sfran43

Wednesday numbers

42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

End of year race for the top 10:

9 Ant-Man and the Wasp BV $622.7 $216.6 34.8% $406.0 65.2%
10 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald WB $613.7 $155.3 25.3% $458.4 74.7%
11 Aquaman WB $596.2 $122.6 20.6% $473.6 79.4%

FB will remain tenth. Still has 10-15M left from Japan (+3M that has already grossed on weekdays) and bit more from France and Germany

Edited by salvador-232
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

my second act under 35m and holmes under 30m clubs dom are gonna be so close...

Looking at the last time Christmas matched this year :

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-12-26&track=oneshot.htm

Movies seem to all have added at least 10 times what they did the 26 (many went on to add closer to 15 times than 10 that day).

If this year end up being a bit similar 10x would push Holmes at 45m, Second act at 32.6m, terrible audience rating for Holmes could stil make it interesting too but it would need quite the bad legs to add less than 6 times is last single day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Aquaman will finish the calendar year at #8 passing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Won't pass Deadpool 2 to probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

At least 30 mil WW on Thursday, 100 mil during the weekend and another 25 mil on Monday. Ends up with 750. Unless Aquaman drops abysmally in the weekend, there is no way it isn't beating Deadpool 2.

So if Beale Street could talk has hit 1 million in just 2 weeks in 6 Theaters. It also has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a 9.0 average in 87 on Metacritic with 15 100 scores. The studio has really done a fantastic job. It's clear this will be there big Oscar movie, Oscar nominations morning. Now that Vice has failed critically and financially the studio needs to focus on this film Oscars campaign.

Edited by Curtis1986

I really enjoyed Vice a lot.  A few parts were way too on the nose but it’s a good and compelling portrait of Cheney for the most part.  One scene made me laugh really hard but everyone else in the theater was dead silent 🤔

Also the mid credits scene is great.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

So if Beale Street could talk has hit 1 million in just 2 weeks in 6 Theaters. It also has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a 9.0 average in 87 on Metacritic with 15 100 scores. The studio has really done a fantastic job. It's clear this will be there big Oscar movie, Oscar nominations morning. Now that Vice has failed critically and financially the studio needs to focus on this film Oscars campaign.

As someone who adored Beale Street, the trip to a million was greatly helped by expanding to 60 or so theaters on Tuesday.

Really hoping for the best, though, since it truly is a wonderful movie.

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

As they oh so brilliantly pointed out it was above TLJ first Wednesday, even so I'd say 20k are hardly "outstripped", which leads me to the point, that one could compare TLJ's run after it's second weekend to Aquaman's full run.

TLJ first full week was worth 296.6M, that leaves 323.58M for the rest of his run.

And TLJ second weekend gross was 71.56M, compared to AQM 73M for first weekend inc. all Previews.
And TLJ third weekend was 52.5M, which is about the predicted second weekend gross of AQM.

The further holidays somewhat aline, which means they could somewhat be comparable.
TLJ of course had a quite harsh drop between it's third and fourth weekend, followed by another drop of 50% on the following weekend - holiday weekend -.

On the other hand, the Christmas set of weekdays will be at least 30M smaller for AQM (probably more like 33M), TLJ's were 96.5M and will probably be around 65M (if Thursday is about 15M) for AQN:
That means, that AQM will be around 30M behind TLJ at the same point.

Which would lead to a final gross of about 293M.
I think, that AQM will be able to catch up a little bit.
The next set of weekdays for TLJ were worth 31.7M

And AQM should be able to do more than that, because it has NYE and NY during the week and not just NY.

I will probably regret saying this a lot, but well, I just thought it was funny.

But I'd say this points to AQM grossing 300M (or at least get close to it).

Edited by Taruseth
  • Thanks 1

Both Venom and Aquaman are seen as slam dunks successes thanks to their very unusual and crazy performances  in China.

They are the two biggest superhero films after Avengers IW I think over there ... which is crazy if you think about it for 2 seconds.

Take out the China of the equation, or even a more normal 80-120m BO intake there,  and you have an entirely different narrative.

Just sayin'.

Aquaman is doing very well in the US tho but it seems every superhero film will be successful in the US until the ends of times.

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Both Venom and Aquaman are seen as slam dunks successes thanks to their very unusual and crazy performances  in China.

They are the two biggest superhero films after Avengers IW I think over there ... which is crazy if you think about it for 2 seconds.

Take out the China of the equation, or even a more normal 80-120m BO intake there,  and you have an entirely different narrative.

Just sayin'.

Aquaman is doing very well in the US tho but it seems every superhero film will be successful in the US until the ends of times.

Remove the $700M Black Panther made in the U.S. and the total wouldn't be as impressive...    genius 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Just sayin'.

Aquaman with a more normal DC 100 million take would still liikely land the film close to 800, maybe closer to 825 million worldwide.

For Aquaman ... that still would have been absurd a few months ago.

China just pushed it over the hump to where it becomes top 10 all time (I believe it will end up #9/#10 if you include Incredibles 2) for the genre.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Astonished 2

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Just sayin'.

Aquaman makes some impressive numbers in other countries too

Also Bohamian Rhapsody ... that is now for some countries highest of the year (including overtaking Avengers Infinitiy War) up to very high # in those and other country's all-time charts

And... more movies surprised outside US/CAN and China

The last sentence... a bit too too...' = gets boring a bit

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Remove the $700M Black Panther made in the U.S. and the total wouldn't be as impressive...    genius 

sitll #3 of OS in 2018

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Aquaman makes some impressive numbers in other countries too

Also Bohamian Rhapsody ... that is now for some countries highest of the year (including overtaking Avengers Infinitiy War) up to very high # in those and other country's all-time charts

And... more movies surprised outside US/CAN and China

The last sentence... a bit too too...' = gets boring a bit

sitll #3 of OS in 2018

But if it had "a more normal" U.S. box office run of $250M  the final total would look quite different. 😁

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Just sayin'.

Quit trying to disparage Aquaman toolbag. Am is going to crush most MCU movies at the box office. Only the Avengers movie are beating it the last few years(BP as well). But most of that came an incredible domestic performance 

34 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

But if it had "a more normal" U.S. box office run of $250M  the final total would look quite different. 😁

if... is boring to me.

I only point out misconceptions / missed information /... see OS-China being nothing unusual for movie xy or... the rest I leave for people that seem to like 'if...'

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

if... is boring to me.

I only point out misconceptions / missed information /... see OS-China being nothing unusual for movie xy or... the rest I leave for people that seem to like 'if...'

have you been following the thread? My reply was to an "If" Aquaman without China "observation"  

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Just sayin'.

I need more time! 

• Haha 2

Deadline has early figures for today's showings of They Shall Not Grow Old, $3.1+ million, making the grand total $5.4 million from the two dates so far (December 17 & 27). It opens in NY/LA/DC on January 11 and expands to the Top 25 markets on February 1 (Super Bowl weekend).

https://deadline.com/2018/12/peter-jackson-they-shall-not-grow-old-box-office-record-1202526739/

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Just sayin'.

AQM is looking at 700+ without China. Even a 100-125 China total would have taken past 800 ww with ease. Insane 275 China total is putting 1b on the table but it's not a case like RPO. AQM Dom could beat Venom Dom by 50%+ with a similar China. OS-China should at least match Venom's 380 odd but 400+ is possible.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1