YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

51 minutes ago, Felandria said:

1. Where is this lunacy coming from, regarding Spider-Man Homecoming?

it was great.

2. I really enjoyed CoG, saw it at noon at Disney Springs, it has one crucial element all previous films lacked, the element of surprise.

even the first Beasts, you knew what was coming, and how the movie would end, this one, I did not see most of that coming at all.

BTW, when I asked how Beasts was doing today, they said it was doing considerably better than yesterday.

Here on BOT people hated it...indeed many expected to drop like a rock instead apart from the second weekend it was super leggy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Homecoming is the most forgettable out of any Spider-Man movie.  It's just...there.  Nothing about it is particularly interesting.

I have no idea where the critical praise for that film come from, it's the least memorable Spider-man film ever.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

I'll just report some Saturday numbers from Victoria compared to last night, see if it measures up:

Fantastic Beasts IMAX: 741 tickets 

- 114.4% true Friday (19.2M)

Fantastic Beasts Regular: 816 tickets

- 129.5% true Friday ($21.76M) 

Instant Family: 119 tickets

- 143% Friday (6.45M)

Thinking the Beasts # will be somewhere in between... like 21M give or take. Could be very wrong, but who knows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'll just report some Saturday numbers from Victoria compared to last night, see if it measures up:

Fantastic Beasts IMAX: 741 tickets 

- 114.4% true Friday (19.2M)

Fantastic Beasts Regular: 816 tickets

- 129.5% true Friday ($21.76M) 

Instant Family: 119 tickets

- 143% Friday (6.45M)

Thinking the Beasts # will be somewhere in between... like 21M give or take. Could be very wrong, but who knows. 

21m would be a 26.5% bump. FB1 jumped 25.5% and it's possible FB2 puts in a similar jump after a slower start cause we have seen some over-performing Sats off late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XO21 said:

Here on BOT people hated it...indeed many expected to drop like a rock instead apart from the second weekend it was super leggy.

Did they? That’s not how I remember it on here. I also really liked the film. 

Comfortably the best Spidey movie since Spider-Man 2. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

Homecoming has the worst action scenes out of all the MCU movies by far. Its also visually incredibly bland.

Despite this, it still has entertainment value. As a highschool comedy, it works more often then not and Michael Keaton is great. Still, out of all the MCU movies post-Age of Ultron, it is the most forgettable imo.

I was super high on Homecoming when I first saw it but the movie really goes worse in repeat viewings. Apart from Tom Holland and Michael Keaton’s performances, it’s the most forgettable Spider-Man film, there’s nothing else really there to wow me. It’s still a enjoyable film though but it pales to most Spider-Man movies (even Venom is better imo) except ASM2.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I love The Dark Knight Trilogy but Batman v Superman is the greatest comic book film. Zack Snyder made a film that managed to be entertaining, thought provoking, faithful to the vast source material and also delve deep into the meaning of those characters. He made the impossible once again. BVS is right up there along with the greatest Hollywood classics like Citizen Kane and Casablanca, and will be the most influential film of the 21st century. That means it's not yet given the recognition it deserves and comments like this are still met with mockery. But the day will come that BVS will be seen as the masterpiece that it is. I just hope people appreciate Zack Snyder as the brilliant genius that he is before it's too late. But considering how Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock died without getting an Academy Award for Best Director goes to show how shitty we are.

P.S.: I predicted a $63 million opening weekend for Crimes Of Grindelwald two months ago and people here reacted with mockery and disdain. It's now inside the range of what the trades are predicting today after the Friday numbers.

Ok, you can think whatever you want about BVS and Snyder, but "faithful to the source material"? Since when does Doomsday look like an ugly troll for LOTR, since when does Batman bulldoze and violently murder thugs indiscriminately like the fucking Punisher (apart from the Burton movies - and yeah, I know he's killed plenty in the comics too, but the general rule is very widely known that he doesn't), since when does Superman act like he shouldn't even bother and ask himself if his existence is any good (which actually was one of the more interesting aspects of BVS, but it wasn't anywhere near focused enough and Cavill's consistently constipated face didn't really help), since when does Lex Luthor act like an eccentric crazeballs that doesn't have any idea of what's he talking about but pretends he does (all of his dialogue in the movie felt empty as fuck), since when is Jimmy Olsen treated as a jobber who would matter so little for the story that he'd die in the 1st 20 minutes and since when do superheroes become besties when they learn that their mothers have the same name AFTER THEY TRIED TO KILL EACH OTHER? Yeah, these characters mostly look the way they're supposed to, there's references to old school stories like Dark Knight Returns and Death Of Superman, and being faithful to the source material or not should always be secondary to a narrative being good on its own right (if you can be, great, but if you have to make changes, so be it). But don't go about saying BVS is all that faithful of a movie to its source material, cause it kinda isn't, mate. It's superficially faithful and has fan service, but it's not like the comics came to life (apart from the Wayne parents' murder scene, which was amazingly well done).

Not that not being faithful is the share of my issues with BVS - I mean, The Shining was very unfaithful to the source material either and it's one of the greatest horror movies ever made; and very little of that actually adds to the core issues: that the film was a boring and unfocused product of a broken, battered script with way too many subplots that jumped in the way of each other and consistently cannibalized the interest away from one another while halting the pace to a snail's movement, a main conflict made up of some of the most hypocritical arguments that you can think of, and very little that could actually emotionally invest you, apart from making up pretensiously cynical dialogue about the meaning of being Superman and how Batman is sad that someone he despised wants to save their adoptive mother who just happens to have the same name as his mother, because if Superman's mom was called anything else but Martha, Batman would've just killed him right there, I guess - I'm just pointing out that you're kinda wrong.

For the Homecoming debate, I already chimed in but will do so again: the movie works because of the cast - Michael Keaton is the spark that really brings it all home (pun intended), Holland is great too, and the supporting cast is good - and because of the script, which is generally a funny script. As a low stakes comedy riffing on Spider-Man tropes, Homecoming works pretty well. As a superhero blockbuster, it is shockingly disappointing, bland and/or forgettable in a lot of areas. Probably because it's not even trying to be a big, massive movie as far as stakes go, so it's not as bad as it would have been otherwise and why I'm more forgiving of it than I might be of other similar films, but it doesn't change that whenever the movie has to step up to big setpiece moments, it usually fails to impress, leaving it to the smaller moments to really making an impact. Still better than anything besides SM1 and 2. Again, without having seen Venom.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I'm fully expecting Fantastic Beasts 2 to completely fall off a cliff after this weekend after seeing it last night. It's completely incomprehensible for anyone who isn't well-versed or knee-deep invested in Harry Potter lore (and maybe even for people who are). Won't be surprised if it's pulling sub-$10M weekend grosses by post-Thanksgiving in two weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$20,887,284 Saturday for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald on 3926 reported locations. The final number including unreported will be $21.5mn Approx. Total now $47.25mn Approx.

Great 29.5% jump over pure Friday, better than the first film's 25.49%.

If it drops 29.5% from Saturday on Sunday, like Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, we will have $15.2mn Sunday, $62.5mn Weekend.

Yesterday was an extremely busy day at my theater with most movies selling out so I imagine increases were great for everything.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$20,887,284 Saturday for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald on 3926 reported locations. The final number including unreported will be $21.5mn Approx. Total now $47.25mn Approx.

do you mind if i ask where you get those reported numbers from?