filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The point of BlackKklansman is that white supremacy is still a huge issue that's why it ended with Charlottesville

I don't get your point. Look, you'd have to be blind not to think racism isn't still an issue in the US. Heck, I *live* in Charlottesville, I didn't see the fighting in August (we wisely left town for the day) but I did see the hundreds of assholes marching and chanting with their torches the night before. I know Tim Heaphy, the guy who wrote the report on why things turned out so badly and where the mistakes happened in the chain of command. People forget that about 6 weeks prior to the fighting there was an actual KKK march in Charlottesville and it was freaking comical. Like 30 KKK guys showed up, all in their 60s and 70s. The police had to protect THEM from the crowd of like 2,000 counter-protesters (who ended up getting tear-gassed because they refused to disperse for HOURS after the KKK guys left).

On the other hand, you'd also have to be blind to not think race relations have improved since the early 1970s. Not only does the KKK not have any power, they're literally a joke. When the police commit acts of racial brutality, tens of thousands of people protest and its on nationwide news instead of being swept under the rug and instantly forgotten. The world is a very different place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Because going forward with positivity hasn't gone anywhere for society. We've had plenty of movies about "look at how far we've come," but there's still police brutality, hate crimes, and even our own politicians citing racism. Spike Lee made a harsh reminder that we still have a long way to go, and that racism and white supremacy and the actions of the KKK is still a factor in society and American culture. And yes, a movie isn't going to change the world overnight, but considering we just had a Neo-Nazi rally in 2017, I feel like reminding the public how trash the world is is far more beneficial than "look at this wacky white guy learning to love black people".

And no, I don't give a shit if the GA likes it, or it has good legs. Good on other people if they enjoy it, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize something, or prefer a "less popular" alternative.

Completely agree. I mean, we're all entitled to our own opinion. Just because someone takes the "less popular route" doesn't mean their opinion should be shit on. Hacksaw Ridge was my favourite movie of 2016 and I don't see anyone shitting on that opinion in 2019. If the GA likes a movie, great. If critics like a movie, great. If the academy likes a movie, great. If some people don't like said movie, that's also great.

9 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Hell, I don't even hate Green Book. It's a perfectly fine dramedy with decent performances and a couple of funny gags. I just don't think it's as good as the other nominees, and I prefer Spike Lee's messaging than Peter Farrelly's, especially considering Lee is a racial minority.

This is just the part I don't understand, and forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but here it sounds like you're suggesting that Lee's messaging is more relevant or important because he's a racial minority, not because of the messages he's actually conveying. If I were Lee, I would want people to understand my messages because they're actually looking at what I'm saying, not at the colour of my skin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

1. The Shape of Water

2. The Artist

3. Green Book

4. The King's Speech

5. Moonlight

6. 12 Years a Slave

7. Argo

8. Spotlight

9. Birdman

1. 12 Years a Slave

2. Argo

3. The King's Speech

4. Green Book

5. The Shape of Water

6. Moonlight

7. Spotlight

Never saw the Artist

32 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I lived in a muslim-majority country, I can prove Trump is right, they were cheering, although not on massive celebration scale but they were privately in a conversation. As a matter of fact, I can assure Not all Muslim are the same majority of them aren't but too bad, I saw quite a number of them did 

He said they were cheering in NEW JERSEY.

"I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down," the Republican presidential candidate said at a Nov. 21 rally in Birmingham, Ala. "And I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering."

He LIED.  He lies more than he breathes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still feel the hurt that Close had tonight when everybody was hyping up about her win but she still lose out. 

While Olivia Colman was delivering the funny speech that everybody laugh, it just feel that how it hurt to close when she had to go along with the situation 

Glenn Close is gonna kick down the gates at Paramount on Monday, Tuesday at the latest, and demand they start pre-production on Sunset Boulevard.  She will be fine.  That Oscar is gonna "come home at last."  

No, really, I can't stress how READY I am for Sunset Boulevard.  I deserve the trashy trainwreck of my dreams.  It's such a shame Ryan Murphy is off on Netflix.

• Haha 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

Glenn Close is gonna kick down the gates at Paramount on Monday, Tuesday at the latest, and demand they start pre-production on Sunset Boulevard.  She will be fine.  That Oscar is gonna "come home at last."  

No, really, I can't stress how READY I am for Sunset Boulevard.  I deserve the trashy trainwreck of my dreams.  It's such a shame Ryan Murphy is off on Netflix.

Cats (really, in what universe will that movie not be a total fiasco?) isn't enough of a potential trashy trainwreck for ya?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

This is just the part I don't understand, and forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but here it sounds like you're suggesting that Lee's messaging is more relevant or important because he's a racial minority, not because of the messages he's actually conveying.

Well...yeah. Obviously people not in a certain minority group can tackle what said group deals with successfully and have done so in the past, but I feel it's more effective when a black person directs a movie about the black experience, or a gay person directs a movie about the gay experience. It's more authentic, and comes from a more personal place, and more often than not, even if the movie itself may not overall work, it's able to tackle said themes effectively.

It's the equivalent of a professional chef recommending to me a restaurant versus some average guy off the street. Considering the former has the experience and understanding of what being a chef or being in a quality restaurant is like, why wouldn't I prefer the person who lives in that certain environment or experience over an outsider?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I dunno, depending on the day, I'd argue that Klansman was a better movie than Green Book. But does anyone remember Halle Berry's Razzie acceptance speech? To be a good winner you also have to be a good loser. And it's not like Lee "lost" tonight, hell, he himself got an Oscar!

He wouldn’t have acted like that if he had lost to any other movie.

I doubt he cares too much about losing another Oscar, whereas I think he does care Green Book won (especially over a year full of great cinema about race relations from black filmmakers)

• Haha 1

12 years a slave and moonlight are the masterpiece of dealing with self-racism or racial tension and they did won.

Blackkklansman on the other hand, was too extreme and provocative to me and it is irony that the film about condemning a white-supremacy. The film throw all of the art of subtlety out of the window.

This is the year that I feel nothing deserve to win for me, I am totally indifferent about who is wining.   

• Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Okay. That isn't right. She's an executive producer, she belongs onstage with the film's representatives, rather than in a lottery seat. That's just messed up.

On the one hand, that does seem weird. On the other hand, movies can have a LOT of producers. Green Book had 5 producers, a co-producer, and 5 more executive producers. Octavia Spencer is great and all, but there probably just wasn't room to let Green Book have all 11 producers of various sorts sit in the audience. Bohemian Rhapsody had 10 if you include Singer.

Edited by Wrath

Just now, TalismanRing said:

He said they were cheering in NEW JERSEY.

He LIED.  He lies more than he breathes.

I'll say this for Trump, it's hilarious how he gets under people's skins and can make them take a thread like this that isn't about him at all and make it all about him, lol.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

12 years a slave and moonlight are the masterpiece of dealing with self-racism or racial tension and they did won.

Blackkklansman on the other hand, was too extreme and provocative to me and it is irony that the film about condemning a white-supremacy. The film throw all of the art of subtlety out of the window.

This is the year that I feel nothing deserve to win for me, I am totally indifferent about who is wining.   

BlackKklansman isn't extreme at all, if anything it's fairly moderate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

1. 12 Years a Slave

2. Argo

3. The King's Speech

4. Green Book

5. The Shape of Water

6. Moonlight

7. Spotlight

Never saw the Artist

1. Birdman

2. Spotlight

3. 12 Years a slave

4. Moonlight

5. Argo

6. Green Book

7. The King Speech

8. The Artist

9. The Shape of water

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cats (really, in what universe will that movie not be a total fiasco?) isn't enough of a potential trashy trainwreck for ya?

Cats don't count.  It's Cats.  I need Glenn Close Over Acting The Eff Out Of A Role She's Twenty Years Too Old For As She's Not Hitting The Right Key.

Just now, Wrath said:

On the one hand, that does seem weird. On the other hand, movies can have a LOT of producers. Green Book had 5 producers, a co-producer, and 5 more executive producers. Octavia Spencer is great and all, but there probably just wasn't room to let Green Book have all 11 producers of various sorts sit in the audience.

Besides we all know Octavia's real prize will come when she scores a hit later this year with MA.

"Don't make me drink allloooonnnnneeee!"

• Like 2