That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

58 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Marwen is flopping because the marketing didn't make it clear that this was an open invitation to Marwen.  They made it appear as if it was an invite-only event, when in reality everyone was allowed into Marwen.

i think it's because everyone thought he was saying more gumbo.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Wait why do people say that Aqm is dissapointing when it is on track to open above tracking?

Because people convinced themselves it was going to crush tracking, so when it “merely” comes in on the higher side of what people forecasted months ago, posters weigh it against their inflated expectations :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Traditionally the post-Thanksgiving weekend has been a no-man's land, and studios generally don't release anything New Year's weekend because everything tends to stay flat and they're essentially leaving a week's worth of box office on the table. 

That is why Christmas often gets these films bunched up like this; because studios want to get ahead of the full two weeks off kids have.

Yes, traditionally, it has bunched, but never this spectacularly on both ends...I mean, I feel bad for the theaters who had empty screens til Dec 14...and now empty screens on sh*tty openers for the Christmas week (those who booked Marwen for this week have got to be crying inside if they are a reserved theater who may have single seats sold to multiple showings)...

18 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Wait why do people say that Aqm is dissapointing when it is on track to open above tracking?

Because they love crapping on DC. If it were another film, there would not be the same sentiment. Due to the holiday, Aquaman is on track (albeit not assured) to outgross Ant Man, Dr. Strange Venom and Logan who are very good comps, yet those movies were rightfully seen to have good to great box office performances. Since it’s Aquaman, people are going with “boring weekend”, “not that good”, “overestimated”. Really does give me a good idea of which posters/members I can take seriously in the future and those I won’t. 

• Like 4

I'll admit my disappointment is with the overall box office...this weekend has a lot of box office potential, and it's not hitting it across the market...with MP2 crashing into the weekend (recovery TBD), you'd think that the box office would reallocate...but instead, everything is low...(okay, Aquaman fans of which I am one, it's on tracking, but tracking for a DC movie wasn't that great...MoS and WW, this has not reached...and this is 2018 and supers, otherwise known as the year they almost all go big and exceed tracking...ala Venom:)...

If my Math doesn't suck, using Deadlines figures, we're looking at a $180Mish total DOM weekend (top 12 plus some slosh) when we have a DC supers opener, a Disney opener, and a brand new, highly rated Transformers opener...plus other openers and single week carryovers...

Maybe Star Wars has gotten expectations for this weekend and the total holiday out of whack...but pre-Star Wars, you had crap openers for a few years, so it's hard to find a good comparison on what this weekend's total DOM BO "should" have been...but with the record DOM box office year so far in 2018, this and last weekend just hasn't felt like it "should."  Maybe next week will pick it back up into that category...

I mean, it feels like going out with a whimper after starting the year with such a bang!

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I also don't think Ralph or Poppins would've benefited much from a swap. Ralph being a boy-centric film still would've had to deal with three other boy-skewing genre movies, and Poppins, at least theoretically, would've had the fantasy tentpole competition from Fantastic Beasts. Ultimately I think the Poppins is just more square looking to modern audiences compared to other Disney ventures, and expectations were always unrealistic for it, whether they were from Disney themselves or from box office observers.

Can't find the later run, but Ralph on its opening previews and Wednesday played as 4 quadrant as it gets...from Deadline...

"Deadline
Ralph Breaks the Internet drew a 40% general audience, along with 39% kids and 21% parents. Overall Ralph 2 drew 52% females to 48% males with near even split of 51% boys to 49% girls under 12. Moms outnumbered Dads, 58% to 42%. Kids loved the sequel at 91%. Demo spread was 30% each for M25- and F25- with 21% females over 25 and 19% men over 25. Caucasians numbered 50% followed by 22% Hispanic, 12% Asian and 8% African American."

Edited by TwoMisfits

It’s kinda weird that some think this whole ‘below expectations’ thing is exclusive to DC movies. As though it doesn’t happen for all movies, even the ones that leg out to impressive totals like A Star is Born and IW. Ant-man and the Wasp, WiR2, Deadpool 2, Christopher Robin, etc. were considered disappointing by some as well. This year (and last) has had multiple movies that prompted similar discussions. It’s fine to point out that the numbers aren’t underwhelming, but whining that it’s a DC bias thing is funny. It’s really just a box office expectations vs. reality thing that happens for every movie. MPR is facing it too. This whole Disney/Marvel vs. DC thing is getting so overblown and tiring. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Because they love crapping on DC. If it were another film, there would not be the same sentiment. Due to the holiday, Aquaman is on track (albeit not assured) to outgross Ant Man, Dr. Strange Venom and Logan who are very good comps, yet those movies were rightfully seen to have good to great box office performances. Since it’s Aquaman, people are going with “boring weekend”, “not that good”, “overestimated”. Really does give me a good idea of which posters/members I can take seriously in the future and those I won’t. 

Why the persecution complex? People think the box office all around is underwhelming. It's not just about Aquaman and DC. Don't worry, you can take people seriously. Nobody's out to get Aquaman,

• Like 1

LMAO so post-JL and until just before a couple of weeks back, the narrative was "DCEU is doomed, Aquaman will get destroyed by Poppins, good luck to DC films now making 700-800M WW, 45M long range predicts are right on the money, even Shazam would outperform Aquaman".

Now it's "Boring numbers, not tracking that well for a DC film, it's not making the monster numbers it's making in China, it's no Star Wars":rofl:

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

LMAO so post-JL and until just before a couple of weeks back, the narrative was "DCEU is doomed, Aquaman will get destroyed by Poppins, good luck to DC films now making 700-800M WW, 45M long range predicts are right on the money, even Shazam would outperform Aquaman".

Now it's "Boring numbers, not tracking that well for a DC film, it's not making the monster numbers it's making in China, it's no Star Wars":rofl:

Spot on... A like was not enough to high five on this post. It is schizophrenic to say the least. Aquaman is now “underperforming”, when most people here would have not believed a 70-75+ opening last month.... LMAO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Bumblebee is basically a total reboot of the Transformers series. I’d be interested in finding out how the flopping of The Last Knight caused the filmmakers to do massive rewrites because it was reported to be a prequel to the Bay movies when it was first announced.

Massive spoiler

Spoiler

Massive spoiler, warning again

Spoiler

If you are still here, be warned that the next one has the spoiler...

Spoiler

Last chance...

Spoiler

It is a prequel in every sense of the word. It is the exact same Universe. They even explain how Bumblebee lost his voice, how it becomes the car of TF1 and the Autobots getting to Earth.

Edited by CJohn

12 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's going to 'boring numbers' it's way to likely 850-900 million worldwide.  Top 10 all time for a live action comic book movie is very possible (not adjusted of course) if it can get past Spider-Man: Homecoming 880 million ... could reach #9 if it gets by Spider-Man 3's 890.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, in the one really bright spot for the holidays, the Peter Jackson documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old" has now grown from 1 screening at my local on Dec 27 to FOUR (hilariously, they start 1 minute apart at the 1pm hour).  3 are already sold out, and the 4th is on its way.  I'll be amused if they end up booking every 1pm hour screening for this movie - you almost wonder if this should have been the limited movie that grew vs the incredibly limited 2 date movie at select screens...

I mean, $2.3M for the single showings at 1100 theaters on Dec 17 was out of nowhere for me (since I didn't hear about the movie before I saw the gross that day...and then word was everywhere)...but I could see it doubling that number on Dec 27...maybe it will earn a full release that way:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

You forgot "Solo would have done better in December"

• Like 1