sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

1 minute ago, Felandria said:

It seems pretty certain the main reason Alita was moved was because Dark Phoenix is a mess and Fox wanted to keep that Valentines Day slot.

They killed two birds with one stone.

I'd say it's the other way around. Main goal was to get Alita outta there, and in the process it gives them more time to work on Phoenix

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

That would mean that ITSV had a higher! Preview share than f*cking Incredibles 2.

26 for I2 and 28% for ITSV.

It could be b/c it included the previous weekend sneaks...we still haven't heard how much they were or where they got "booked."

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

a similarity between both of this weeks new releases is that i'm seeing a lot of people who think lord/miller directed spider-verse and a lot of people who think PJ directed mortal engines.

Its kinda like how many people think Tim Burton directed A Nightmare Before Christmas.

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

a similarity between both of this weeks new releases is that i'm seeing a lot of people who think lord/miller directed spider-verse and a lot of people who think PJ directed mortal engines.

Well, I dunnno about Spidey but ME ?

Come on, 100% made by the same people who made LOTR, Kong, Hobbit, same team of writers, only one VFX house, Weta Digital.

100% made in Noo Ziland in PJ Studios.

And everything is kinda owned by PJ himself or was created by him, for all intent and purposes, the director probably brought him coffee in the morning.

Edited by The Futurist

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Why would Apple would be more likely to sell the Spider Man rights back to disney more than Sony ?

A Tweet has revealed that there’s a clause in a contract relating to the Spider-Man IP which says if Sony were to be sold, the rights would revert back to Marvel. However, then there’s the matter of production and distribution rights, which are entirely separate things. We could end up in a situation where the production rights to Spidey end up back at Marvel, but they still have to put out any solo movies under the ‘Apple Movies’ banner.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The advertising campaigns for both movies have tried to do nothing to dispel that belief. Both focus more on Lord/Miller and PJ's names. At NYCC, PJ even introduced the footage as "Here's 20 minutes from our upcoming movie" and in some theaters I hear that PJ does a short introduction before the ME trailer plays. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I just checked IMDB. Does anyone know why Lord got a screenplay credit but Miller didn't? I thought they were a writing team.

maybe miller's not a spider-man fan idk. found an article from like two years ago that said only lord was writing it. guess he just wasn't involved w/ the script.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I just checked IMDB. Does anyone know why Lord got a screenplay credit but Miller didn't? I thought they were a writing team.

Joel Cohen wrote Cheaper by the Dozen and Garfield without his brother. :sparta: 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe miller's not a spider-man fan idk. found an article from like two years ago that said only lord was writing it. guess he just wasn't involved w/ the script.

Huh. Fair enough, I guess. I've just never seen them listed separately -- then again, it's not like I'm exhaustively checking their credits regularly.

Full Cast & Crew

Directed by 

Bob Persichetti  
Peter Ramsey  
Rodney Rothman  

Writing Credits  

Phil Lord ... (screenplay by)

Brian Michael Bendis ... (Miles Morales created by) &
Sara Pichelli ... (Miles Morales created by)

Steve Ditko ... (Spider-Man created by)

David Hine ... (comic characters created by)
Stan Lee ... (Spider-Man created by)
Rodney Rothman ... (screenplay by)
Fabrice Sapolsky ... (comic characters created by)

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

A Tweet has revealed that there’s a clause in a contract relating to the Spider-Man IP which says if Sony were to be sold, the rights would revert back to Marvel

Thanks, that make the studio harder to sales I imagine, has the studio worth more if it is not sold.

Reading the more recent 1999 updated agreement I am not sure that this 97 clause was kept intact too:

23.  ASSIGNMENT

23.a.  SPE’s Right to Assign.  Subject to Section 23.b hereof, SPE shall be free to assign or license any or all of its rights hereunder, and/or to delegate any or all of its duties, obligations and liabilities, at any time and from time to time, to any person or entity, and upon such assignment, SPE shall be released and discharged of and from the delegated duties, obligations and liabilities if such assignment and/or delegation is to: (i) a person or entity into which SPE merges or is consolidated or (ii) a person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of SPE's business and assets and which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iii) a financially responsible entity which is controlled by, under common control with, or controls SPE which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iv) a “Major Studio” (i.e., and expressly defined as limited to: Warner Bros., Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, or Dreamworks) or United States television network, which assumes such obligations in writing.  Any purported assignment by SPE in violation of this Section 23 shall be void ab initio.

23.b.  LimitationsSPE may not assign this Agreement in its entirety except to (i) a person or entity into which SPE merges or is consolidated, or (ii) a person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of SPE's business and assets and which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iii) a person or entity which is controlled by, under common control with, or controls SPE, or (iv) a Major Studio which assumes such obligations in writing.  SPE may not assign its right to produce any Production to, or enter into a co-production agreement with, any entity except (i) any of the entities described in Section 23.b(i) - (iv) hereof, or (ii) in connection a transaction which is, in substance, a financing transaction and pursuant to which SPE initially controls all United States distribution rights with respect to the applicable Production and either controls or has the right to obtain (e.g., through the exercise of one or more options) such United States distribution rights for the entire term of copyright.  SPE may not assign its rights with respect to the ownership and control of the LP under Section 11 hereof except to any of the persons or entities described in Section 23.b(i), (ii) or (iii) hereof.  Upon any assignment or delegation permitted under Section 23.b(i) - (iv) above, SPE shall be released and discharged of and from the delegated duties, obligations and liabilities. 

Seem like under the 1999 deal SPE could have selling the Spider Man rights to a company they acquire or merge with, a company that buy SPE or an other studio.

SPE here being: Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.

From Deadline

Annapurna has Barry Jenkins’ If Beale Street Could Talk at four NY and LA sites. Pic’s Friday to date including last night’s previews is up to $62K, and growing.

By up to date, I'm assuming this is not a projection, and this should go up further. Hopefully it joins Favourite and garners a $100K PTA this weekend.

• Like 2