Eric the Fall Guy

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

holy shit that was amazing. The first one is the kind of movie that went from amazing to masterpiece after enough rewatches, but because it is so perfect I didn't had very high expectations for the sequel. Especially after the trailer beats were fixating on the billion spidermen, the excessive runtime and the fact its a part1.

Turns out I was stupid. The movie is so visually bold, so thematically ambitious but at the same has an entire hour to devote to just Miles and Gwen character development. We might have to wait for Beyond to fully assess the thematic and character stuff, but I guess I can say the visuals are simply unbelievable. From the colors, the shadows, the framing of every shot and how it flows to the next, it's just insane.

If anything this movie put into prespective the entire "spiderverse aesthetic" that has already influenced many animation movies since 2018. I really like Mitchells and Puss in Boots 2, but the "aesthetic" feels in hindsight like a pretty costume they wear and little else. Across the Spiderverse looks at the borderline expressionistic final act of the first one and says we can dig deeper.

I canot believe the did it. again.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

So I just have one of the most wildest in all sense of the word wild three days off of my entire life and while I’m enduring one of the worst hangovers of my entire life I’m happy to report that Across the Spider-Verse is next to No Way Home my favorite Spider-Man film of all time. 

Brilliant. Saw with a friend that isn’t an actual superhero nerd and he loved too. It’s art, what he kept saying to me. And I couldn’t agree it more. Like what time to be alive loving superhero films.

• Like 2

Sometimes all this IP based storytelling can be a little tiring and exhausting, especially when the results are middling and it’s all the audience comes out to see.

I was on an absolute high walking out of this. These Spider-Verse films are a breath of fresh air. Like the first couple of Raimi’s you can feel the passion, the honesty and artistic integrity in every frame. There’s a wild energy of “We can do absolutely anything so lets do it”. 

The careful dance of humour, drama, romance, meta elements and action. It never loses sight of the beating heart at the centre of it and sets out to interrogate something deeper about the character of Spider-Man. 

• Like 5