Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

5 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

4 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

I wish we could go back to a quick “thumbs up”. Whilst I’m sure their negative reviews are top tier, a lot of these new web critics do not have the skill to meaningfully discuss films they enjoy without littering the place with hyperbolic over-reactions (which work for their unfavourable assessments, so why not everything else?).

Edited by AJG

So far all the reaction have been overwhelming positive. I still can't believe this won't get TGM bump especially after TGM, Cruise' star power brand has in a way, associated to old Hollywood, and that should please some daddy from red states. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Hoping for $300M Dom, $200M China and $500M from the rest of the world. 

Way too high, China is no longer as friendly to Hollywood as in 2018. ATSV is the clearest example where every part of world have the movie increase from the first one, except China and it is not like the movie badly received there. 

It'll be a hit but I still think it's being slightly overestimated. TGM was a nostalgia sequel to an 80s icon with formulaic and crowd-pleasing emotion. This is just another sequel in a cool action franchise with Cruise. I think there's a limit and set audience. Only the 2nd and the 4th had the biggest box office bumps and jumps which is natural because 2 was the first sequel and 4 was basically a reboot after 5 years. The sales in the tracking thread also indicates solid but not earth-shattering OW which means majority of box office will emerge from the legs and WOM... which is understandable and likely but again, it's losing IMAX the week after and is facing against the final 2 mega films of the summer (one being direct audience competition). 

The OWs of Fallout and Rogue Nation accounted for and 27.8% (3.60x) and 28.5% (3.51x) of total domestic box office. When adjusted for inflation, only 1 and 2 cross 300m: 366.4m for 2 and 375.4m for 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

There's been like only one negative reaction so far.   I would be shocked if this went under 90%

Same thing with ATSV. There was only one negative reaction from what I recall it was that it wasn't as good as the first one.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

So far all the reaction have been overwhelming positive. I still can't believe this won't get TGM bump especially after TGM, Cruise' star power brand has in a way, associated to old Hollywood, and that should please some daddy from red states. 

Does MI lean towards more of Blue rather than Red? i thought it was equally liked by both

11 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Does MI lean towards more of Blue rather than Red? i thought it was equally liked by both

It probably is, but that one side of youtube will probably support Cruise in spite of Disney or something lol.

31 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

People are reporting that this movie is more plot heavy and light in action compared to MI6...... this could affect its chances of being big enough a crowd pleaser to get to 1 billion. 

uh where did you read that at? Most of the reactions have said the there a lot of great action sequences.They have said the plot does get complicated but not at the expense of the action. 

I expect the tracking to have a massive increase in the coming days. If this wasn’t opening on a Wednesday I think it would push $100 million OW. 

Either way that 5 day is going to be tasty as MI tries to hoover up as much PLF gold as it can before Nolan arrives. 

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Never doubt the McQ+Cruise combo

Cruise the greatest action star in the history of cinema. Ever since Top gun (85), we knew he was special.

Also a shout out to Atwell- she is an excellent star in her own right- apparently shes great in this.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

I wish we could go back to a quick “thumbs up”. Whilst I’m sure their negative reviews are top tier, a lot of these new web critics do not have the skill to meaningfully discuss films they enjoy without littering the place with hyperbolic over-reactions (which work for their unfavourable assessments, so why not everything else?).

This. I mean, ok, good for every corner getting their voice heard and all that, but the way some of these reactions (and reviews) are worded makes me fuckin hate the internet.

5 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

People are reporting that this movie is more plot heavy and light in action compared to MI6...... this could affect its chances of being big enough a crowd pleaser to get to 1 billion. 

I don't think this would've gotten there even in the best circumstances. Hard-boiled action franchises like this have a hard ceiling as we've seen with John Wick 4 earlier this year. People bringing up Top Gun 2 tend to forget how much of a shock that movie's performance was. Most people were expecting at best around $700M worldwide for it. It was a lightning in a bottle, and those are near impossible to catch again. Which is why I'm expecting this to top out at around $800M worldwide. But, if this one really clicks with the audience, then I can see next year's movie reach a billion.