hell that happens. they spend it on meals to fatten up bale or something?

The trailer showed an explosion, so that’s bound to increase the budget.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Vice is apparently an attack on Cheney so that should turn off right wing audiences but I can't see left wing audiences wanting to sit through a likely 2.5 hour movie about him either. It will bomb 

If the movie's an attack on Cheney than right wing audience has never been the target audience and therefore flop or success is entirely on left wing audience since the movie's made for them. It would be like if a flop of a female driven movie was blamed on sexist men who were never target audience to begin with but floppage was due to women and woke men staying home or watching something else. happens quite a lot that wrong audience is blamed for failure. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

If the movie's an attack on Cheney than right wing audience has never been the target audience and therefore flop or success is entirely on left wing audience since the movie's made for them. It would be like if a flop of a female driven movie was blamed on sexist men who were never target audience to begin with but floppage was due to women and woke men staying home or watching something else. happens quite a lot that wrong audience is blame for failure. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I’m optimistic about Vice’s box office and think it can challenge 100M domestically. Critics are saying it’s even better than The Big Short, and January is empty.

Annapurna is barely staying afloat and you believe that they can shepherd Vice to 100mil domestic. Good luck with that one.