The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

Am I the only one who sees the incredible irony in declaring Irishmen the epitome of filmmaking while the movie is anywhere to be seen at the theaters ?

Sounds like the Premise of a Twilight Episode or a Kafkaian nightmare.

Oops, I gorgot.

Progress.

Art can be anywhere or anytyhing if you  let it be, right ?

Should be retitled Smarphone Irishmen tbh.

Edited by The Futurist

https://awardswatch.com/atlanta-film-critics-circle-afcc-go-for-parasite/

Top 10 Films
1. PARASITE
2. THE IRISHMAN
3. MARRIAGE STORY
4. ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
5. 1917
6. LITTLE WOMEN
7. UNCUT GEMS
8. KNIVES OUT
9. PAIN AND GLORY
10. APOLLO 11

Best Lead Actor
ADAM DRIVER – MARRIAGE STORY

Best Lead Actress
RENEE ZELLWEGER – JUDY

Best Supporting Actor
BRAD PITT – ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD

Best Supporting Actress
LAURA DERN – MARRIAGE STORY

Best Ensemble Cast
THE IRISHMAN

Best Director
BONG JOON-HO – PARASITE

Best Screenplay
BONG JOON-HO and HAN JIN-WON – PARASITE

Best Documentary
APOLLO 11

Best International Film
PARASITE

Best Animated Film
TOY STORY 4

Best Cinematography
ROGER DEAKINS – 1917

Best Original Score
THOMAS NEWMAN – 1917

AFCC Special Award for BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER
KELVIN HARRISON JR.

AFCC Special Award for BEST FIRST FILM
OLIVIA WILDE for BOOKSMART

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

https://awardswatch.com/atlanta-film-critics-circle-afcc-go-for-parasite/

Top 10 Films
1. PARASITE
2. THE IRISHMAN
3. MARRIAGE STORY
4. ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
5. 1917
6. LITTLE WOMEN
7. UNCUT GEMS
8. KNIVES OUT
9. PAIN AND GLORY
10. APOLLO 11

Best Lead Actor
ADAM DRIVER – MARRIAGE STORY

Best Lead Actress
RENEE ZELLWEGER – JUDY

Best Supporting Actor
BRAD PITT – ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD

Best Supporting Actress
LAURA DERN – MARRIAGE STORY

Best Ensemble Cast
THE IRISHMAN

Best Director
BONG JOON-HO – PARASITE

Best Screenplay
BONG JOON-HO and HAN JIN-WON – PARASITE

Best Documentary
APOLLO 11

Best International Film
PARASITE

Best Animated Film
TOY STORY 4

Best Cinematography
ROGER DEAKINS – 1917

Best Original Score
THOMAS NEWMAN – 1917

AFCC Special Award for BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER
KELVIN HARRISON JR.

AFCC Special Award for BEST FIRST FILM
OLIVIA WILDE for BOOKSMART

I know this is one of the smaller critics awards and it doesn't mean much but A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is oddly missing from the top 10 :thinking:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

I know this is one of the smaller critics awards and it doesn't mean much but A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is oddly missing from the top 10 :thinking:

As charming of a movie as it is I think A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood isn't gonna get much of anything this season tbh. Getting the feeling another Hanks snub is incoming.

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Glad to see that Parasite is sweeping USA indie space like ROMA,

the film will make at least 20m by end of the year.

This kind of provide us some insight about how much Roma will make if it received proper release. 

Roma & Parasite are very different in terms of accessibility and audience appeal. I doubt Roma would've made anywhere close to Parasite even with a proper release. 

Parasite has made over 120M WW with only like 70M from its home country. I don't see a film like Roma coming close to matching that number. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

As charming of a movie as it is I think A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood isn't gonna get much of anything this season tbh. Getting the feeling another Hanks snub is incoming.

Doubtful GG is going to snub Hanks and GG means more than regional or even major critics awards. 

12 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Roma & Parasite are very different in terms of accessibility and audience appeal. I doubt Roma would've made anywhere close to Parasite even with a proper release. 

Parasite has made over 120M WW with only like 70M from its home country. I don't see a film like Roma coming close to matching that number. 

It is worth to highlight roma did 4m in its informal release. I don't see how it can't double it if it got proper release.  Plus, there are more Spanish-speaking in USA than Korean-speaking community. No korean film ever hit 3m but we had multiple Spanish film breakout in small scale here in USA., 

I think if there's one year when Netflix needs to make a big Oscar splash, this year's probably it. There's a war surging between the different streaming platforms, and if Netflix gets a bunch of Oscar wins with The Irishman, Marriage Story, Klaus, The Two Popes, American Factory--whatever they can secure wins with--then that'd be a great look for them. They wouldn't have to worry about Disney+ overtaking them, because *accessible prestige* will be stamped onto the image of the platform. We'll see how many wins Netflix manages to secure this time around.

Edited by SLAM!

it's funny that a few years ago amazon tried to make themselves "the prestige streaming service" with some oscar players and that woody allen contract that fell apart. nowadays it seems like they get netflix's sloppy seconds at best. their stuff hasn't really been connecting. if any auteur type filmmaker has to go streaming they'll want netflix absolutely.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's funny that a few years ago amazon tried to make themselves "the prestige streaming service" with some oscar players and that woody allen contract that fell apart. nowadays it seems like they get netflix's sloppy seconds at best. their stuff hasn't really been connecting. if any auteur type filmmaker has to go streaming they'll want netflix absolutely.

I would still be honored to have my film distributed by Amazon Studios. The films they're releasing these days might not be the flashiest, but there's still some prestige connected to them. At this current moment, I see Netflix as "buzzy" prestige and Amazon as "subdued" prestige.

49 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

EK5Sz7aWwAAAwaR?format=jpg&name=small

CATS CATS CATS CATS

Films that are absent include Godzilla: King of the MonstersJokerMaleficent: Mistress of EvilIt: Chapter 2I Am MotherEscape RoomShazam!Pokemon: Detective PikachuDark Phoenix, and I guess maybe John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum, too.

Did Warner Bros. forget to submit for this category, or does someone have a vendetta against them? They don't have a single film on this list, and their snubs are some of the most ridiculous.

My ten-film shortlist prediction is:

Ad Astra

Avengers: Endgame

Aladdin

Alita: Battle Angel

Ford V. Ferrari

The Irishman

Jumanji: The Next Level

The Lion King

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Edited by SLAM!

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

My ten-film shortlist prediction is:

Ad Astra

Avengers: Endgame

Aladdin

Alita: Battle Angel

Ford V. Ferrari

The Irishman

Jumanji: The Next Level

The Lion King

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I agree with the others but i'd switch out the crossed out ones for captain marvel (space shit, which usually does well, plus Sam Jackson got some of the most praised de-aging so far), gemini man (they're not against getting flops at least on the shortlist, Marwen was on it last year and gemini man's solid work) and spider-man (i think the mysterio sequences are gonna put it in there)

• Like 1