sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

36 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’s also an older skewing animated movie moreso than Ralph 2, Grinch or even Lego Batman. It may be closer to Incredibles 2 in terms of frontloadedness.

Besides December is all about legs so the OW may be deflated in exchange. With a Ferdinand/Sing (not the best comps I know) like multiple with a $25M OW gives it $193M DOM

Yeh not the best comparisons. 

Your two paragraphs contradict each other. First one you said it’ll be frontloaded then you said it’s all about legs and compared it to Sing. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh not the best comparisons. 

Your two paragraphs contradict each other. First one you said it’ll be frontloaded then you said it’s all about legs and compared it to Sing. 

Let me rephrase, I do expect some frontloadedness OW due to the brand of Spider-Man and reports that it’s skewing older, but it’s legs will even out due to more families coming out over the holidays thanks to there being more kids out.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Definitely looking like domestic will be >50% of the gross based on how it's performing in a few major markets. 

All the kiddos on this board might not remember it, but back in the olden days, superhero movies frequently did not do terribly great overseas. Comic book superheroes were seen as more of an American thing.

I wonder if the fact that Into The Spider-Verse is basically comic book central station is hurting a little. Comic book overload if you will. Without the live action spectacle that still seems to fly so well with many overseas audiences.

Obviously, competition from Aquaman or whatnot is hurting too, but I do wonder if it's just a bit too comicbook-y for a lot of folks.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Just came out watching Spider Man: Into The Spider Verse, pretty sure its best Spidey film, however my favourite remain Homecoming. *hide*

Opening is poor in India, however, on expected note though, animations are weak here.

Does India have much of a tradition of animation? I can't think of a single Indian-made animation film off the top of my head, but I admit I don't know Indian filmmaking that well outside the usual Bollywood stuff.

Edited by Wrath

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’s also an older skewing animated movie moreso than Ralph 2, Grinch or even Lego Batman. It may be closer to Incredibles 2 in terms of frontloadedness.

Besides December is all about legs so the OW may be deflated in exchange. With a Ferdinand/Sing (not the best comps I know) like multiple with a $25M OW gives it $193M DOM

Agree with the first part, but if Spider-Man does a 7.67x (Sing) or a Ferdinand (6.3x) that would be absolutely crazy.

But even I2 Preview-OW multiplier would give Spider-Man a $34M OW.

Edited by Taruseth

Just now, Wrath said:

Does India have much of a tradition of animation? I can't think of a single Indian-made animation film off the top of my head, but I admit I don't know Indian filmmaking that well outside the usual Bollywood stuff.

Indian animation sucks. Sucks badly. Most of them are basically "mythological" or "religious" stories.

The highest grossing animation is Chaar Sahibzaade with just ₹28cr ($4.5mn). The second best is less than ₹7cr ($1mn).

Hollywood animation have their niche, only Incredible 2 is able to cross ₹50cr. No other film managed even ₹30cr.

Top Animation films in India

• Like 2

BOM using TRON Legacy as a comp... yikes that was considered frontloaded and a disappointment 8 years ago. (3.6/44OW)

Very pleased - after the slower than normal pick up to sales this week, I was concerned it wasn't gonna top 3m. Should get close / over 40m this weekend.

We saw the 5PM ITSV showing last night.  The theater was half full, and it was a mix of families and older fanboys.  The audience ate it up.  There were big laughs throughout, and a palpable buzz leaving the auditorium.  ITSV will play SO WELL with the hardcore fans -- there's a ridiculous amount of in-jokes, almost too many to catch the first time -- and it's fun and accessible for the GA.  I totally see why everyone's going gaga for it.

It's also (should be) the clear front-runner for Best Animated Picture.  The Animation is Bonkers Gorgeous.  The 3rd Act is just a feast for the eyes.

That said, I do think if you, or someone you know, easily suffer from sensory overload, I would suggest seeing if you could find a sensory-friendly showing.  It's not a bad as that terrible Screensaver v Elastic Girl flashing light fight, but there is A LOT to take it.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 4